Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:28 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,898,785 times

Advertisements

It's not so hard to make WH a tourist attraction but do you really want that many tourists frolicking in the sidewalks and public spaces there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 11:00 AM

372 posts, read 399,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It's not so hard to make WH a tourist attraction but do you really want that many tourists frolicking in the sidewalks and public spaces there?
More importantly do you really want to give landlords even more excuses to jack up the rents in that neighborhood?

Old 08-23-2015, 12:00 PM

88,871 posts, read 85,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Inwood/Washington Heights does have a lot of interesting sites, but I don't think there's likely to be much draw in terms of it being an ethnic enclave for various reasons.

For one, the history of Washington Heights as a predominantly Dominican neighborhood is simply not that long in comparison to that for Chinatown, Harlem, or Little Italy so there hasn't been much time for people to become so aware of it, nor for there to have been much in important or iconic events or establishments to have taken root that is very visibly and directly attached to the Dominican community of the neighborhood.

Another is probably because as an ethnic group in the US, Dominicans simply aren't all that well known and don't have a particularly distinctive identity for many Americans or people from other regions of the world, so it's harder for the idea of the neighborhood becoming an international or domestic tourist draw for people not that familiar with the Caribbean.

Aside from it being an ethnic enclave though, Washington Heights/Inwood does have pretty great attractions such as the Cloisters, the multiple parks, the wonderful view of the George Washington Bridge (best bridge in the city) and the Palisades, the oldest existing house in Manhattan, and the newly reopened High bridge. Probably the most direct route to get tourists to go uptown though is making better use of the little known Audubon Terrace complex. The Hispanic Society of America's collection there is fantastic, but it's considering a move downtown while the American Academy of Arts and Letters has really limited hours. Meanwhile, Boricua College, which isn't much of an attraction, seems kind of out of place there.
This is true. I had a friend who grew up in Washington Heights. She is about 58 now, so she was a kid back in the 60s. Washington Heights was primarily an Irish neighborhood. She saw the lights from the GWB (and yes, I agree, it is the most beautiful bridge) from her bedroom window as a child. Eventually, Washington Heights began to change and all the Irish moved up north into Inwood. I never even knew Inwood existed until I knew her.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,898,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
More importantly do you really want to give landlords even more excuses to jack up the rents in that neighborhood?
My thoughts, precisely.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:59 PM

7,910 posts, read 7,957,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oycrumbler View Post
inwood/washington heights does have a lot of interesting sites, but i don't think there's likely to be much draw in terms of it being an ethnic enclave for various reasons.

For one, the history of washington heights as a predominantly dominican neighborhood is simply not that long in comparison to that for chinatown, harlem, or little italy so there hasn't been much time for people to become so aware of it, nor for there to have been much in important or iconic events or establishments to have taken root that is very visibly and directly attached to the dominican community of the neighborhood.

Another is probably because as an ethnic group in the us, dominicans simply aren't all that well known and don't have a particularly distinctive identity for many americans or people from other regions of the world, so it's harder for the idea of the neighborhood becoming an international or domestic tourist draw for people not that familiar with the caribbean.

Aside from it being an ethnic enclave though, washington heights/inwood does have pretty great attractions such as the cloisters, the multiple parks, the wonderful view of the george washington bridge (best bridge in the city) and the palisades, the oldest existing house in manhattan, and the newly reopened high bridge. Probably the most direct route to get tourists to go uptown though is making better use of the little known audubon terrace complex. The hispanic society of america's collection there is fantastic, but it's considering a move downtown while the american academy of arts and letters has really limited hours. Meanwhile, boricua college, which isn't much of an attraction, seems kind of out of place there.
+1

Old 08-23-2015, 10:38 PM

21 posts, read 90,220 times
Thanks for this info! My husband are going to be staying in WH for 4 nights in September and I really want to know more about what the locals recommend...good places for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and coffee shops, cute boutiques or thrift stores, book stores, etc? Thanks!

Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 AM

41 posts, read 38,790 times
The only thing that's an attraction in Washington Heights is the George Washington Bridge, Fort Tryon Park and The Cloisters, that's it. A lot of people, New Yorkers included, think Washington Heights is actually part of The Bronx, and we already know how the majority of Whites and out-of-towners feels about The Bronx. It's part of the NO-GO zone, except, of course, Yankee Stadium. Perhaps is this resemblance to this unpopular borough for tourists that makes Wash Heights so unappealing in their eyes and the eyes of tour guide companies.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:37 AM

993 posts, read 1,391,506 times
Handstowardthesky, I liked WH and enjoyed my year there, but in NYC time that's not long so I'm no neighborhood expert. I lived on W. 160th/Riverside Drive, a few blocks west of Broadway.

I don't know of bookstores/thrift in WH, although there are bookstores in a nearby neighborhood (see below). There are many immigrant-family-run places up and down Broadway selling inexpensive clothing and shoes, but I didn't see (in my year there) a place selling second-hand quality clothing on consignment in WH.

