Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 03:46 AM

7 posts, read 18,960 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I’m 19 years old going into college in August. I currently live in Phoenix Arizona born and raised. I’m going to major in business/ or marketing and I’m wondering what kind of jobs would you need in order to raise a family on Staten Island? And Is my dream of moving there achievable. I have family whom live on the island that I visited for the first time May of 2016 and I love it there. I met my cousin whom is the same age as me and he his friends who went to school at Port Richmond, Wagner High School, Tottenvile, etc. I love NYC in general but SI too me seems like a place I can call my future home. I’m 19 and my dream is to move to NYC and buy a home at the age of 30-35 and raise a family there. Yes I know my dreams maybe change in years to come but, what kind of job would I need in order to maintain a family there, what are the expenses of everything? I hear driving is a pain because traffick I see taxes are too. Your probably thinking I’m crazy but just give me some tips on what I should major in and what should i do in order to complete my dream haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 08:49 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefffwilliams View Post
Hi guys I’m 19 years old going into college in August. I currently live in Phoenix Arizona born and raised. I’m going to major in business/ or marketing and I’m wondering what kind of jobs would you need in order to raise a family on Staten Island? And Is my dream of moving there achievable. I have family whom live on the island that I visited for the first time May of 2016 and I love it there. I met my cousin whom is the same age as me and he his friends who went to school at Port Richmond, Wagner High School, Tottenvile, etc. I love NYC in general but SI too me seems like a place I can call my future home. I’m 19 and my dream is to move to NYC and buy a home at the age of 30-35 and raise a family there. Yes I know my dreams maybe change in years to come but, what kind of job would I need in order to maintain a family there, what are the expenses of everything? I hear driving is a pain because traffick I see taxes are too. Your probably thinking I’m crazy but just give me some tips on what I should major in and what should i do in order to complete my dream haha
Am here to say the rock is cheaper than the other boroughs, but like everywhere else, becoming more expensive. Usually most households are dual incomes. Explains why Staten Island has the highest median income. More households with dual middle incomes is what you get.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:17 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Your dream is more attainable than those who want to live in "hip, trendy" parts of the city on the salary of an "artist" or if they are really lucky, a bar tender.

Get through school first and see where that takes you. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
You are smart to choose the less trendy of the boroughs. There are many neighborhoods and price ranges to choose from on SI.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:16 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefffwilliams View Post
Can you raise a family on Staten Island ?
no, only goats

Old 06-19-2017, 02:09 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
Yes if you make $100000 a year.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:02 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
You can but the better question is...Why would you?

I lived in NYC for 20 yrs, and let me tell you; SI isn't the forgotten borough for no reason.

You're much better off staying in PHX.

Better yet, move to nearby Tempe and get a place on Mill Ave. You can thank me later

Old 06-19-2017, 03:17 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You can but the better question is...Why would you?

I lived in NYC for 20 yrs, and let me tell you; SI isn't the forgotten borough for no reason.

You're much better off staying in PHX.

Better yet, move to nearby Tempe and get a place on Mill Ave. You can thank me later
Am thinking you came back to gloat about how much *BETTER* your life is since you left NYC. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:54 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I hate even working in other boros, much less would I ever consider living in one. My sister just bought a 2bdrm in Manhattan. I think she's nuts!!

Old 06-19-2017, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 18,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am here to say the rock is cheaper than the other boroughs, but like everywhere else, becoming more expensive. Usually most households are dual incomes. Explains why Staten Island has the highest median income. More households with dual middle incomes is what you get.
So do you really think it’s possible for me to love there years from now when I’m a graduate ? And what job would help me be successful there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City