Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:08 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times

Advertisements

Bay Ridge peaked as a neighborhood and it will only be in a decline in relevance as the surrounding neighborhood improve, while Astoria is improving and will surpass bay ridge in relevance given the city goal of renovating the waterfront facing Manhattan (east river). It takes the same amount of time to arrive in downtown Manhattan if you travel from Astoria or Bay Ridge (about 40 minutes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:12 PM

313 posts, read 212,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmama0217 View Post
I know who owns that. Check the clientele...it's yuppies not hipsters
Yuppies and Hipsters are pretty much the same.

And Sunset Park is definitely not a scary place like North or Eastern Brooklyn. Sunset Park is far from being a "hood" (in my opinion) just because it has Hispanics, its pretty much safe, maybe in the 90s it was bad.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:13 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
I agree Astoria is closer to Midtown but like you said Bay Ridge is closer to Downtown, the R from 86 takes me to City Hall in 25-30 minutes.
Astoria is not all that much further from Downtown than Bay Ridge. A couple minutes difference.

I'm much more familiar with Astoria than Bay Ridge, but I'd imagine Astoria is both more dense and industrial.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Astoria is not all that much further from Downtown than Bay Ridge. A couple minutes difference.

I'm much more familiar with Astoria than Bay Ridge, but I'd imagine Astoria is both more dense and industrial.
That's if you take the express (Q) train but I'm assuming the local (N) will take much longer to get to downtown Manhattan

Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 PM

11 posts, read 15,365 times
Quote:
Yuppies and Hipsters are pretty much the same.

And Sunset Park is definitely not a scary place like North or Eastern Brooklyn. Sunset Park is far from being a "hood" (in my opinion) just because it has Hispanics, its pretty much safe, maybe in the 90s it was bad.
Yuppies are professional young people who go to jobs that they have to wear suits too. Hipsters are usually "artists" with liberal arts degrees who sleep till noon

Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Bay Ridge peaked as a neighborhood and it will only be in a decline in relevance as the surrounding neighborhood improve, while Astoria is improving and will surpass bay ridge in relevance given the city goal of renovating the waterfront facing Manhattan (east river). It takes the same amount of time to arrive in downtown Manhattan if you travel from Astoria or Bay Ridge (about 40 minutes).
What about the surrounding neighborhoods of LIC which is building up? Bay Ridge is constantly building up since its a popular district in South West Brooklyn, also it takes about 25 min to downtown Manhattan from Bay Ridge on the local (R) line

Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
That's if you take the express (Q) train but I'm assuming the local (N) will take much longer to get to downtown Manhattan
Doesn't matter which one you take, you transfer on 59st to catch the 4 & 5 express (takes about 2-3 minutes). You will be in bowling green station within 25-30 minutes.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmama0217 View Post
Yuppies are professional young people who go to jobs that they have to wear suits too. Hipsters are usually "artists" with liberal arts degrees who sleep till noon
Lol, I guess but at the end of the day other than fixing up some bad areas, they both destroy the culture and kick the hard working people out.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:57 AM

102 posts, read 145,882 times
Astoria also has about half the population of Bay Ridge, and Bay Ridge is much denser---50% more people per square mile.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
What about the surrounding neighborhoods of LIC which is building up? Bay Ridge is constantly building up since its a popular district in South West Brooklyn, also it takes about 25 min to downtown Manhattan from Bay Ridge on the local (R) line
LIC is similar to williamsburg in which it was a industrial zone being transformed into a residential area. It the land of new glassy luxury building. Astoria will benefit from the proximity of the area. The changes in Astoria won't be as transparent as LIC because Astoria was always residential.

NYC real estate is irregular due to government intervention. Normally the closer proximity to Manhattan the better the neighborhood should be. I believe NYC is reverting back to normality with the new development of northwest and central Brooklyn, western queens, and upper Manhattan. Bay ridge has been a bit of a outlier in terms of popularity and how expensive it is due to people wanting to live in a safe and aesthetic pleasing community in the past when crime rate in other neighborhoods was high, but now a days people are actually picking to live in 'do or die' bedstuy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City