Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:33 PM

725 posts, read 806,098 times

Advertisements

I just got a job as an administrator in a school in forrest Hills. What is the best way (quickest) for me to get there by public transportation from Norwood in the Bronx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 03:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times
I havent been in the subway in 2 years and looking at the map i see even more changes i haven't kept up with

take the D to the 7th avenue station, transfer to the E going into Queens, transfer for the M at 5th avenue or lexington ave; it looks like the M terminates at 71st avenue(last time i looked the F terminated at 71st avenue or was it the N?)

don't take my word for it tho get another poster's opinion who knows ths system and reads the maps better than i do.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I havent been in the subway in 2 years and looking at the map i see even more changes i haven't kept up with

take the D to the 7th avenue station, transfer to the E going into Queens, transfer for the M at 5th avenue or lexington ave; it looks like the M terminates at 71st avenue(last time i looked the F terminated at 71st avenue or was it the N?)

don't take my word for it tho get another poster's opinion who knows ths system and reads the maps better than i do.
The M and the R terminate at 71 Avenue in Forest Hills. The E and F also stop there, and are express.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:37 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,582,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

You don't need to transfer to the M... You can stay on the E, which goes express to Forest Hills, whereas the M is local.

rlrl, the M does end at Forest Hills. The F train ends in Jamaica. You may be remembering the old V line.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Type your start address into Google Maps and then click "directions". Put in your destination address and then click the train icon.

You have to sort through the options once they come up, but it should give you somewhere to start.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Norw...40.8771463!1m0

You should use your exact addresses because some areas (Forest Hills is one) have more than one subway stop, and also some places may be far enough away from the train to require the use of buses. The 71st Continental, 75th Ave. and Union Turnpike stops are all in Forest Hills. (Union Turnpike stop is on the border of FH and Kew Gardens).

Old 02-06-2015, 05:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
^ and the 67th ave stop. On the Rego Park border.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:33 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,582,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Type your start address into Google Maps and then click "directions". Put in your destination address and then click the train icon.

You have to sort through the options once they come up, but it should give you somewhere to start.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Norw...40.8771463!1m0

You should use your exact addresses because some areas (Forest Hills is one) have more than one subway stop, and also some places may be far enough away from the train to require the use of buses. The 71st Continental, 75th Ave. and Union Turnpike stops are all in Forest Hills. (Union Turnpike stop is on the border of FH and Kew Gardens).

Good points, Henna!!

I always consider Union Turnpike to be Kew Gardens since the official name of the station is "Kew Gardens - Union Turnpike" but your absolutely right that it's right on the border.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:21 AM

168 posts, read 349,551 times
Forest Hills has several stations. Where is your new job? That affects the answer tremendously, as for 67th Ave. on the way in you'd be transferring at Roosevelt Ave./Jackson Heights for the local M/R if you took the E from 7th Ave. or the F from Rockefeller Center (both easily accessible from the D, which I can only assume you'd be taking, but the E transfer point is less crowded). For anywhere near 71st Ave./Continental, you'd stay on the E or F. For 75th Ave., the E sometimes skips it, but the F always stops, and for Union Turnpike, both the E & F stop there.

And honestly, if you don't know the answer, you probably shouldn't respond. That first answer was so confusing and so wildly incorrect that I couldn't believe what I was reading. If "the last time you looked," the F (never) or N (not since the 80s) terminated at Forest Hills, you haven't been near the subway in DECADES. If at all. It doesn't really help to respond to a post if you have no idea whatsoever. It just confuses things.

Last edited by MissTrish; 02-07-2015 at 07:34 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 08:15 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times
well, Trish, considering how many posters have been nasty to me, my post, while not a good one, is at least honest

Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
I don't think I was being nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City