Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:34 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
No, not loudly enough. In many ways we gave ourselves this stereo type. I think Shows like Mob Wives and Jersey Shore are despicable and give Italians and Staten Islanders a bad rap. Can you imagine the out rage of there was a Jewish Jersey shore or a Black version of Mob Wives staring the baby mommas of gang members. The out rage would reach Washington D.C.
No it wouldn't. Such dramatic tomfoolery exists for all to see, and yet no one has petitioned the White House. It's called entertainment. If any one group is lumped together for the actions of "some" it's just sheer stupidity on the lumper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 09:40 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
No it wouldn't. Such dramatic tomfoolery exists for all to see, and yet no one has petitioned the White House. It's called entertainment. If any one group is lumped together for the actions of "some" it's just sheer stupidity on the lumper.
You are wrong. We live in a society where it has ok to portray Italians as dumb, uneducated mobsters. Anything negative portrayed about blacks on TV would have Sharpton boycotting the network and screaming racism and bigotry.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
You are wrong. We live in a society where it has ok to portray Italians as dumb, uneducated mobsters. Anything negative portrayed about blacks on TV would have Sharpton boycotting the network and screaming racism and bigotry.
I know what kind of society we live in. I'm a woman so that gives me good vantage point from which to make my observations. Like I said, anyone stupid enough to lump all people of a group together as if they eat, breathe, move in unison is stupid.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I know what kind of society we live in. I'm a woman so that gives me good vantage point from which to make my observations. Like I said, anyone stupid enough to lump all people of a group together as if they eat, breathe, move in unison is stupid.
Many people do just that. What difference does it make if you are a man or women? How does being a women give you a good or better vantage point than a man's? It shouldn't make a difference what gender you are.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 AM

42 posts, read 65,904 times
Quote:
No, not loudly enough. In many ways we gave ourselves this stereo type. I think Shows like Mob Wives and Jersey Shore are despicable and give Italians and Staten Islanders a bad rap. Can you imagine the out rage of there was a Jewish Jersey shore or a Black version of Mob Wives staring the baby mommas of gang members. The out rage would reach Washington D.C.
I agree.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:19 AM

929 posts, read 1,660,124 times
Quote:
It's not just recent reality TV shows.

Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley, Goodfellas, Rocky, the Karate Kid, A Bronx Tale, in just about any TV show or movie about Italian-Americans, we are portrayed as blue-collar/working class or unintelligent. And half of those weren't based in NYC.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post

Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley, Goodfellas, Rocky, the Karate Kid, A Bronx Tale, in just about any TV show or movie about Italian-Americans, we are portrayed as blue-collar/working class or unintelligent. And half of those weren't based in NYC.
I find the reality shows embarrassing. The movies had a character arch that made them likable. No one on Mob wives or Jersey shore is likable.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Many people do just that. What difference does it make if you are a man or women? How does being a women give you a good or better vantage point than a man's? It shouldn't make a difference what gender you are.
Well, I speak to the struggles women have had to overcome in society. With that I mean, wages so that they can take care of their families. So yes, I'm familiar with one of the more contentious movements in the country (for women ~ about women). That gives me an advantage of understanding the plight over a man. This is an opinion, however and I'm usually right about it.

The issue here is not women though. It is if Italians feel wronged in the media or otherwise they can do what other groups do to elicit compassion. Jewish groups do it, Gay and Lesbian groups do it, Blacks do it and so on.....

Old 01-02-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post

Yes, this is true. Big Ang is all the rage now. However, other groups have been portrayed less than flattering in the media as well. No one should assume that the representation of characters on TV form the norm for any one group. It's absurd.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I speak to the struggles women have had to overcome in society. With that I mean, wages so that they can take care of their families. So yes, I'm familiar with one of the more contentious movements in the country (for women ~ about women). That gives me an advantage of understanding the plight over a man. This is an opinion, however and I'm usually right about it.

The issue here is not women though. It is if Italians feel wronged in the media or otherwise they can do what other groups do to elicit compassion. Jewish groups do it, Gay and Lesbian groups do it, Blacks do it and so on.....
Fair enough. I don't agree with everything you are saying but I understand where it's coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City