Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:15 PM

664 posts, read 807,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not true. There are restrictions on short term rentals in NY, however one can indeed legally sublet out space in one's apartment, co-op, or condo by the current laws in NYC. It just has to be 30 days or more under the current laws. However laws are subject to change.
What may be legal in NYC may not be allowed in your own building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 05:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
What may be legal in NYC may not be allowed in your own building.
That is between either the tenant and the landlord, or between the individual and the co-op association/board or the individual and the condo rules.

Some buildings allow it and some don't. It's all in the paperwork you sign.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:20 PM

664 posts, read 807,441 times
Quote:
Some buildings allow it and some don't. It's all in the paperwork you sign.
Don't kid yourself.

MOST buildings do not allow it.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:45 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
If you a rent stabilized tenant, you "lease" your apartment through any web site, and your landlord finds out, you might as well start packing your bags. Your landlord will file a motion for your eviction because you violated your lease, and the judge will agree.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
If you a rent stabilized tenant, you "lease" your apartment through any web site, and your landlord finds out, you might as well start packing your bags. Your landlord will file a motion for your eviction because you violated your lease, and the judge will agree.
Not necessarily. I've done it on more than one occasion, and my landlord did not care.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Don't kid yourself.

MOST buildings do not allow it.
A lot of landlords are doing it directly (part of why it's a legal issue).

And many landlords do not care that their tenants are renting out space in the building. Especially in older walk ups where the landlords can't get the best (wealthiest tenants).

Old 01-24-2015, 07:30 PM

I've used Airbnb and I will likely use it again in the future either to host or to travel. Nothing anyone on this forum says or hopes will stop me.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
The legality of a new/different business model that has seen significant growth is going to come into scrutiny; airbnb is just going to have to figure out how to work in NYC since a some of their transactions violate some property/safety and tax laws. The other problem i see is that its not clear cut legally who is liable when something goes wrong.

I dont have any problem with airbnb. I dont care to rent my co-op out (moot point, since our co-op board is against it), but i wouldn't mind having the option if im visiting another city.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
I've used Airbnb and I will likely use it again in the future either to host or to travel. Nothing anyone on this forum says or hopes will stop me.
Good for you.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
The legality of a new/different business model that has seen significant growth is going to come into scrutiny; airbnb is just going to have to figure out how to work in NYC since a some of their transactions violate some property/safety and tax laws. The other problem i see is that its not clear cut legally who is liable when something goes wrong.

I dont have any problem with airbnb. I dont care to rent my co-op out (moot point, since our co-op board is against it), but i wouldn't mind having the option if im visiting another city.
However, with the bribes NY officials like Silver have clearly taken from the real estate industry among others, the laws in NY have come under question.

It is a valid concern who is liable (Airbnb is insured by Lloyds of London) and some regulations need to be drafted. But NYC officials who fake concern about Airbnb reducing the supply of affordable housing are the same corrupt officials who reduced the supply of affordable housing. Airbnb isn't the problem, New York politics is.

The arrest of Sheldon Silver and continuing investigations of other New York politics will solve that problem. The New York Democratic party is imploding! Federal prosecutors say very soon some other politicians will be BUSTED!

Notice Airbnb has no faded from headlines (it was in the headlines earlier last week) after the arrest of Silver. New York has much bigger fish to fry (corruption).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City