Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 9,682 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm 30 years old, I moved to NYC from Pennsylvania last summer, and my Pennsylvania driver's license expired about a month ago. Does anybody know what will be involved in getting a New York driver's license? Is there any way I will be able to transfer my Pennsylvania license, or will I have to start from scratch? And what will that entail?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsiegel View Post
Hi,
I'm 30 years old, I moved to NYC from Pennsylvania last summer, and my Pennsylvania driver's license expired about a month ago. Does anybody know what will be involved in getting a New York driver's license? Is there any way I will be able to transfer my Pennsylvania license, or will I have to start from scratch? And what will that entail?

Thanks in advance.
If you move to New York State and become a resident 1, you must get a New York State driver license within 30 days.

If you have a valid driver license issued by another U.S. state or territory, federal district or Canadian province, you can exchange it for a NYS driver license as long as it

has your photograph
is valid or has expired in the past 24 months
shows the date it was issued and was issued at least 6 months before you apply for the NYS driver license (or is a commercial driver license that has been valid for any amount of time) 2
is not suspended or revoked 3
is not lost or stolen 4
When you exchange your out-of-state or Canadian license, your New York license will be valid for 5 years.

You cannot exchange a driver license that

was issued outside the U.S. or Canada
does not have your photograph
is expired for more than 24 months

is one of the following
a hardship or an "employment only driver license"
a non-commercial driver license valid for less than 6 months
is marked "non-renewable" or "non-transferab

Moving to New York State? Exchange your out-of-state driver license | New York State DMV

You can still transfer your PA driver's license to a NY driver's license. Do it now, as this is one of those things if you keep putting off eventually too much time will pass and why go through the bother of starting over when you can do it now.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:57 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
It only took me only 40 minutes at the DMV on Broadway between 33rd and 34th...look hard, the entrance is hard to spot.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:53 PM

How do I exchange my out-of-state driver license for a NYS driver license?

You must bring these items to a DMV office

your current driver license
a completed Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID (MV-44)
at least 6 points of proof of identification and proof of date of birth. Your photo driver license issued by another US state, jurisdiction or possession or a Canadian province or territory has a value of 2 points.
your Social Security Card or proof that you are not eligible for a Social Security Card 5
You also must

pass a vision test at the DMV or bring a valid Eye Test Report (MV-619) completed by an eye care professional
surrender your out-of-state driver license unless it is lost or stolen
pay the driver license fees 6

Moving to New York State? Exchange your out-of-state driver license | New York State DMV

You will need your social security card. That and your out of state license will be 4 points. You'll need six points so here are the documents you may use for your other points.

Proofs of identity and date of birth for a learner permit, driver license or non-driver ID card | New York State DMV

Old 03-17-2015, 10:36 PM

544 posts, read 1,526,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you move to New York State and become a resident 1, you must get a New York State driver license within 30 days.
Where did you get this info? Who said any NY state resident must have a driver's license?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Where did you get this info? Who said any NY state resident must have a driver's license?
Those words are the DMV's words, not mine.

If you move to NY and you are regularly driving, you must have a New York Driver's license.

DUH.

If you are not driving but still living here, you still should have a local ID so you should still change your driver's license over to NY. If you don't know how to drive at least get a NY ID card. You'll need this for employment, to get into buildings, to access certain services, etc.

To access services like banking (not just accounts, but loans including mortgages) you'll need ID as well, and when they do background checks on you when you are looking for an apartment, you need ID. And if you're going to buy property. For insurance claims you may need to send in a copy of your ID as well.

So it's only common sense when you move to NY if you have a driver's license change it over to NY!

Old 03-18-2015, 08:10 AM

544 posts, read 1,526,590 times
Passports also can serve as ID.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Passports also can serve as ID.
Dude, stop trying to argue.

At times one has to provide proof of address and proof of residency, which passports do not do.

I have had jobs specifically ask to see my driver's license and social security card because they wanted proof of address. I have had banks specifically want to see driver's license (proof of address). Ditto when you are looking to get an apartment.

Most Americans and most New Yorker's have driver's licenses, and those that don't tend to have state ids.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:51 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Why respond to this thread at all. Everything is on the DMV website. The OP can find an office and just go there.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It only took me only 40 minutes at the DMV on Broadway between 33rd and 34th...look hard, the entrance is hard to spot.
That one has since closed, that whole building is being renovated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: