Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:03 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Italians have been considered white since at least World War II.

Even white supremacists consider Italians white now.

In fact, if you claim that Italians or any other form of Europeans are not white, they'll accuse you of being a Jew trying to divide and conquer the white race.

I've heard of Klan members with Italian sounding surnames.

I know a lot of racist rednecks and none of them have any issues with Italians.

I've never know any Italians to not consider themselves white, nor have I heard anyone refer to them as not being white in real life.
I find it alarming that you have so many friends that are racist rednecks, Klan members, and white supremacists. You should stay clear of them. They are no good.

Puerto Ricans and Cubans are pretty much white now too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 07:22 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,601,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not denying any of that, but I know of plenty of Southern Italians that may put down white on paper but don't get too into that being white thing. That's especially true of Sicilians. Historically, any time that there's been a threat to the size of the white population, the government has turned to populations not considered white and given them *white status*. When Italians came over they were in the same boat as blacks, and there are a number of books and movies that document this. Vendetta is a good example.

Now the U.S. has *white Hispanics* as a category. It's laughable. Am sure there are plenty of Hispanics that may have light skin but their features say otherwise, even some of the South Americans from places like Chile and Argentina. I always pay attention to features more than anything. They say a lot about a person.
Most Chileans and Argentinians are white.
Most Argentinians are of purely European descent (white).

Many Cubans and Puerto Ricans are also white, of European descent.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:06 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I find it alarming that you have so many friends that are racist rednecks, Klan members, and white supremacists. You should stay clear of them. They are no good.

Puerto Ricans and Cubans are pretty much white now too.
I never implied that these people were my friends, I just happen to know how these types of people feel.

Quote:
Not denying any of that, but I know of plenty of Southern Italians that may put down white on paper but don't get too into that being white thing. That's especially true of Sicilians. Historically, any time that there's been a threat to the size of the white population, the government has turned to populations not considered white and given them *white status*. When Italians came over they were in the same boat as blacks, and there are a number of books and movies that document this. Vendetta is a good example.

Now the U.S. has *white Hispanics* as a category. It's laughable. Am sure there are plenty of Hispanics that may have light skin but their features say otherwise, even some of the South Americans from places like Chile and Argentina. I always pay attention to features more than anything. They say a lot about a person.
Italians in the same boat as blacks? I don't know about that. I know they faced discrimination when they first came, however black people were still treated a lot worse. And if I'm not mistaken, both Irish and Italians became police officers relatively quickly in NYC. While I doubt that blacks made up a significant chunk of the NYPD until more recent years.

For what it's worth, most Hispanics who mark white on the US Census don't actually think they're white, they pick that because the "Hispanic or not Hispanic" question is seperate from the race question.

Of course there are a lot of actual white Hispanics as well, but the vast majority of Hispanics in the US are mestizo (and/or mulatto if you live in the Northeast or Florida)

Old 07-25-2017, 04:16 AM

782 posts, read 527,838 times
Growing up, I heard from Italian-Americans of Sicilian ancestry that many Italians considered Sicilians to be black.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Growing up, I heard from Italian-Americans of Sicilian ancestry that many Italians considered Sicilians to be black.
My wife's ancestry is from Sicily. If she took a genetic test she'd likely come up as North African.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,404,541 times
Quote:
That depends on who you ask. Historically, Italians have not been considered white, and am here to tell you some Italians don't call themselves such either. Legally, yes, have the *privilege* to write in white, but what they call themselves unofficially is another matter. Can tell you having been to Italy, there are definitely Italians that look quite mixed because some actually are. Historically, Italians are a mixed group anyway, even in the North. Difference is the type of mixtures in the North vs the South and Sicily and Sardinia.
Historically, whenever a new group of Europeans came over they were not considered white. Germans were not considered desirable at one time, Irish were not considered white as were Eastern Europeans. Times changed as the groups were assimilated. Now it is ridiculous to consider them otherwise.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I never implied that these people were my friends, I just happen to know how these types of people feel.

Italians in the same boat as blacks? I don't know about that. I know they faced discrimination when they first came, however black people were still treated a lot worse. And if I'm not mistaken, both Irish and Italians became police officers relatively quickly in NYC. While I doubt that blacks made up a significant chunk of the NYPD until more recent years.

For what it's worth, most Hispanics who mark white on the US Census don't actually think they're white, they pick that because the "Hispanic or not Hispanic" question is seperate from the race question.

