Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:52 AM

7 posts, read 8,539 times

Advertisements

Hi forum!

Months ago I made tentative plans for my mom to come to the city to watch the Thanksgiving parade. My friend had access to a room at one of the hotels on the parade route last year and assured me it wouldn't be a problem to book it again this year. So I made the invitation.

Sadly, it seems my friend's timing was off this year, because the place fell through. I'm determined to figure out another way. My mom is just about the most generous, selfless, kindest person I've ever known, and she got so uncharacteristically excited when I invited her (she's always wanted to see the parade). I need to make it happen.

I'm wondering about other ideas before I tell her we have to show up at Central Park hours early and stand in the cold with the hope we get a good spot (which isn't the end of the world, of course, but a long way from what we had planned and I don't know if standing for hours in the cold would present health concerns). My first thought was restaurants. I'm on the waitlist at Nougatine for that morning, but won't hold my breath -- and even if we get in, we might end up being seated by the back. The only other restaurants I could think of that have windows on the parade route aren't the sort that open in the morning (those in the Time Warner Center). Anyone have any other ideas? Hotels (for watching, not staying), if they weren't ungodly expensive on this day to begin with, are all booked. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 08:00 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyxx View Post
Hi forum!

Months ago I made tentative plans for my mom to come to the city to watch the Thanksgiving parade. My friend had access to a room at one of the hotels on the parade route last year and assured me it wouldn't be a problem to book it again this year. So I made the invitation.

Sadly, it seems my friend's timing was off this year, because the place fell through. I'm determined to figure out another way. My mom is just about the most generous, selfless, kindest person I've ever known, and she got so uncharacteristically excited when I invited her (she's always wanted to see the parade). I need to make it happen.

I'm wondering about other ideas before I tell her we have to show up at Central Park hours early and stand in the cold with the hope we get a good spot (which isn't the end of the world, of course, but a long way from what we had planned and I don't know if standing for hours in the cold would present health concerns). My first thought was restaurants. I'm on the waitlist at Nougatine for that morning, but won't hold my breath -- and even if we get in, we might end up being seated by the back. The only other restaurants I could think of that have windows on the parade route aren't the sort that open in the morning (those in the Time Warner Center). Anyone have any other ideas? Hotels (for watching, not staying), if they weren't ungodly expensive on this day to begin with, are all booked. :/
You are either going to be paying a lot or waiting a long time. There is no other way around it.

ALTHOUGH, I had a friend who was in the parade and she recommends standing along the route in the 50's since it's a little less crowded. Central Park is grand stand only with tickets.

You could always take her the night before to see the balloons inflated. That's fun too.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
You could always take her the night before to see the balloons inflated. That's fun too.
big mistake - that's twice as crowded as the actual parade. You do NOT want to be there

Old 10-29-2014, 12:32 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
big mistake - that's twice as crowded as the actual parade. You do NOT want to be there
I am planning on going to this because i heard it is fun. so should i not?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:52 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I am planning on going to this because i heard it is fun. so should i not?
If it's on your bucket list then go for it, but to answer your question - no it is not fun. If there was 100,000 less people then maybe it would be fun, but the event is a victim of its own success

Old 10-31-2014, 06:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Honestly,
I think it would be kinder to watch the parade with your mother on TV.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Balloon inflation for the Thanksgiving Day parade takes place around the American Museum of Natural History. They start inflating the balloons around mid afternoon. As it has become more popular, there is usually a big crowd starting around 5:00pm. There are barricades on the street to control pedestrian flow and you can't walk leisurely or get in position to take pictures. Police are in the 81st subway station (the Museum stop) which is terribly crowded with people trying to see the balloons. If you want to see it, my advice is to come early in the afternoon or late at night. You will not see all the balloons if you come early but can walk around easier and take pictures.

As for the parade, I usually watch at home where I have both food and a bathroom. If you can't get your restaurant reservation, do you really want your mother standing for 3 hours + to see a parade? If so, google Thanksgiving Day parade route 2014 for suggestions on where to view the parade. Have fun!

Old 11-22-2014, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,539 times
Late reply but thanks for all the ideas. We managed to land reservations at JeanGeorges! Unfortunately their 8 course prix fixe breakfast is not only ungodly expensive but almost certainly problematic for the vegetarian and the diabetic in the party. Ultimately she felt like that would be too stressful for someone who just wants to sit and watch the parade, which I totally understand (JG level fancy makes me uncomfortable too). She nixed the idea of outdoor watching for the horror that would be if weather were bad. We'll see about inflation the night before, but otherwise will try to plan further in advance for the hotel next year..

Old 11-22-2014, 03:10 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:

almost certainly problematic for the vegetarian and the diabetic in the
party.
Oh, what a waste.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:20 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyxx View Post
Late reply but thanks for all the ideas. We managed to land reservations at JeanGeorges! Unfortunately their 8 course prix fixe breakfast is not only ungodly expensive but almost certainly problematic for the vegetarian and the diabetic in the party. Ultimately she felt like that would be too stressful for someone who just wants to sit and watch the parade, which I totally understand (JG level fancy makes me uncomfortable too). She nixed the idea of outdoor watching for the horror that would be if weather were bad. We'll see about inflation the night before, but otherwise will try to plan further in advance for the hotel next year..
I've been several time. This year won't be too cold. I usually watch on the upper west side and don't get there too early. Somewhere between 7-8am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: