Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:37 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,704,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
I'm guessing if these teens just dressed business casual, the police wouldn't have bothered them.
Yeah or not using "Ebonics" or neck rolling either. lol

Old 10-04-2014, 09:45 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,940,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
My thoughts, as well.

Why do these "youths" insist on showing off their underwear? I'm very fuzzy on that. It looks ridiculous, makes them look like thugs, and just sets them up as targets for the police.

Why not make your life a little easier and dress like you're NOT a thug?
Because that's what it's about - stating allegiance to a certain lifestyle and set of values. It is deliberate.

Second, a least of few of them have been convinced that they are being "political" - often, by white neo-liberals. This group sees "racism !!!!" everywhere yet are most often astonishingly racist themselves. Their own denial just lends impetus to the whole cycle.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:46 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,767,808 times
I just don't get how they don't want to conform to the norms of society. And then they complain when problems arise. When I was a teen I wore my hair long, sported a beard and mustache and wore blue jeans all the time. I soon found out as I entered the adult word that continuing to dress, act, and groom myself as a teen would not get me far at all.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,940,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I just don't get how they don't want to conform to the norms of society. And then they complain when problems arise.
I would then suggest that you get out there and educate yourself, talk to people.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I just don't get how they don't want to conform to the norms of society. And then they complain when problems arise. When I was a teen I wore my hair long, sported a beard and mustache and wore blue jeans all the time. I soon found out as I entered the adult word that continuing to dress, act, and groom myself as a teen would not get me far at all.
Haha we all hate "countercultures" right? lol

Old 10-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
So wearing long hair, or a beard and moustache will not get you far in life. lmao.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
These articles are click bait. Since all newspapers post online, news publishing isn't making much money. Internet advertising still doesn't pay what news organizations are used to. So websites are now desperate to find shocking, provacative news.

Lately it's always innocent Black angel is wrong by the cops. Only at the end of the article will they put that the person had a rap sheet longer than I am tall (over 6 feet here).
The cops will usually be acquitted anyway in cases like these, even if the cops were truly in the wrong.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:03 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,767,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I would then suggest that you get out there and educate yourself, talk to people.
I doubt very much that they have anything to teach me.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I doubt very much that they have anything to teach me.
perhaps its because you have your own ingrained bias against them?... even despite the fact that you don't truly know them on a personal level.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:23 AM

19,074 posts, read 14,010,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
As noted, news media outside cable tv and radio isn't doing well. They've got to get their clicks, so they come up with the most outrageous titles and sensationalize it to the max. It's getting to the point where I often don't bother clicking on these articles anymore. Why should I contribute to this stupidity?

In order to get clicks, some writers are demonizing police and presenting criminals as perfect little black angels!
100% agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City