Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

NYC bans sale of pet rabbits. I'm usually not in favor of bans but this one I agree with. Apparently rabbits don't make very good pets and the NYC shelters are full of these animals dropped off by people who have found this out.

Last edited by r small; 12-18-2014 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
NYC bans sale of pet rabbits. I'm usually not in favor of bans but this one I agree with. Apparently rabbits don't make very good pets and the NYC shelters are full of these animals dropped off by people who have found this out.
Then it sounds logical to me!

Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
Rabbits are actually very good pets. They are very intelligent, they are very loving and can be trained to do a variety of things like litter box training. People don't put the time in to train the rabbit and they wind up spending 99% of their time in cages and become dirty and smelly so people give up an it's not fair to the rabbit. This ban is a good thing IMO.

I

Old 12-18-2014, 10:54 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Rabbits are actually very good pets. They are very intelligent, they are very loving and can be trained to do a variety of things like litter box training. People don't put the time in to train the rabbit and they wind up spending 99% of their time in cages and become dirty and smelly so people give up an it's not fair to the rabbit. This ban is a good thing IMO.
The problem is... they chew on wires and they don't stop even if they start to get shocked from them. But I agree with what you said. If you ever visit Petco or Petland there is usually always a rabbit that was brought in from someones home.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post

I
From what I understand rabbits aren't fond of being picked up and carried the way cats and small dogs are. So that might make them unsuitable for small children. A friend of mine had a pet rabbit once. I remember it chomped down on my finger pretty good when I tried to feed it a piece of carrot. Other than that it was a pretty nice little animal.

Last edited by r small; 12-18-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 11:22 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
When I first glanced at the topic, I was like what they're banning strip clubs. What a relief it was to read the details. Anyway continue on bunny lovers.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
When I first glanced at the topic, I was like what they're banning strip clubs. What a relief it was to read the details. Anyway continue on bunny lovers.
Banning strip joints I would not be in favor of. Not that I spend much time in them.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:32 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
From what I understand rabbits aren't fond of being picked up and carried the way cats and small dogs are. So that might make them unsuitable for small children. A friend of mine had a pet rabbit once. I remember it chomped down on my finger pretty good when I tried to feed it a piece carrot. Other than that it was a pretty nice little animal.
The bunny probably didn't see your finger. You have to be very careful with them, since they have a different field of vision.

Their claws also hurt if they decide to start climbing on you... I remember my girlfriend decided to wear a short skirt when we were visiting bunny island in Japan... that was a very bad idea lol.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The bunny probably didn't see your finger. You have to be very careful with them, since they have a different field of vision.

Their claws also hurt if they decide to start climbing on you... I remember my girlfriend decided to wear a short skirt when we were visiting bunny island in Japan... that was a very bad idea lol.
Yeah I know the rabbit wasn't biting me out of meanness. I think he just really wanted that carrot, so I didn't hold it against him.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:53 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
I have a friend who has had several rabbits over the years and she treats them like cats. They have been very loving towards her curling up on her lap playing games etc... Like any or animal out there if you show it love, kindness and compassion they will show the same to you for the most part.

When my current dog was a puppy he chewed through a power cord to my computer. While watching TV with the lights out I notice this blue flash out of the corner of my eye. I thought nothing of it until it happened again and there he was under the couch chewing on the wire not really caring about the electricity arches coming out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City