Of course there are a lot of actual white Hispanics as well, but the vast majority of Hispanics in the US are mestizo (and/or mulatto if you live in the Northeast or Florida)
You should really avoid trying to get into the psyche of the bigot. It is not healthy, and will just turn you into a bigot yourself.

Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Argentinians, Paraguayans, Uruguayans, Persians, some Arabs, Italians, Greeks, Serbians, Armenians, Koreans, Japanese, some Chinese, etc...are all white people to a certain extent.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:

Yes I know all of that but thanks for the history lesson. If you go back far enough in history, yes Italians worked the docks in the South in some cases and yes they were treated as poorly as the blacks.

Quote:
You should really avoid trying to get into the psyche of the bigot. It is not healthy, and will just turn you into a bigot yourself.

Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Argentinians, Paraguayans, Uruguayans, Persians, some Arabs, Italians, Greeks, Serbians, Armenians, Koreans, Japanese, some Chinese, etc...are all white people to a certain extent.
Bigot? Am of European ancestry myself. Think I know the history of my country. If you're Italian, there are movies and books that document this. You can either be denial or do your research. It was common for Italians to be hung, lynched etc because they were not given white status immediately when they came, and yes in some cases they were treated as poorly as blacks. They were in a battle to cement their status in the country so just like other groups that came before them, they had to struggle. A good chunk of my background is of Southern Italian ancestry, so I know my history very well, speak the language and have lived in the old country and elsewhere. Depending on where in Italy one is from, can be quite mixed. The Spanish, the Greeks, the Moors and many other groups had an impact on parts of Italy. The North also saw its mixture mainly from nearby areas. No one ever said the groups you mentioned aren't mixed or have some degrees of European ancestry. They all are. Some like the Chileans and Argentines may be of European mixture or a mixture of Indian and Spanish or even black (small amounts but the mixture is there). Both places had a large amount of European migration, but that doesn't mean that the indigenous population was completely wiped out, though some would like to believe that, and while black slaves weren't carried to either country in high numbers, they were carried there nonetheless. I have friends from both countries who fit the stereotype of being all European and some that don't, including an Argentine female who appears to be very white, but whose mother was mixed with black in Argentina. She used to always joke and comment about it because most Argentines will point to their Italian and Spanish ancestry.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Yes I know all of that but thanks for the history lesson. If you go back far enough in history, yes Italians worked the docks in the South in some cases and yes they were treated as poorly as the blacks.

Bigot? Am of European ancestry myself. Think I know the history of my country. If you're Italian, there are movies and books that document this. You can either be denial or do your research. It was common for Italians to be hung, lynched etc because they were not given white status immediately when they came, and yes in some cases they were treated as poorly as blacks. They were in a battle to cement their status in the country so just like other groups that came before them, they had to struggle. A good chunk of my background is of Southern Italian ancestry, so I know my history very well, speak the language and have lived in the old country and elsewhere. Depending on where in Italy one is from, can be quite mixed. The Spanish, the Greeks, the Moors and many other groups had an impact on parts of Italy. The North also saw its mixture mainly from nearby areas. No one ever said the groups you mentioned aren't mixed or have some degrees of European ancestry. They all are. Some like the Chileans and Argentines may be of European mixture or a mixture of Indian and Spanish or even black (small amounts but the mixture is there). Both places had a large amount of European migration, but that doesn't mean that the indigenous population was completely wiped out, though some would like to believe that, and while black slaves weren't carried to either country in high numbers, they were carried there nonetheless. I have friends from both countries who fit the stereotype of being all European and some that don't, including an Argentine female who appears to be very white, but whose mother was mixed with black in Argentina. She used to always joke and comment about it because most Argentines will point to their Italian and Spanish ancestry.
I wasn't referring to you as the bigot. If you thought so, then there was a mix up on how the posts were coming together. I was referring to I1995 and his dealings with Klan members. He really shouldn't be hanging out with them. None of us should. Maybe he's a mole.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:32 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
I wasn't referring to you as the bigot. If you thought so, then there was a mix up on how the posts were coming together. I was referring to I1995 and his dealings with Klan members. He really shouldn't be hanging out with them. None of us should. Maybe he's a mole.
Ahhh... Will have to read that part again. Will say though, he is right about some Klan members now being Italian. Can tell you there was a time in Bensonhurst where there was talk about the Klan existing. Never knew if it was true or not, but would be funny simply because always thought the Klan wasn't wild about Catholics. If they've relinquished that ideology, then they must be much more accepting than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City