Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 05:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move in July next year and ideally want to get a studio in the city with parking. Now, I used to live in the city proper (Manhattan) so I know just how expensive things are. So Manhattan is out of the question for me. But are there any good places to check for the other boroughs? I'm looking to spend under $1000 a month on rent/parking combined.

I think my best bet would be Staten Island or parts of Queens, but I'm looking for more solid information then just the borough names.

Also, yes I am considering New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 05:37 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
I pay close to $1000 for a studio and it would cost me an extra $200 per month for a space in the bldg's garage. I don't know how you'd swing under $1000 for both

Old 10-07-2014, 05:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I'm hoping to move in July next year and ideally want to get a studio in the city with parking. Now, I used to live in the city proper (Manhattan) so I know just how expensive things are. So Manhattan is out of the question for me. But are there any good places to check for the other boroughs? I'm looking to spend under $1000 a month on rent/parking combined.

I think my best bet would be Staten Island or parts of Queens, but I'm looking for more solid information then just the borough names.

I think Staten Island and Eastern Queens would be good places to start looking. I have seen some studios listed for $850 on craigslist in Staten Island. Maybe they are real, but maybe they aren't. The question is, though, why would you need paid parking if you are living in remote areas like those? You could just park on the street. There are probably not even any alternate side regulations in areas like that. This way you could increase your rent budget to $1000 (not including parking), which would make things quite a bit easier.

I rarely see rents under $1000 in Queens anymore but perhaps they do exist in the less transit-friendly and more unappealing neighborhoods. And when I do see them listed, they do not include free parking.

The other thing is, don't you need to think about commute to a job? You're putting the cart before the horse to look for a place to live before you know where you will be commuting to, unless you work from home.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think Staten Island and Eastern Queens would be good places to start looking. I have seen some studios listed for $850 on craigslist in Staten Island. Maybe they are real, but maybe they aren't. The question is, though, why would you need paid parking if you are living in remote areas like those? You could just park on the street. There are probably not even any alternate side regulations in areas like that. This way you could increase your rent budget to $1000, which would make things quite a bit easier.

I rarely see rents under $1000 in Queens anymore but perhaps they do exist in the less transit-friendly and more unappealing neighborhoods.

The other thing is, don't you need to think about commute to a job? You're putting the cart before the horse to look for a place to live before you know where you will be commuting to, unless you work from home.
Oh yeah, I just meant parking in general. If free parking is available then for all the better. Also, you're right about the job. I don't live too, too far from the city now, but I think it would be too difficult to commute (not to mention the tolls!) to my current work. I'm actively scopping that out too though. I'm thinking a possibility is taking public transit to work in Manhattan (I have some leads/ins there), but that would be difficult if I consider living in NJ more since then I'd have to take NJ Transit rather than just relying on a monthly NYC pass. I'd like to keep my car though and have it for getting around closer to home (wherever that may end up being).

Also, for rlrl I'm curious what part of the city you live in. I know this is next to impossible for Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx, but have seem some possible things in Staten Island and used to see some in Queens, but I haven't seen anything like that in a while.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I just meant parking in general. If free parking is available then for all the better. Also, you're right about the job. I don't live too, too far from the city now, but I think it would be too difficult to commute (not to mention the tolls!) to my current work. I'm actively scopping that out too though. I'm thinking a possibility is taking public transit to work in Manhattan (I have some leads/ins there), but that would be difficult if I consider living in NJ more since then I'd have to take NJ Transit rather than just relying on a monthly NYC pass. I'd like to keep my car though and have it for getting around closer to home (wherever that may end up being).

Also, for rlrl I'm curious what part of the city you live in. I know this is next to impossible for Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx, but have seem some possible things in Staten Island and used to see some in Queens, but I haven't seen anything like that in a while.
I found something for you for $950 with a parking lot in Far Rockaway Studio Apartment in Far Rockaway, Queens - Spacious Studio from $950! Walking distance to the A train. Check past threads for safety info in the area.

Although beware, I've heard Goldfarb is not a nice landlord.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:11 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
im in central Riverdale on Broadway and W 252 street. there is plenty of free parking on the side streets and avenues, below 251st street it changes to all metered/alternate side parking. from 251st street all the way up to Yonkers many sidestreets have free parking.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I found something for you for $950 with a parking lot in Far Rockaway Studio Apartment in Far Rockaway, Queens - Spacious Studio from $950! Walking distance to the A train. Check past threads for safety info in the area.

Although beware, I've heard Goldfarb is not a nice landlord.
Thanks for the link! I've looked at this website before actually. I think the thing that made me hesistant is that IIRC correctly you had to make a certain amount of money as in for instance for a $950 place you'd have to make at least so and so amount. Any idea if that is still true? So far all I've seen is that they have affordable housing options, which I'd have no problem with (heck I might even qualify for one). Also, what do you mean by Goldfarb being a not nice landlord? Is it just they're really stict about rent being due on time? If that's all then I'm never late with my rent and have a decent amount in savings so that shouldn't be an issue, but if it is something else then that would be good to know.

Also, for rlrl I was curious about how safe parking there is in that area. I think I may have even parked in the area you're talking about one time when I was driving from Connecticut to New Jersey. I didn't have a problem then, but I wouldn't want to judge it on one experience. Also, do a lot of Bronx residents use it to park their cars permanently that you know of? What about some of the cheaper folks from Manhattan? Are there ever times when parking there is not an option? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to be thorough

Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 PM

483 posts, read 870,536 times
Quote:

Hey Dude - My pal Spock thinks your Queens studio plan is illogical. You may want to consider finding NYC studio apartments near a bike rack.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link! I've looked at this website before actually. I think the thing that made me hesistant is that IIRC correctly you had to make a certain amount of money as in for instance for a $950 place you'd have to make at least so and so amount. Any idea if that is still true? So far all I've seen is that they have affordable housing options, which I'd have no problem with (heck I might even qualify for one). Also, what do you mean by Goldfarb being a not nice landlord? Is it just they're really stict about rent being due on time? If that's all then I'm never late with my rent and have a decent amount in savings so that shouldn't be an issue, but if it is something else then that would be good to know.

Also, for rlrl I was curious about how safe parking there is in that area. I think I may have even parked in the area you're talking about one time when I was driving from Connecticut to New Jersey. I didn't have a problem then, but I wouldn't want to judge it on one experience. Also, do a lot of Bronx residents use it to park their cars permanently that you know of? What about some of the cheaper folks from Manhattan? Are there ever times when parking there is not an option? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to be thorough
Rent requirement of 40x is true of most NYC apartments as far as I know. So for a $1000 apt, you have to make $40K per year. Maybe smaller landlords relax this requirement more frequently. Not sure.

Goldfarb is a "notorious slumlord" according to the NY Daily News. Tenants from four Bronx apartment buildings battling landlord from hell* - NY Daily News

Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Finding a studio in Queens for under $1000 that includes parking isn't really realistic. It is possible to find some studios for approx. $1000 in Queens but you would have to park in the street which can be difficult with lack of space and always having to move your car due to alternate side parking regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City