Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 12:16 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Umm yeah so are we all staying inside then or what?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Let's think about it this way: if there were an announcement made at noon tomorrow that an infected person had been sighted that morning on whatever is your main subway line that you normally use, would you avoid that subway line and try to take another one if possible when you go home? I would, since my area is served by several different lines. I don't think I would want to take the chance that the pole I'm holding was also held that very morning by someone sick with ebola.

So, no, I won't stay home, but I might engage in some avoidance behaviors like riding a different subway line, if I knew which ones to choose! However, I acknowledge that an announcement like that is unlikely to come from an official source. But it might come with someone with an iphone and a twitter account.

Maybe I am overly paranoid

Old 10-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Let's think about it this way: if there were an announcement made at noon tomorrow that an infected person had been sighted that morning on whatever is your main subway line that you normally use, would you avoid that subway line and try to take another one if possible when you go home? I would, since my area is served by several different lines. I don't think I would want to take the chance that the pole I'm holding was also held that very morning by someone sick with ebola.

So, no, I won't stay home, but I might engage in some avoidance behaviors like riding a different subway line, if I knew which ones to choose! However, I acknowledge that an announcement like that is unlikely to come from an official source. But it might come with someone with an iphone and a twitter account.

Maybe I am overly paranoid
I will continue to go about my life as normal. Like jad2k said before, the reason why Ebola is such a problem in Africa is because certain countries over there have serious sanitation issues; that's why it's spreading like wildfire over there. It won't happen here. Anybody remember about that outbreak of measles (which is also highly contagious) in Washington Heights? What ever happened to that one?

Measles Outbreak Hits Northern Manhattan and Bronx - Washington Heights - DNAinfo.com New York

Old 10-13-2014, 12:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
I will continue to go about my life as normal. Like jad2k said before, the reason why Ebola is such a problem in Africa is because certain countries over there have serious sanitation issues; that's why it's spreading like wildfire over there. It won't happen here. Anybody remember about that outbreak of measles (which is also highly contagious) in Washington Heights? What ever happened to that one?

Measles Outbreak Hits Northern Manhattan and Bronx - Washington Heights - DNAinfo.com New York
I guess the measles outbreak was contained because every responsible person is already vaccinated against it.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I guess the measles outbreak was contained because every responsible person is already vaccinated against it.
That's my point. If that same outbreak had happened in Africa, plenty more would have been victim. I'm confident there will be no Ebola outbreak over here. Although to my knowledge there is no vaccine for Ebola, we have way better sanitation services over here.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:13 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
That's my point. If that same outbreak had happened in Africa, plenty more would have been victim. I'm confident there will be no Ebola outbreak over here. Although to my knowledge there is no vaccine for Ebola, we have way better sanitation services over here.
Not only better sanitation but if your relative is sick to the point where they are oozing blood, mucus, and other fluids (you know, the way people are catching it- by touching these fluids) it's highly unlikely that you are going to be sitting at home with them as their care giver. They'd be in the hospital. Also, if said person died, you're probably not going to pick up their body and gather with a few other relatives to clean the body and prepare it for burial. This is common in West Africa and why containment is a problem.

Also, there have been other ebola outbreaks and although much smaller, couldn't have someone spread it to the US during one of those outbreaks? Why has no one concerned addressed this possibility? There were previous outbreaks. There were people coming from and going to the "hot zones" yet there were no pandemic levels outside of Africa. Why do you think that is?

Old 10-13-2014, 02:25 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
Although it is not good to be paranoid but it's good to be aware of your environment and the people around you. Personally, if I see someone around me who appears ill or showing signs of illness, I'm keeping my distance, but that's just common sense.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Although it is not good to be paranoid but it's good to be aware of your environment and the people around you. Personally, if I see someone around me who appears ill or showing signs of illness, I'm keeping my distance, but that's just common sense.
And make sure anyone coughing/sneezing/blowing covers their mouth/nose.

Another concern: We often see sanitation trucks going around with wide open trunk where the garbage has been put in. Not a great practice I think . Maybe we should complain to the sanitation dept.?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:51 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
I don't get why this is an all or nothing issue for you. You're playing the Sobroguy hyperbole game:

"Oh, you don't want people drinking on your stoop? You must be pro-Somalia genocide then!"

Old 10-13-2014, 03:53 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Also, there have been other ebola outbreaks and although much smaller, couldn't have someone spread it to the US during one of those outbreaks? Why has no one concerned addressed this possibility? There were previous outbreaks. There were people coming from and going to the "hot zones" yet there were no pandemic levels outside of Africa. Why do you think that is?
Uh, um, because well, this one has been far worse than any previous outbreaks? uh, doi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City