Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:30 PM

162 posts, read 181,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post
Thank you! I'm not that worried about expenses anymore.
Good.
I wrote this for you. Now get here and experience it.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...manhattan.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:51 PM

103 posts, read 82,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Employable View Post
Good.
I wrote this for you. Now get here and experience it.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...manhattan.html
Man, I can't wait I visit friends in Queens & Manhattan often so I have a good idea of how "crazy" it is over there but I can't wait to make it my home. I had a good laugh at some of the stuff you wrote too

Old 04-11-2015, 10:23 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
There are two enormous expenses in New York: housing and private education. After that, the cost of living is about the same as in any major city. If you’re single, you can live very well in New York—provided your housing costs are under control.
Don't forget that keeping a car is....ridiculously expensive in most parts of nyc given the insurance, garage fees, and most car owners often pay for a monthly metro card anyway for daily commutes. The total sum is relatively smaller than housing and private schools, but % wise, car related expenses easily triple those in other states. Gas is always 40 cents higher than most other states, and if you have frequent out of town visits, the bridge and tunnel and turnpikes add up very fast too. For a single person with $200k income, these are probably negligible; but for a family on a $200k budget, you do have to plan carefully about how you spend your money.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:20 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Adopt me?

Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Don't forget that keeping a car is....ridiculously expensive in most parts of nyc given the insurance, garage fees, and most car owners often pay for a monthly metro card anyway for daily commutes. The total sum is relatively smaller than housing and private schools, but % wise, car related expenses easily triple those in other states. Gas is always 40 cents higher than most other states, and if you have frequent out of town visits, the bridge and tunnel and turnpikes add up very fast too. For a single person with $200k income, these are probably negligible; but for a family on a $200k budget, you do have to plan carefully about how you spend your money.
After looking into insurance and parking costs, I still think it might be worth it to keep my car just in case. In my field of work, there's lots of opportunities in riverdale or Yonkers too, so I never know when I'll actually need a car for my daily commute.

And I definitely don't plan on having a family soon until I settle down with husband that makes AT least the same amount of $ as me or more! lol

Last edited by crna101; 04-11-2015 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 12:01 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
People on here are making it out like you are going to be living some life of luxury. Will you be hungry, unsure where the next meal comes from? No. But you're a lot closer in salary to the bottom 1% than the top 1%.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
People on here are making it out like you are going to be living some life of luxury. Will you be hungry, unsure where the next meal comes from? No. But you're a lot closer in salary to the bottom 1% than the top 1%.
Of course! I'm sure you can't live a lavish lifestyle in the city unless you made $350k + as a single person. I know I won't be carrying dozens of Prada bags and going to 5 star restaurants with my friends. I'll literally be renting a studio apartment and a parking spot for my car. Most of my food will be cheap Indian takeout and I'll think twice or even three times before buying a $70 shirt.

My salary is only wealthy in Louisiana or Mississippi. It's barely touching upper middle class in Philadelphia where I currently am right now. I still enjoy my money though and I buy myself nice bags & shoes every now and then so that's my little piece of luxury in life

Old 04-12-2015, 12:42 AM

167 posts, read 306,166 times
If you had more money, what would be the materialistic extravagances you would actually do?

I'm genuinely curious because people are in love with my extravangances on Instagram and I make way less six figures than you and live in Manhattan, travel a lot, not exactly frugal and have lots left over for whatever

Old 04-12-2015, 02:52 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,236 times
uh, you're going to paradise dude. between the high quality food and the girls on eros and the unlimited entertainment (knicks, theater, apple store releasing the watch (this is important)...), seriously, nothing is better than new york city when you have that much money to play with. you are really going to be happy.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
If you had more money, what would be the materialistic extravagances you would actually do?

I'm genuinely curious because people are in love with my extravangances on Instagram and I make way less six figures than you and live in Manhattan, travel a lot, not exactly frugal and have lots left over for whatever
Well, I'm a girl & I'm really keen on clothes and makeup. I would definitely buy more expensive handbags for starters and definitely more shoes. I love my BMW too and so far I have lowering springs, upgraded Akrapovic exhaust, 20" rims, new lip, and rear diffuser. I would love to either upgrade my current car or get a newer car and mess around with it. Doing European Delivery would be awesome too if I had the time and money.. it's when you pick up your new BMW in Munich and drive it around for a few weeks before they ship it to the USA for you!

Traveling is unfortunately almost impossible for me because of my job. But if I had time off of work, I would love to visit India and Thailand. Vacations in Vegas seem fun too!
I'm also a fan of music festivals, so if I had the time, I would love to go to Coachella.

Don't get me wrong though, I live my life and enjoy my money but I also love having big savings. I'm sure that if other people got a hold of my salary, they'd be spending a lot more of it. I like to think of myself as SLIGHTLY conservative with money.. The only thing that's keeping me from spending gobs of my salary is my work schedule and I'm actually glad that that's the case because it's hard for me to go broke if I'm always at work !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City