Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,524 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I'm a South African woman who plans to move to New York but I do have
some unresolved issues

I've been practising law as an advocate for a period of almost 5 years(admitted in terms of SA laws and I did pass my Bar Exam). I'm already bussy with the arrangements of rellocating and I will be prepared to grab any decent job that I can get in NY, for starters.

Moving to NY its like a dream come true for me but I can't take my mind off the following issues.:
* Is such a move a good and proper decision?
* Is it practically possible to make such a move and make it in NY?
* I'm a dermined, hardworker and a go getter, will that be enough to motivate me to stay and make it big there?
* Will my legal experiance and qualifications be taken into into consideration?
* Is my SA Law degree recognised in NY?
* Does it count at all that I will be a foreigner during the job hunting?
* How much of job opportunities availlable for foreigners like me?
* ALL IN ALL, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A PERSON LIKE ME TO MAKE IT THERE?

When it comes to family I have siblings, I even intend to start my own family there.

I would appreciate to get as much imput as possible, including from the people who rellocated to NY from other countries.

PLEASE ASSIST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
it is very expensive here, you should get the job before you move

I am sure there is some law firm that specializes in international dealings, and they could probably use a foreign lawyer

Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
But first you need a visa valid to work here.

Your law degree will not allow you to practice law in New York, or anywhere in the US. You must pass a state bar exam (each state has its own).

Old 01-12-2008, 03:15 PM

88 posts, read 530,516 times
If you can make it in NYC you can make it anywhere!

Old 01-22-2008, 03:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,524 times
I have consulted certain law firms, Visa application process is already on. Your imput has been very useful, Thanx

Old 04-27-2008, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,651 times
I moved to New York City from Cape Town about 4 years ago, and am really happy to have done so. It's a completely different environment, and although Cape Town was competitive, it wasn't realistic in retrospect to the rest of the world. New York is a lot better suited for a lot of things, I am currently at university right now, and I find that the competitiveness in Cape Town felt a little cushioned, and there was unnecessary amounts of work. Here the competition is cut throat, the work load isn't focussed on pointless detail and it's sink or swim and everyone is fighting against each other, it was intimidating at first but I got used to it and think I am better prepared as a result.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 PM

584 posts, read 2,423,769 times
It's a lot safer than SA I'll tell you that.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 16,775 times
Default Find support first!

God bless you, with whatever your choice may be. Being a professional woman that worked in Manhattan. Your head is spun by so many people, with so much advice. Hard to know who to trust. I actually had a boss tell me 'I deserved a raise, but there is only one raise each year. Since 'Bob's' wife had a baby they really need they money.' Bob got my raise!

I believe that if possible find a strong church close to where you will be, I have found that when you work hard for a good cause people within a church are likely to point out 'naive thinking' immigrants have due to cutural differences. Believe me I know, Being an immigrant myself I know this know.

Just something to think about- Good Luck

Old 01-03-2009, 01:12 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
The OP of this thread, which is almost a year old, probably made her decision long ago.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 AM

5 posts, read 16,775 times
Default opps

Thanks for letting me know, didn't think to look at date. I will next time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City