My favorite place there for breakfast or brunch is Sweet Life Pastry, on Broadway between W. 162-163. Only 4 people can sit down, but they make everything like blueberry pancakes from scratch each order, very good coffee, friendly family-run. Pastries and other items are always mouth-watering. Two blocks south of Sweet Life, on same side of Broadway (west) is a Cuban bakery with more sit-down room, but of the two I slightly favored the pastries and bread at Sweet Life. But you can enjoy both, if you're looking for neighborhood feeling that's in no way yuppified.

There was a group of restaurants on Broadway's east side, between around W. 165-168. So from Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital, walk across B'way and south a block and on. These are mostly older Dominican and some new ones opening from South America. We got good take-home food from a new "Texas" barbeque there; others were line-waiting to sit down in their large restaurant space. An older large Dominican restaurant right in those blocks also offered every meal. If you walk those blocks, I think you'll find a lunch or dinner restaurant you'd enjoy.

I did walk around Yeshiva U (181 @ Amsterdam) but only saw a row of kosher pizza places, scrubby looking and no destination. I did notice one fusion upscale Kosher-Asian corner restaurant that looked worth exploring, but I was alone and passed it by.

I never got to explore the nicer parts of WH, but just now read on Wiki: Historically, the "neighborhood within the neighborhood" that maintained itself as an upscale enclave within Washington Heights throughout the 20th century is called Fort Tryon: " the area west of Broadway, east of the Hudson, north of West 181st Street, and south of Dyckman Street, which includes Fort Tryon Park." So maybe look inside there for what you seek, I don't know.

And in general, keep in mind:
"Within the core area of Washington Heights (between 155th Street and Dyckman Street) there was a considerable internal difference as well. The further north and west one went, the more prestigious the neighborhood.."

My favorite WH cultural attractions are: Hispanic Art Institute museum inside Boricua College. Almost next door to Boricua is the Trinity Church and its historic gated cemetery for a pretty walk-through. The Jumel House has interesting colonial American history, worth a visit whenever they open for a tour or occasional neighborhood arts/music festival.

In a nearby neighborhood, look up online about the various tours offered of Harlem. For example, there's a Neighborhood/Church/Gospel choir Brunch Tour that pleased my mom and her bff one Sunday morning, and others offered on weekdays. Also, research Sugar Hill. I could never get inside a house, but enjoyed walking the blocks called Sugar Hill, thinking of all the Harlem Renaissance musicians, artists and writers there who changed American arts forever.

Back to WH: I loved walking a few blocks on the elevated walkway on Riverside Dr. West overlooking the Hudson River and GW Bridge, especially early evening, that runs between around W.155-160 or so. You can see up and down the East River as the sun sets and lights come on the GW Bridge at night. Plenty of walkers, joggers, bicycles an dog-walkers. It may be that there are better park-river-walks than that, but it was nearest where I lived so I found it. Watch out, there are two "Riverside Drives" but Riverside Dr. West clings to the Hudson River. Very confusing there. There's a whole network of parks and overlooks on Riverside Drive next to the Hudson, but they stop-and-start for pedestrians, so it's all a bit tricky. Research ahead.

If WH isn't what all you imagined for bookstores (I saw none, in an entire year..) don't be sad. Just get on a #1 subway, going south/downtown to around Broadway/W.116th. That part of Morningside Heights/Upper West Side that clings to Columbia U has the Columbia U Bookstore, Bank Street Teachers College bookstore, Judaic bookstore, and various sidewalk cafes popular with Columbia U students and faculty.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 08-24-2015 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: added the Harlem references; corrected COlumbia U bookstore to 116th; notation about Riverside Dr. WEST; reworded the Broadway restaurant locations near hospital

Old 08-24-2015, 07:08 AM

25,429 posts, read 37,233,657 times
Cloisters is nice IF you are into lots of churchy stuff, lots of gold chalices, monstrances, and a gajillion images of Madonna and Child every saint you never heard of set in heavily tapestried rooms.

It is for the pre-Renaissance aficionado. I find it a bit tedious...but the grounds are meditative and "healing." You feel you are a monk a millennium ago...best to carry a rosary or a missal to set the mood, maybe a flask full of Benedictine<yumm.>

Old 08-24-2015, 06:46 PM

88,871 posts, read 85,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Cloisters is nice IF you are into lots of churchy stuff, lots of gold chalices, monstrances, and a gajillion images of Madonna and Child every saint you never heard of set in heavily tapestried rooms.

It is for the pre-Renaissance aficionado. I find it a bit tedious...but the grounds are meditative and "healing." You feel you are a monk a millennium ago...best to carry a rosary or a missal to set the mood, maybe a flask full of Benedictine<yumm.>
Lol @ all the Madonna and Child versions. True!

But there's also the Bury St. Edmunds Cross, made of walrus ivory, 13th century. Was acquired through cloak-and-dagger methods, was missing for a few centuries. Adorned with tiny figurines, it's actually a work of anti-Semitism. I accidentally came across a book on it at the library and recognized the cross on the cover from having seen it at the museum. Weird piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City