Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 25,940 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'll be moving to New York in a week and need a place to stay for a month. As of now, I'm looking at 3 options - one's at Hamilton Place & W141st St (rent=$750 for the month). The other is in Washington Heights at the intersection of Edgecombe Avenue and 158th Street (rent=$550) and the 3rd is at the intersection of 2nd Ave. & E115th Street (rent=$600). Since I have no idea what any of these places are like, apart from the tiny bit you can make out from Google Maps street views, I'd really appreciate any input from you guys about how safe these areas are. Is there one that's better than the rest? I plan to be returning home around 8PM on weekdays and maybe midnight on weekends. Will I be able to last out a month safely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtheway13 View Post
Hey guys,

I'll be moving to New York in a week and need a place to stay for a month. As of now, I'm looking at 3 options - one's at Hamilton Place & W141st St (rent=$750 for the month). The other is in Washington Heights at the intersection of Edgecombe Avenue and 158th Street (rent=$550) and the 3rd is at the intersection of 2nd Ave. & E115th Street (rent=$600). Since I have no idea what any of these places are like, apart from the tiny bit you can make out from Google Maps street views, I'd really appreciate any input from you guys about how safe these areas are. Is there one that's better than the rest? I plan to be returning home around 8PM on weekdays and maybe midnight on weekends. Will I be able to last out a month safely?
be sure to have your will prepared, you seem to have a knack for picking terrible areas

Old 04-24-2008, 07:30 PM

I think the cheapest ones normally work out that way. My budget is 800$ and these were the few I could find that fit that. Are there any areas that you could recommend where I wouldn't need to say a prayer every morning before stepping out the door, within my budget?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,706 times
i think u can survive a month in any of those areas lol millions of other people do.....just cuz there not the best areas doesnt mean ur gonna get robbed or shot living there.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 AM

I'm also looking at two other listings - one's at Hart St. between Lewis and Marcus Garvey. And the other is in Fort Greene/Clinton Hill. Are either of these any better? I know they're in Brooklyn and not near Prospect Park (which seems to be the ONLY place Manhattan-ites would even consider moving), but I'm hoping these might be areas that are not so bad?

Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,632 times
Quote:
i think u can survive a month in any of those areas lol millions of other people do.....just cuz there not the best areas doesnt mean ur gonna get robbed or shot living there.
You are totally right.

When you live in the ghetto, the chance of you being shot/robbed/mugged/beat is considerably lower.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:39 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,693 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

You will be able to "survive" in any of those places if you are calm, respectful and use common sense.I would prefer the Hamilton Place area personally. 115th and 2nd has about 3 projects within a 5 block radius and edgecombe (secluded feel to it) might be a bit intimidating for you at any time of the day . I truly can't understand how so many people can live life in fear though. It is only a month we should expect to "survive" anywhere for a month.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
I'm also looking at two other listings - one's at Hart St. between Lewis and Marcus Garvey. And the other is in Fort Greene/Clinton Hill. Are either of these any better? I know they're in Brooklyn and not near Prospect Park (which seems to be the ONLY place Manhattan-ites would even consider moving), but I'm hoping these might be areas that are not so bad?
Hart Street can be kinda rough.
Where is the one in Fort Greene located?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Hamilton Place is the worst avenue around there. Area has gotten immensely better but Hamilton is still a little more ghetto than the rest of the area. Avoid it. I know the area very well, lived there over ten years. Go with Edgecombe.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-25-2008 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hart Street can be kinda rough.
Where is the one in Fort Greene located?
I would steer clear from Hart Street also. Never really liked that block. Fort Greene would be good but street location is needed to really give a good answer.

As far as Manhattan, I would probably go for the 2nd Avenue spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City