Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 41,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
When I see posts like yours, I wonder what the point is of your moving to NYC and wonder if you should forget about it. There are many reasons to come to NYC, but a major one is to MIX - to bump up against entirely different kinds of people and take advantage of the breadth of the city. Otherwise, you might as well just move to Sicily.
I understand that NYC has a lot of mixed neighborhoods now and I'm not opposed to living around other nationalities, but I would prefer to live in a majority Italian neighborhood. I like to be around my fellow people who have the same culture and way of doing things like me. just like I'm sure other people from different nationalites would like to be around their fellow people. Italians we like to stick together that's the way we are and always have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Why did Wakefield(previously italian) change so fast compared to Morris Park?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Brooklyn-
Bay Ridge
Dyker Heights
Bath Beach/Bensonhurst
Mill Basin

Queens-
Howard Beach
Middle Village
Glendale
Whitestone

Bronx-
Morris Park
Country Club

Staten Island-
Mid Island
South Shore
Dyker Heights is the Italian area of Brooklyn. You'll find a lot of Italians there.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:05 PM

271 posts, read 455,051 times
If you could afford a mini mansion in dyker

Old 04-11-2015, 04:43 PM

282 posts, read 351,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sooner or later what has happened to the North Shore will catch up with the South. Many Italian-Americans will decide things have changed "too much" and make tracks. Some such as City workers who are mandated by law to remain within NYC (NYPD, FDNY, DSNY, etc...) will stay at least until they separate/retire. Then they too will likely join the exodus to NJ, PA, FLA, and NC.
This makes no sense. If Italians were xenophobic, why on earth would they move to PA, FL, or NC which are even more drastic of changes? There are hardly any Italians in the metros of PA, FLA or NC. NC metros are much blacker than NYC, and FL metros are much more Latino than NY.

The only place they could move to from NYC if they want to be w/ themselves is back to Italy. The difference between NYC and other parts of the country is drastic when it comes to Italians.

Born in Italy
New York City 169,467
Boston 28,232
Chicago 22,249
Los Angeles 17,037
Philadelphia 16,359
Miami 15,799
Detroit 11,284
San Francisco 10,410
Washington DC 6,172
Atlanta 2,270
Houston 1,735
Dallas 1,304

NYC has more than all of these places combined.

Last edited by UAE50; 04-11-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 05:28 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
This makes no sense. If Italians were xenophobic, why on earth would they move to PA, FL, or NC which are even more drastic of changes? There are hardly any Italians in the metros of PA, FLA or NC. NC metros are much blacker than NYC, and FL metros are much more Latino than NY.

The only place they could move to from NYC if they want to be w/ themselves is back to Italy. The difference between NYC and other parts of the country is drastic when it comes to Italians.

Born in Italy
New York City 169,467
Boston 28,232
Chicago 22,249
Los Angeles 17,037
Philadelphia 16,359
Miami 15,799
Detroit 11,284
San Francisco 10,410
Washington DC 6,172
Atlanta 2,270
Houston 1,735
Dallas 1,304

NYC has more than all of these places combined.
Go down to NC, FLA or parts of PA and ask the Italian-Americans formerly from New York or even New Jersey why they moved down there.

You also might want to obtain some better statistic to back up your arguments.

States with the highest population of Italian Americans - The National Italian American Foundation

Italian Social Club: eat, drink, LIVE ITALIAN! (Charlotte, NC) - Meetup

Old 04-11-2015, 05:45 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Go down to NC, FLA or parts of PA and ask the Italian-Americans formerly from New York or even New Jersey why they moved down there.

States with the highest population of Italian Americans - The National Italian American Foundation

Pretty much all of the Italian-Americans that have moved south have completely assimilated into American culture. Neighborhoods in NYC and Long Island still have a much stronger Italian-American community and culture.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:

You might want to learn how to read. Clearly noted that it was city, not state.

Point is - Italian population in those areas are small compared to NYC, and even New York State and New Jersey as confirmed by that link you shared. If Italians move, it certainly has nothing to do with xenophobia. If that were the case, anywhere outside of New York would be much worse and they would have to go back to Italy if they want to be with their own.

PS - The U.S. Census is the ultimate authority when it comes to demographics and that's where my data came from. Go dispute it with them.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:57 PM

And that cute little Charlotte meet-up does not change the fact that there are hardly any Italians in Charlotte. It just confirms that they're such a rarity that they have to set up online meetings to find one another. I know New Yorkers are generally over-dramatic and tend to over exaggerate everything, but make no mistake, New York will be the mecca of Italians in the U.S.A. for hundreds of years to come.

The Census Bureau actually keeps track of these things.

From the Census:

Italian Ancestry, Metro Area
New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT: 3,246,878
Charlotte-Concord, NC-SC CSA: 83,513

Italian Ancestry, City Limits

New York City: 548,548
Charlotte: 27,164

American FactFinder - Results

And the numbers of Italians continually increase if you look back through the years.

There are more Italians in the 10 block tract of 130-140th street in Manhattan than there are in the entire city Charlotte, according to the Census. LOL.

Last edited by UAE50; 04-11-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 06:36 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
And that cute little Charlotte meet-up does not change the fact that there are hardly any Italians in Charlotte. It just confirms that they're such a rarity that they have to set up online meetings to find one another. New York will be the mecca of Italians in the U.S.A. for hundreds of years to come.

The Census Bureau actually keeps track of these things.

From the Census:

Italian Ancestry, Metro Area
New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT: 2,693,055
Charlotte-Concord, NC-SC CSA: 65,907

Italian Ancestry, City Limits
New York City: 472,530
Charlotte: 21,704

American FactFinder - Results

There are more Italians in the 10 block tract of 130-140th street in Manhattan than there are in the entire city Charlotte, according to the Census. LOL.
Read it and weep pal: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...3/chapter2.pdf

We are talking about Italian-Americans not immigrants from Italy.

Immigrants long favored arriving to major urban areas where they would find others from their country/region and (hopefully) employment. However successive generations can and often do move once they have established themselves. Again this is why the various Little Italy areas scattered around NYC are shrinking if not vanishing all together.

Italian-Americans are not somehow immune to the high taxes and COL of New York City and New Jersey, thus you see migration. They also are quite aware how once strong hold areas have changed into places they don't like including getting too dark for their tastes. So they pack up and move.

Back in my day Italian-Americans on Staten Island not liking what was going on moved to New Jersey. Well NJ with its high taxes and other problems isn't what it once was either, so now people are looking further south.

Don't know why am bothering arguing with you anyway. YOU are pulling random data off the Internet and probably do not even live in NYC. I OTOH was born and raised on Staten Island when it was mostly Italian. Every major holiday when I drive home more and more the license plates seen on the Outerbridge or Goethals bridge are from NJ, NC, and FLA. The vehicles parked in driveways are becoming ditto. When I read the obituary listings in the local newspaper you see more and more "formally of ......." but died elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City