Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 PM

57 posts, read 66,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
try NJ
That's it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 04:27 PM

9 posts, read 41,816 times
Really appreciate this a lot it's really a lot of help I never noticed how many Italians were in Staten Island and in the Throggs neck section of the Bronx I love it

Old 03-27-2015, 04:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano2391 View Post
I'm 100 percent Sicilian and me and my girlfriend who is also 100 percent Sicilian we would like to move to NYC. We prefer living in an Italian neighborhood because we would like to be around our fellow people and would be a family oriented neighborhood. I've been doing research but I can't find any recent data except from the 2000 census on Italian neighborhoods in NYC. So we could really use some help on fink ding some nice Italian neighborhoods in NYC
In the Bronx, Throgs Neck, Country Club however Italian population is on the decline their in favor of Puerto Ricans. Morris Park and Van Nest has Italians but are also in decline due to many Balkan immigrants and Filipinos and Hispanic groups. LIttly Italy in the Bronx which is South of East Fordham has a little bit of Italians but plenty of Italian businesses and eateries are located along Arthur avenue. Some say Little Italy in the Bronx is more authentic Italian than the tourist trap of really little Italy in near Chinatown. City Island also has a sizeable Italian population. As for the other boroughs? Bensonhurst used to be majority Italian but now is Chinese. HOward Beach in Queens is hardcore Italian as is the rest of Staten Island.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:59 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
This is true. Trend has been happening since the early 90s I believe (possibly even before that).
Decline in Italians in not just New York City but elsewhere was baked into the cake when the Kennedy immigration reform bill was passed. That dog of a law shifted immigration patterns to the USA from Europe to Latin America/Mexico, parts of Asia and so forth.

South Brooklyn took a hit Italian American wise as many of the manufacturing and shipyard jobs in Brooklyn closed down. You see the same thing in New Jersey especially the towns/areas near the waterfront that had large Italian-American populations.

If you remember the film "Saturday Night Fever" Latinos/Hispanics had begun to move into Bayridge/Bensonhurst even during the 1970's.

For its many faults the Sopranos does get many things correct.

When Tony takes his son to see the "old neighborhood" it tells a story of Italian-American enclaves not just in NJ, but NYC and elsewhere as well.

When many Italian-Americans arrived in the USA they settled in areas where more of their own kind were *and* where employment could be had. This would have been in factories, docks, etc.... As time went on the children and grandchildren (if not the parents) did better for themselves and moved like everyone else to the suburbs. For some that meant Westchester, New Caldwell, Middletown, or just Staten Island.

It is rather ironic that "old school" Italians began moving off The Rock to New Jersey back in the 1970's and 1980's (mostly to New Jersey) as the opening of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge brought different populations to the place. This included many Italian-Americans from South Brooklyn. Now *those* Italian-Americans (or their children/grandchildren) are moving off SI to not only New Jersey but North Carolina.

Much of this has to do with how as one stated before an area "changes". All it takes is a few *darker* persons to move into an Italian-American area and people make tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cycKuy2v4

Old 03-27-2015, 05:26 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
I tried to find some posts but I couldn't find any and someone told me Bensonhurst isn't Italian anymore I hope that's not true

I live in Bath Beach for the last 27 years when it was starting to change. Mainly Italian (I'm Greek) but Russians were coming in, then they stopped and poof, it became Chinese

It is becoming predomenentley Chinese as of now.

The old Italians are dying, like my friend across the street (88) her kids already have thier own homes elsewhere, they sold to Chinese. That's all that are buying here. If your not Chinese, you will not buy here.

The old single family homes are knocked down, (like 2 around the corner from me). They then build 6 family homes and all Chinese move in.

It is not Italian anymore, that feel is all gone.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:34 PM

9 posts, read 41,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I live in Bath Beach for the last 27 years when it was starting to change. Mainly Italian (I'm Greek) but Russians were coming in, then they stopped and poof, it became Chinese

It is becoming predomenentley Chinese as of now.

The old Italians are dying, like my friend across the street (88) her kids already have thier own homes elsewhere, they sold to Chinese. That's all that are buying here. If your not Chinese, you will not buy here.

The old single family homes are knocked down, (like 2 around the corner from me). They then build 6 family homes and all Chinese move in.

It is not Italian anymore, that feel is all gone.
That makes me really sad to hear that all of us Italians are moving out. It's a shame because Italian immigration to this country has declined because of that Kennedy bill and now we are losing our neighborhoods but I guess we at least have New Jersey, Staten Island, Long Island and Howard Beach

Old 03-27-2015, 07:48 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Really appreciate this a lot it's really a lot of help I never noticed how many Italians were in Staten Island and in the Throggs neck section of the Bronx I love it
Wouldn't you want to live in a Sicilian neighborhood rather than just Italian? Some neighborhood aren't really considered to be solely Italian enclaves, but the Italians that they have would be predominantly Sicilian.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
That makes me really sad to hear that all of us Italians are moving out. It's a shame because Italian immigration to this country has declined because of that Kennedy bill and now we are losing our neighborhoods but I guess we at least have New Jersey, Staten Island, Long Island and Howard Beach
It isn't just the Italians but mostly all of the once largely European neighborhoods have changed. German, Irish, Scandinavian, and so forth have all dwindled. Yorkville, Bushwick and a few other places once had large German populations, but they have long declined.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
When I see posts like yours, I wonder what the point is of your moving to NYC and wonder if you should forget about it. There are many reasons to come to NYC, but a major one is to MIX - to bump up against entirely different kinds of people and take advantage of the breadth of the city. Otherwise, you might as well just move to Sicily.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 PM

503 posts, read 898,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
When I see posts like yours, I wonder what the point is of your moving to NYC and wonder if you should forget about it. There are many reasons to come to NYC, but a major one is to MIX - to bump up against entirely different kinds of people and take advantage of the breadth of the city. Otherwise, you might as well just move to Sicily.
Huge, huge generalization here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City