Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalystTherapist View Post
Hello -

I'm looking for a place to live that will give me easy access to midtown via the 1 Train.

I'm starting a new job in midtown near 30 Rock,

Thank you
I'm confused, though. If your job is at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, then why are you trying to live in the Bronx near the 1 train? Doesn't make any sense to me.

If you have $750 or $800 a month to spend on a roommate situation per month, you can easily find something in Queens near the E, F or M train that will get you quickly to Rockefeller Plaza.

You might even be able to live somewhere in Astoria/Woodside with other people your own age who wear suits to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:32 PM

114 posts, read 212,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
I lived right there at Riverside and W. 160th St. for a year, last year. I'd say the area is more safe than quiet...
Very helpful! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you have $750 or $800 a month to spend on a roommate situation per month, you can easily find something in Queens near the E, F or M train that will get you quickly to Rockefeller Plaza...You might even be able to live somewhere in Astoria/Woodside with other people your own age who wear suits to work.
Enough with the suits My logic was to find the closest Metro station near 30 Rock. When I come into the city, I usually use the ACE or 123 from NY Penn and both have exits on 50th St. I just followed the two lines up on Google Maps and Craigslist and I noticed rents were cheaper. Also, since Columbia is along that route, I figured it must be safe there. That's how I ended up there.

I have a friend who lives at 27 on 27 near Queens Plaza. Queens looked a bit rougher than Morningside/Washington Heights look on Google Street View. Is the Queens Safety Map correct?

NYC Safety Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...I.kbLvKBHSttcY

Old 02-17-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Very helpful! Thank you.

Enough with the suits My logic was to find the closest Metro station near 30 Rock. When I come into the city, I usually use the ACE or 123 from NY Penn and both have exits on 50th St. I just followed the two lines up on Google Maps and Craigslist and I noticed rents were cheaper. Also, since Columbia is along that route, I figured it must be safe there. That's how I ended up there.

I have a friend who lives at 27 on 27 near Queens Plaza. Queens looked a bit rougher than Morningside/Washington Heights look on Google Street View. Is the Queens Safety Map correct?

NYC Safety Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...I.kbLvKBHSttcY
I don't really want to look at the Queens Safety map because last time I looked a few years ago, I disagreed with the parts near where I live.

There are some sketchy/ugly parts in Queens near Queens Plaza but Astoria/Sunnyside/Woodside are all neighborhoody and Astoria especially has quite a range of nice amenities.

I don't know what to tell you except that you might want to expand the areas you're currently considering.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:07 AM

A place like this could work for you. It's a 5-10 minute walk from the Northern Blvd M train. The M goes directly into Rockefeller Center. It's also walking distance to many of the nice things in Astoria.

Room in Spacious 3BR Immediately Available

Old 02-18-2015, 09:33 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
Quote:
Hello -

I'm looking for a place to live that will give me easy access to midtown via the 1 Train. My impression from this forum is that the further north you go, the more problematic the areas become. I'm currently looking at places near the 157th St. Metro Station, near the Presbyterian/Columbia Hospital. When I look on Google Street View, the area looks fine, I don't see people loitering around buildings. Would this area be safe between 6am-8pm? Would someone wearing a suit be seen as an easy victim around there? Is the Manhattan safety map still accurate?

I'm starting a new job in midtown near 30 Rock, and due to the snow, there is NO way I can commute from NJ. Too many variable and too much time will be tied up in commuting.

Morningside Heights
West Harlem/Morningside/Manhattanville
NYC Safety Maps

Thank you

Snow sometimes affects the trains in New York as well.

If you are indeed working at 30 Rock, you are closer to 6th Ave- nearest subway lines would be the B, D, F and the M. You should be looking along those lines. As for your question about whether wearing a suit would make you a target, you can stand out in a neighborhood no matter what you are wearing. That's why you need to do an in person visit to whatever neighborhood you are thinking of moving to ( visit at various times of the day and night). Don't rely on google and other peoples impressions. The neighborhood has to feel comfortable to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: