Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times

Advertisements

Does it have a chance ? How do other NY'ers feel about this ?

Proposed parking ban would put the squeeze on out-of-towners | New York Post

"Queens Assemblyman Michael Miller has proposed a law that would prohibit cars with out-of-state plates from parking overnight on city streets. The bill would make it illegal to park with non-New York plates from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. Violators could have their vehicles towed."

I must say,a lot of cars parked regularly in my neighborhood have out of state plates.Some of them have been parking around here for years so I assume they live here but register out of state for cheaper insurance,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I think it's a very interesting and good idea in general, but I don't think it will ever pass.

I think they should follow something along the lines of what Cambridge, MA does with its street parking. Almost all the residential streets require a resident sticker on the car. Each household is also allowed a guest permit, which would allow a guest to park for something like 4 days in a row, but below a certain number of days per month. There are very few streets in Cambridge that don't require some sort of resident permit.

I don't understand why AAA has taken a stand against it, especially since Cambridge and other parts of the Boston metro area like Back Bay already follow a resident parking permit system.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Doubt it changes much in terms of available parking. Revenue increase for the local government and insurance as it forces people to legally claim New York resident status for their Car (would impact transplants the most).

Old 01-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think it's a very interesting and good idea in general, but I don't think it will ever pass.

I think they should follow something along the lines of what Cambridge, MA does with its street parking. Almost all the residential streets require a resident sticker on the car. Each household is also allowed a guest permit, which would allow a guest to park for something like 4 days in a row, but below a certain number of days per month. There are very few streets in Cambridge that don't require some sort of resident permit.

I don't understand why AAA has taken a stand against it, especially since Cambridge and other parts of the Boston metro area like Back Bay already follow a resident parking permit system.
Right.I forgot about the parking stickers for residents and dashboard passes for guests in Boston/Cambridge even though I visit regularly and use the passes all the time.I think they are used in pretty much every neighborhood.Much better solution.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Doubt it changes much in terms of available parking. Revenue increase for the local government and insurance as it forces people to legally claim New York resident status for their Car (would impact transplants the most).
Sounded from the article like that's exactly who the bill's sponsor is talking about.

My neighborhood often has more of a parking problem during the day because people from Westchester and other points North drive as far as many Bronx neighborhoods and then get on the subway to Manhattan.As the local residents are leaving to drive to their jobs,the commuters come off the Bronx River Parkway and take their places.Then they trade places again in the evening.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:10 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
Most transplants don't have cars. There are some groups of New Yorkers who like to register their cars in Pennsylvania, however. I predict they will resist.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Most transplants don't have cars. There are some groups of New Yorkers who like to register their cars in Pennsylvania, however. I predict they will resist.
LOL,they can't be too vocal in their resistance because they will out themselves,admitting that that are breaking the laws and committing insurance fraud.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:21 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
LOL,they can't be too vocal in their resistance because they will out themselves,admitting that that are breaking the laws and committing insurance fraud.
In addition you can claim yourself as secondary on the car and you are borrowing it from your parents (to lower your insurance). if someone keeps track of your car, insurance company can avoid paying out on claims.

Outside of NYC, most places having a car as necessity so it common for them to own cars by the age of 16-18.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:22 PM

384 posts, read 512,462 times
I have seen a lot of cars in not-so-good neighborhoods with Georgia or South Carolina plates. I assumed that was for insurance purposes.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:26 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Sounds unconstitutional to me. Privileges and Immunities clause. It's one thing to require resident permits for a particular neighborhood, but to block out people from parking anywhere just because they are from out of state seems a bit crazy to me. I am sorry and I hate to break it to this Queens representative Miller guy, but NYC isn't a sovereign nation, it is part of the United States of America. Someone from Georgia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, or North Carolina has the same right to walk or park on a public NYC street as anyone else.

As for people who register and insure their car out of state, it is all fun and games until they get into an accident and the insurance company starts inquiring into where they really live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City