Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 AM

493 posts, read 385,971 times

Advertisements

Dim City? Proposal seeks to turn off lights in some NYC buildings at night to save energy

Ridiculous proposal! World's most famous skyline that isn't even colorful and bright enough for its size unlike other major well-known skyline cities in the world may now even dim building lights at night to "save energy." I truly hope the proposal dies down - indeed, they need to make the night skyline more bright and more colorful, not less!

Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
It would have the desirable side effect of being able to see something in the night sky besides the MOON.
Permanent daylight is a bore.

Keep streetlights on and first story commercial lighting on for safety. But unoccupied high rises...turn the f**kin' lights off when you leave. Hallways on for janitorial staff, okay, but beach level lighting 24/7 for everything is stupidly wasteful.
And guess what, big commercial users get Con-Ed breaks...guess who makes up the difference.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
If it's to save energy then it's fine by me.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It would have the desirable side effect of being able to see something in the night sky besides the MOON.
Permanent daylight is a bore.

Keep streetlights on and first story commercial lighting on for safety. But unoccupied high rises...turn the f**kin' lights off when you leave. Hallways on for janitorial staff, okay, but beach level lighting 24/7 for everything is stupidly wasteful.
And guess what, big commercial users get Con-Ed breaks...guess who makes up the difference.
Yup.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
So the guy who came up with the idea got it from Paris which doesn't really have a skyline because they don't have any skyscrapers. If we want to save energy, why are we just targeting these lights as if they were the worst culprit? Do you know how much power it takes to keep the internet running with the all data centers in the world up 24/7? Do you think all that traffic is essential or a lot of is just bored people up at night when they should be asleep? Either go all the way with saving power and green living or don't bother at all. I see no point in randomly targeting one practice when it just comes from a guy who happens to have a "brilliant" idea.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 AM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
The building owners and their tenants are paying for their own energy costs. If they want to keep the lights on, it's their prerogative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
If it's to save energy then it's fine by me.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The building owners and their tenants are paying for their own energy costs. If they want to keep the lights on, it's their prerogative.
What you stated is valid but I'm sure if many owners saw some of the savings figures they would consider it. I also want to point out that we all share the same system and especially during peak summer months the lights being on in these big unused commercial spaces creates extra demand on the grid that could easily be reduced.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 AM

493 posts, read 385,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
So the guy who came up with the idea got it from Paris which doesn't really have a skyline because they don't have any skyscrapers. If we want to save energy, why are we just targeting these lights as if they were the worst culprit? Do you know how much power it takes to keep the internet running with the all data centers in the world up 24/7? Do you think all that traffic is essential or a lot of is just bored people up at night when they should be asleep? Either go all the way with saving power and green living or don't bother at all. I see no point in randomly targeting one practice when it just comes from a guy who happens to have a "brilliant" idea.
http://images.metroscenes.com/images...nes.com_32.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-18-2015 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Post only our own images

Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
My condo in brooklyn use to have a huge beacon that lit up at night... looked cool if you lived across the river in Manhattan.
We were sick of paying sky high electricity bill, so the board decided to turn it off

Maybe they should switch to LED/CFL lights.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:09 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
The owners could get that savings now if they wanted. They likely know to the nickle what it costs them. They chose not to.

As far as the grid usage, peak usage is during the day in the summer. It generally trails off somewhat at night (when AC use is less.) Those lights are on all day (as people use the offices.) So the night time use doesn't add any more stress to the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
What you stated is valid but I'm sure if many owners saw some of the savings figures they would consider it. I also want to point out that we all share the same system and especially during peak summer months the lights being on in these big unused commercial spaces creates extra demand on the grid that could easily be reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City