Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 07:36 PM

482 posts, read 945,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Like a mating dance. Colorful Birds of paradise. I like it there, but then again I am a city cat from way back, I make the best of the neighborhood with its good food and sweet confident women.

The Washington Heights Diner is GOOD! They have a Dominican breakfast that you have to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 12:44 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Whites with their fascination of and spending power make a place a tourist attraction or not. Unlike with African-Americans, Whites are not fascinated (obsessed) or intrigued by Latinos/Hispanics on a level that would elevate a Latino neighborhood to have loads of tourists and tour buses (like Harlem). It is not exciting to them to go to a Latino neighborhood, museum, restaurant, church or experience "life on the edge" in those neighborhood. Same reason why other than the zoo, the Bronx is not a big tourist draw either.
Not strictly true. Little Havana in Miami is a pretty strong draw for tourists. I think the bigger thing is that there's not much historic or larger cultural movements for most people that is tied to the Dominican residents of Washington Heights--which makes sense since Dominicans have only been a large portion of the population there since the 1970s which doesn't make it all that historic. I think added to that is that in a lot of ways, there's relatively little to distinguish Dominican cuisine and shops from many other fairly similar Spanish Caribbean ones that people are more familiar with in the PR-variant of things.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:09 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I don’t understand why Washington Heights, a Dominican neighborhood, isn’t considered a tourist destination. Isn’t New York City a place where diversity should be embraced? Just like Little Italy, Harlem, and Chinatown are considered tourist destinations, I think Washington Heights should start to be promoted that way. I have been there and I haven’t felt unsafe. The crime rate isn’t like what it is in the 1990’s. I would like to see the day when Washington Heights is a well-known and fun place for the outsider to get a chimi churry or a Dominican cake just like other neighborhoods are successful in attracting outsiders to their restaurants like the Ironbound in Newark for example. Do people just have a fear of Dominicans and Latinos in general?
who says it needs to be a cheesy tourist destination in the firstplace??????

Old 05-09-2015, 05:51 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Whites with their fascination of and spending power make a place a tourist attraction or not. Unlike with African-Americans, Whites are not fascinated (obsessed) or intrigued by Latinos/Hispanics on a level that would elevate a Latino neighborhood to have loads of tourists and tour buses (like Harlem). It is not exciting to them to go to a Latino neighborhood, museum, restaurant, church or experience "life on the edge" in those neighborhood. Same reason why other than the zoo, the Bronx is not a big tourist draw either.
Don't forget Yankee stadium, a bigger draw than the Bronx zoo.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:46 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Don't forget Yankee stadium, a bigger draw than the Bronx zoo.
There's also the New York Botanical Garden and the Wave Hill Estate--not big attractions, but do get some traffic.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:46 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
hey Doomdan, if you live in Glendale, my brother wants to go see the old sitcom All In The Family house ("704 Houser Street") which i found out is actually located at 90- Cooper Ave in Glendale. have you heard anything about people driving up to this house for a look?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:31 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
hey Doomdan, if you live in Glendale, my brother wants to go see the old sitcom All In The Family house ("704 Houser Street") which i found out is actually located at 90- Cooper Ave in Glendale. have you heard anything about people driving up to this house for a look?
I live right by the house actually, but people don't really come by to look at it often. It's on a long stretch of Cooper Avenue where most of the homes look the same for the most part. I'll try to get a picture of it soon.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:37 PM

415 posts, read 514,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I don’t understand why Washington Heights, a Dominican neighborhood, isn’t considered a tourist destination. Isn’t New York City a place where diversity should be embraced? Just like Little Italy, Harlem, and Chinatown are considered tourist destinations, I think Washington Heights should start to be promoted that way. I have been there and I haven’t felt unsafe. The crime rate isn’t like what it is in the 1990’s. I would like to see the day when Washington Heights is a well-known and fun place for the outsider to get a chimi churry or a Dominican cake just like other neighborhoods are successful in attracting outsiders to their restaurants like the Ironbound in Newark for example. Do people just have a fear of Dominicans and Latinos in general?
What are the tourists supposed to buy? Glassine bags of bad coke and loosies??

Old 05-14-2015, 04:21 PM

20 posts, read 30,571 times
Realistically the Heights could be a tourist destination, but it doesn't have the amenities that tourist would be seeking, like side walk cafe's or good shopping. A lot of the better restaurants are not amazing to be a destination dining spot and the positive attributes like the Cloisters and Fort Tryon Park are too far removed from the community. However, I personally think Ft. Tryon park is amazing, and could imagine Broadway between Dyckman and 190th, along the park being developed into a more pedestrian/shopper/dining type of strip, where people could come for the park and then get lunch/dinner, walk around and shop. However at the moment there is hardly a store in that area and just the one Italian place that recently opened up. I also think the Heights, would be a great area to develop lower cost hotels, like a hampton inn, especially around 168th street. I know that there was a hotel that is under construction in the area, but I am not sure when it would open, but given the transportation options with the 1 train and the A train, I think it could be a prime location. I would mention that while some people would not want the neighborhood to change, attracting people to the neighborhood brings business and job, which is sorely needed when you look at all the closed places along Broadway.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaHi View Post
Realistically the Heights could be a tourist destination, but it doesn't have the amenities that tourist would be seeking, like side walk cafe's or good shopping. A lot of the better restaurants are not amazing to be a destination dining spot and the positive attributes like the Cloisters and Fort Tryon Park are too far removed from the community. However, I personally think Ft. Tryon park is amazing, and could imagine Broadway between Dyckman and 190th, along the park being developed into a more pedestrian/shopper/dining type of strip, where people could come for the park and then get lunch/dinner, walk around and shop. However at the moment there is hardly a store in that area and just the one Italian place that recently opened up. I also think the Heights, would be a great area to develop lower cost hotels, like a hampton inn, especially around 168th street. I know that there was a hotel that is under construction in the area, but I am not sure when it would open, but given the transportation options with the 1 train and the A train, I think it could be a prime location. I would mention that while some people would not want the neighborhood to change, attracting people to the neighborhood brings business and job, which is sorely needed when you look at all the closed places along Broadway.
I hope Washington Heights stays the way it is. It's one of the few real neighborhoods remaining in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City