Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:07 PM

26 posts, read 41,948 times

Advertisements

I would choose a paid off house in Redwood City over living in NYC. I have actually lived in both areas. There is nothing in NYC that you cannot find in California (NorCal specifically which includes the Bay Area, Sacramento Valley/Sierra Nevadas, California Coast from Humboldt down to Monterey and the agricultural Central Valley). You want NY Pizza go to the TL in SF, theres a spot on Valencia...or you can go on an adventure to explore the East Bay and go to Livermore and there is a small pizza joint in this plaza that has a totem pole and the Pizza there will remind you of the days of $1 slices with a can of soda. Redwood City is nice because you can easily get to SF/Oakland/SJ, The thing is that in CA cities are like boroughs back in NYC, and the places that seem like distant areas or satellite cities are actually exurbs and suburbs for the major centers. As an example most people do not live in downtown SF (or downtown LA) but they would still say they live in SF or LA etc because their area is just considered to be a 'burb (like Daly City, Emeryville or San Bruno in the Bay or Pasadena/Santa Monica/Chatsworth in LA) The Quality of Life is far greater in the Bay Area than in NYC, plus the best thing about CA is that you go to the weather you want instead of it coming to you...you miss snow drive to the mountains in less than 2 hrs, you want a sunny beach day in December drive to Santa Cruz (but not in the summer because it's a mediterranean climate with that Alaska current so theres May Gray June Gloom clouds)...There are only 4 places on Earth with weather like CA, and thats parts of Chile, South Africa, Australia, the Mediterranean/Near East/North Africa...You can see palms, eucalyptus and pine trees all in the same area growing happily. The house in Redwood City is more than a piece of flippable real estate, it's the last gift from your mother to you, a chance to have a fresh start in a place most people struggle their whole lives and pay millions to get into. You know what decision is best for you and your family though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:08 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
OP, you're trying to make an emotional decision, not a rational one based purely on financial concerns so it's very hard for anyone but you to make that choice.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
While Bay Area isn't cheaper, free house is better than paying rent. Bay Area has a very good job market so I would take it in a heart beat.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:16 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Also throw into the consideration that there are two young children here, so that in deciding where to move you have to look very carefully at the school situation.

I have no idea what the public schools are like in Redwood City , CA, but if I were in your position I would be breaking my neck to find out before I made a decision to stay here or move.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:21 PM

282 posts, read 351,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernsaga007 View Post
I would choose a paid off house in Redwood City over living in NYC. I have actually lived in both areas. There is nothing in NYC that you cannot find in California (NorCal specifically which includes the Bay Area, Sacramento Valley/Sierra Nevadas, California Coast from Humboldt down to Monterey and the agricultural Central Valley). You want NY Pizza go to the TL in SF, theres a spot on Valencia...or you can go on an adventure to explore the East Bay and go to Livermore and there is a small pizza joint in this plaza that has a totem pole and the Pizza there will remind you of the days of $1 slices with a can of soda. Redwood City is nice because you can easily get to SF/Oakland/SJ, The thing is that in CA cities are like boroughs back in NYC, and the places that seem like distant areas or satellite cities are actually exurbs and suburbs for the major centers. As an example most people do not live in downtown SF (or downtown LA) but they would still say they live in SF or LA etc because their area is just considered to be a 'burb (like Daly City, Emeryville or San Bruno in the Bay or Pasadena/Santa Monica/Chatsworth in LA) The Quality of Life is far greater in the Bay Area than in NYC, plus the best thing about CA is that you go to the weather you want instead of it coming to you...you miss snow drive to the mountains in less than 2 hrs, you want a sunny beach day in December drive to Santa Cruz (but not in the summer because it's a mediterranean climate with that Alaska current so theres May Gray June Gloom clouds)...There are only 4 places on Earth with weather like CA, and thats parts of Chile, South Africa, Australia, the Mediterranean/Near East/North Africa...You can see palms, eucalyptus and pine trees all in the same area growing happily. The house in Redwood City is more than a piece of flippable real estate, it's the last gift from your mother to you, a chance to have a fresh start in a place most people struggle their whole lives and pay millions to get into. You know what decision is best for you and your family though.

bay area is boring. exotic plants doesn't change that. i am from los angeles and have i lived in los altos, and in san francisco and wasn't a big fan. it was perfectly fine, but i have experience with nyc and i would pick nyc every time over the bay area. i'm young and like the vibe, style, walkability and excitement of cities like new york (and london, paris). new york is perhaps the greatest city in the world, and san francisco is very watered down and sleepy in comparison. everything closes early. the people aren't as interesting, nor as as attractive. the city doesn't have the same pulse or vibe. i find the quality of life better in a city like new york than the outskirts of the bay area, because i would not have to be a slave to vehicle and can spend my entire day walking and passing things that aren't strip malls.

i suppose someone older and into suburban living would love redwood city, but that's not for me at all.

the ONLY thing that changes the equation is free house. if i were struggling, i would go with the free housing. but realistically, i would just sell that house, since the bay area's housing market is doing great, and keep the money. or rent it out.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,666 times
If it were me, I would consider Redwood City. Partly because of the family connection and the free rent, but also the Bay Area is a great place. I definitely prefer Oakland/Berkeley than the Peninsula, but it's only an hour away.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
Running a SF house as a rental from across the country is likely a low probability of success venture. It could work, if they get the right management company. But that's a crap shoot.

I think that they should either move into the house, or sell the house. A house in Silicon Valley is likely to be VERY valuable (no matter what shape it's in.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
Have you considered using the house as an income property? I know nothing about the area so I'm really not much help but it doesn't sound like either of you are really interested in leaving NY. What about vacationing there this summer to get an idea of what the day-to-day life would be like?

Old 05-05-2015, 02:59 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamo View Post
I don't know what to do. My partner and I currently live in a lovely 3bd apartment in Washington Heights with our kids (7 and 5) and dog. We love our neighbors, our neighborhood, our friends, and NYC life. Our kids love their school and their friends. My partner is a 4th generation NYer, and neither of us could ever imagine leaving, until we inherited a free house.

My mother recently passed away and left me her fully paid off house in Redwood City, which is a suburb on the peninsula of the Bay Area, CA. I grew up in Petaluma and only visited Redwood City a few times, and it was fine - pretty white, good schools, 30 mins from SF, some independent shops. We are considering it because to not have to pay for housing and still live in a relatively urban liberal area would be incredible. But I just don't know if I can give up my life here.

What would you do? Is this area cheaper than where we are now? What would it take for you to leave NY?
If the house were in San Francisco proper, I would definitely consider it if I were you. But Redwood City is a suburb town and I wouldn't exchange living Manhattan for a place that is a suburb town which isn't SF proper.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:30 PM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If the house were in San Francisco proper, I would definitely consider it if I were you. But Redwood City is a suburb town and I wouldn't exchange living Manhattan for a place that is a suburb town which isn't SF proper.
But on the flip side, the OP is in Washington Heights, which some say might as well be a suburb of the rest of Manhattan

Old 05-05-2015, 04:02 PM

102 posts, read 145,967 times
What would I do? It doesn't matter, but I would move. I've lived a lot of places, so I'm used to adjusting to new places and lifestyles, I don't have kids, and I am not at all attached to NYC as home even though I do like it.

What should you do? It seems like you want to stay in NYC despite the financial benefit of free housing. Sell the house, use the money for housing in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: