Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:42 PM

24 posts, read 25,997 times

Advertisements

1: When the T-train becomes operational, DOWNTOWN riders MUST change at 149th or 138th Streets for the 2,5 & 6-trains to reach 125th Street & Lexington Avenue.
2: All UPTOWN T-train riders MUST change at 116th Street for the Q-train to do the same.
3: If no one can see the fallacy in that, I give up.
4: The 2nd Avenue subway was designed and built for the T-train, but the Q-train is getting the attention because it is already operational.
5: The emphasis should have been to terminate the Q-train at 63rd & Lexington Avenue (F-train)
and concentrate on completing the T-train instead. I can see my "fan" mail now, all negative.
6: It appears that NYC wants that subway, but is reluctant to finish it, its been over 75 years already. If it were a three or four-track route, it would be never.
7: My interest in the 2nd Avenue subway are the PHASE 4 & 5 segments of it, but that won't be in my lifetime.
8: Over the years, I've noticed that large projects such as this always get REDUCED in some way BEFORE there finished, which is why I hope that the PHASE-4 Center/Broad Street route gets chosen over the Water Street route because of funding issues. A good example of this is the 36th Street station in Brooklyn (D,N & R-trains). The original plan was to use 40th Street as a route for the West End, then it was changed to the 38th Street-South Brooklyn Railway line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
You mean if the T-train becomes operational

Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamo-opa View Post
1: When the T-train becomes operational, DOWNTOWN riders MUST change at 149th or 138th Streets for the 2,5 & 6-trains to reach 125th Street & Lexington Avenue.
2: All UPTOWN T-train riders MUST change at 116th Street for the Q-train to do the same.
3: If no one can see the fallacy in that, I give up.
4: The 2nd Avenue subway was designed and built for the T-train, but the Q-train is getting the attention because it is already operational.
5: The emphasis should have been to terminate the Q-train at 63rd & Lexington Avenue (F-train)
and concentrate on completing the T-train instead. I can see my "fan" mail now, all negative.
6: It appears that NYC wants that subway, but is reluctant to finish it, its been over 75 years already. If it were a three or four-track route, it would be never.
7: My interest in the 2nd Avenue subway are the PHASE 4 & 5 segments of it, but that won't be in my lifetime.
8: Over the years, I've noticed that large projects such as this always get REDUCED in some way BEFORE there finished, which is why I hope that the PHASE-4 Center/Broad Street route gets chosen over the Water Street route because of funding issues. A good example of this is the 36th Street station in Brooklyn (D,N & R-trains). The original plan was to use 40th Street as a route for the West End, then it was changed to the 38th Street-South Brooklyn Railway line.
The T train is not going to the Bronx. Phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway, a part of the MTA capital budget, extends the train to 125th and Lexington. Phases 3 and 4 (the engineering studies for them are in the MTA's 2015-19 capital budget), whenever they are done would extend the train to the LES and Downtown. There are provisions but no current plans or funding to extend the Second Avenue Subway to the Bronx.

And the MTA knows what's doing. Phase one of the Second Avenue Subway extends the Q train 4 stops and provides relief to Upper East Side and Spanish Harlem residents who deal with the overcrowded 4,5, 6 giving us direct connections and transfers to Midtown West and points further downtown.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 PM

15,850 posts, read 14,479,382 times
As the financial district gets more residential and the center of mass of business in Manhattan moves more to midtown and more west, is the full length 2nd Ave subway really necessary? Funneling that line west may be a good idea.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
As the financial district gets more residential and the center of mass of business in Manhattan moves more to midtown and more west, is the full length 2nd Ave subway really necessary? Funneling that line west may be a good idea.
for now funneling that line west is a great idea, however the 4,5, 6 are still horribly overcrowded and the East side continues to develop.

So the full length second avenue line is very necessary. Remember the East Side was developed around the Lexington Avenue line and the 3rd Avenue el (which at 125 St split into the 2nd and 3rd Avenue els). The els went all the way downtown and the Second Avenue subway replaces them.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:03 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
The Upper East Side desperately needs the 2nd Avenue subway. I hope that the first phrase is operational on schedule.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Upper East Side desperately needs the 2nd Avenue subway. I hope that the first phrase is operational on schedule.
Oh, me too.

I am getting so tired of the quarter mile walk to and from the Lex line every time I want to go anywhere, especially in this biting cold. After a couple hundred times it gets samey.

Seriously,
Anyone waiting for Phases 2, 3, and 4 had best not reached puberty yet.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Oh, me too.

I am getting so tired of the quarter mile walk to and from the Lex line every time I want to go anywhere, especially in this biting cold. After a couple hundred times it gets samey.

Seriously,
Anyone waiting for Phases 2, 3, and 4 had best not reached puberty yet.
Phase 2 and the engineering studies for phases 3-4 are in the MTA's capital budget.

Money towards those efforts will be pushed this year. Why am I so certain?

The Second Avenue Subway phase 1 is opens next year and is already doing wonders for real estate values in Yorkville and in parts of Spanish Harlem. So to fully gentrify the rest of Spanish Harlem, LES, as well as boost real estate in Gramercy, Chinatown, and parts of Downtown not near a train they will build the Second Avenue Subway the full length of Manhattan.

Train construction is funded to areas that the city knows it can develop well. The 7 was extended to the West Side of Manhattan (opening in April) to give the Hudson Yards area a big boost and it has.

Cuomo is funding an Airtrain to LaGuardia from Willets Point in order to boost the big development projects already underway there.(will be paid for by bank settlement fees).

Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I will call it as Phase ONE to be completed in 2016 "God willin' and the creek don't flood." Call it 2017 to be reasonable.

The best I foresee is Phase 2 done by 2025 if the City doesn't see an economic meltdown in the next decade. Very few decades have gone unscathed in the past.

I see 3 and 4 as just wishful thinking, perhaps never to be built.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I will call it as Phase ONE to be completed in 2016 "God willin' and the creek don't flood." Call it 2017 to be reasonable.

The best I foresee is Phase 2 done by 2025 if the City doesn't see an economic meltdown in the next decade.

I see 3 and 4 as just wishful thinking, perhaps never to be built.
Not at all wishful thinking. Even Phase one is built to gentrify certain areas. Public transportation improvements happen when the corporate sector want them to happen. The public never is able to push them through. Then again you never turn to the public for vision or innovation.

So the corporate sector when it is ready will ensure phases 3 and 4 to be built. They will issue bonds, and they will be backed by some sort of revenues.

Now in the next few years along Second Avenue watch and see many of the previous shops go out of business and be replaced by name brand stores as landlords will now be able to get much more money for both commercial and residential rents. (In the Yorkville area).

As far as an economic meltdown, it did not halt construction on Phase one of the Second Avenue Subway, the 7 train to 34th Street, or the LIRR to Grand Central. I think you're stuck in the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City