Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:37 PM

50 posts, read 88,558 times

Advertisements

Hello - I'm a location scout working on a film and am looking throughout the NY area for a nice old suburban house that may be a type of "holdout," as developers/chains came into the neighborhood. The house should be nice, but not too nice. But the main thing is that it should be right next to a chain or chain stores like CVS, Starbucks, etc. I don't mean around the corner, I mean right next to an older suburban house. Have you seen this in your neighborhood or throughout your travels? Might you have any suggestions on where I might be able to find this? Anything I can checkout with Google streetview would be really appreciated! It can be anywhere within 30 or so miles of NYC, so Brooklyn, Queens, etc...wherever is fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:51 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Something like this? Unfortunately I don't think Liquor Saver is a chain.

https://goo.gl/maps/IwEWI

You can find a LOT of places like this in old NJ downtowns with a suburban house next to a chain store, but the catch is the house is usually being (obviously) used for commercial purposes now.

Here's another; Manny's Texas Weiners IS a chain

https://goo.gl/maps/Hcdtc

Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 PM

yes! these are great. the only issue is that we are trying to keep everything in the state of NY, so i do not think NJ will work, but I'll certainly present it for research purposes. It's important for the house to have a front and back yard, too, and ideally have a road in front that is large enough to accommodate two ways of traffic (preferably it is a two way street, but if it's wide enough, we may be able to fake it. thank you for your help!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Flushing, NY (in Queens) might be a good place to look because it traditionally always had a lot of houses but also got horribly over developed over the years. I just Googled CVS in Flushing NY and clicked on street view and already got one hit. There are probably others that are better.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7635...Fw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old 05-06-2015, 10:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Also maybe Elmhurst NY https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7348...vw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Edit - I guess the ones I'm finding wouldn't really be considered suburban homes, more like urban homes.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:34 AM

415 posts, read 514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1982 View Post
yes! these are great. the only issue is that we are trying to keep everything in the state of NY, so i do not think NJ will work, but I'll certainly present it for research purposes. It's important for the house to have a front and back yard, too, and ideally have a road in front that is large enough to accommodate two ways of traffic (preferably it is a two way street, but if it's wide enough, we may be able to fake it. thank you for your help!
I know scores of spots which fit your description. If you buy me dinner and pay for gas I'll even drive (I've got an m5 so we'll have fun).

Would I get a credit? I don't need money,,,just fame.
Attached Thumbnails
Reload this Page Looking for location for film: Suburban Home Right Next to Chain Store(s)?-image.jpg  

Old 05-07-2015, 05:41 AM

415 posts, read 514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
I know scores of spots which fit your description. If you buy me dinner and pay for gas I'll even drive (I've got an m5 so we'll have fun).

How's this?
Attached Thumbnails
Reload this Page Looking for location for film: Suburban Home Right Next to Chain Store(s)?-image.jpg  

Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:
How's this?

haha! sounds fun! for now, i'm just looking for general ideas, and if the production designer likes them, i need to track down owners, get inside homes, get extensive photos of them, present those photos, etc. If you can give me ideas that I can follow up on and then if one of them actually become a location in the film, i'll certainly be happy to take you out to eat! as far as a credit, i'll be honest with you, it's highly doubtful. i may not even get one even though i'm the assistant location manager on the film. as far as the options you've provided, it's really hard to tell from the screencaps. if you could tell me the intersections or provide the link, i'd be able to tell a bit better if they're worth following up on. one thing, i know the house should be pretty nice and needs to have both front and back yards.

Here's a picture of one I think our production designer and director may like, just to give you a better idea:

And from what I've seen from being around some celebrities, fame is overrated! Enjoy your privacy!
Attached Thumbnails
Reload this Page Looking for location for film: Suburban Home Right Next to Chain Store(s)?-i-fhzsdkw-x3.jpg  

Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 PM

518 posts, read 825,713 times
No chains near it but this one definitely held out https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6276...NX1FlJTeeg!2e0

Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Flushing, NY (in Queens) might be a good place to look because it traditionally always had a lot of houses but also got horribly over developed over the years. I just Googled CVS in Flushing NY and clicked on street view and already got one hit. There are probably others that are better.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7635...Fw!2e0!6m1!1e1
That's not FLushing it's Auburndale. But it doesn't fit since the house looks like it was constructed within the last 10 years.

This is what's going on in Flushing. Pieces of crap replaced with expensive condos:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7567...A55upGA2dA!2e0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City