Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 AM

993 posts, read 1,387,113 times

Advertisements

Does anyone work or live near a big Nursing Home, to describe how it impacts the immediate neighborhood - positively and negatively?

On my residential block, a huge vacant hospital will be converted into a skilled medical nursing home. Instead of an empty 6-story hulk occupying 25% of a city block, there will next be 200 residents, with very limited or no mobility. Serving them, going in and out daily, will be office/medical/custodial staff, plus family visitors.

I anticipate a few negatives, such as noise (ambulance sirens), parking, traffic. Not sure how much siren noise; we're told "less than a regular hospital." Also they're probably skimping with 30 staff parking spots by saying "most employees will subway to work" which I don't entirely buy. I assume it'll become much harder to find street parking.

But I'm wondering if there's also a positive impact. I'd love to see a small coffeeshop, diner, florist/gift shop etc. locating in this mostly residential working-class neighborhood. The building itself will offer some food-for-purchase for staff, visitors, and any "neighbors," but likely limited in scope. I'm hoping to see a glimmer of public economic activity generated onto nearby streets.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 05-07-2015 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 12:14 PM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
Oh the horrible sound of all that aging.

Gotta be better than what we all have: a Duane Reade, a Chase Bank, a McDonald's, a "Ray's" quasi-origingal pizza and a Starbucks.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:11 PM

443 posts, read 438,858 times
I live around the block from a nursing home and the only complaint I have is about parking. In all honesty, I'd have a problem with parking even if the home wasn't there - it's NYC. A lot of their employees do use the subway to commute there and back.

I can't recall a time I've heard ambulances or anything. Occasionally they'll be sitting outside the building in their wheelchairs but that's only been a handful of times from what I can remember.

We're really not bothered by it at all. And it's about the same size as the one you described.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:14 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,699,568 times
Good point about the shops. I don't know the answer, but I can tell you this: A while ago I stopped in a Taco Bell that happened to be across from a hospital, and to my surprise it was jammed with hospital staff, who apparently preferred it to their in-house cafeteria.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:46 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,093,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Does anyone work or live near a big Nursing Home, to describe how it impacts the immediate neighborhood - positively and negatively?

On my residential block, a huge vacant hospital will be converted into a skilled medical nursing home. Instead of an empty 6-story hulk occupying 25% of a city block, there will next be 200 residents, with very limited or no mobility. Serving them, going in and out daily, will be office/medical/custodial staff, plus family visitors.

I anticipate a few negatives, such as noise (ambulance sirens), parking, traffic. Not sure how much siren noise; we're told "less than a regular hospital." Also they're probably skimping with 30 staff parking spots by saying "most employees will subway to work" which I don't entirely buy. I assume it'll become much harder to find street parking.

But I'm wondering if there's also a positive impact. I'd love to see a small coffeeshop, diner, florist/gift shop etc. locating in this mostly residential working-class neighborhood. The building itself will offer some food-for-purchase for staff, visitors, and any "neighbors," but likely limited in scope. I'm hoping to see a glimmer of public economic activity generated onto nearby streets.
I live in Pelham Parkway,the land of senior citizens and nursing homes. There are at least 5 of them within a 5 block radius and a few dozen spread out over the neighborhood, though none of them are too big.In addition to the nursing homes there are also a number of senior assisted living apartment complexes and Boston Road Plaza, a 20 story NYCHA senior citizen complex.I think it's great. Very quiet and peaceful and having all the old folks around makes me feel young. Needless to say I think there are about 25 pharmacies in the neighborhood too.

Something must have happened back in 70's or 80's and the powers that be decided that Pelham Parkway was where all the seniors should go. I'll fit right in pretty soon.Maybe I already do.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-07-2015 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 04:16 PM

31,941 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Not as bas compared to living on the same street as a hospital, but still not ideal either.

Have a NH up the street from us and parking is always a problem on not just our street but for two or more each way. Many of the nurses, aides and other employees drive in from other parts of the City or NJ and thus have to park somewhere. This and or each change of shift brings the husbands or whomever double parking in a Conga line outside as they wait.

Ambulances? Yes, but not often, really only when someone is being admitted from or taken to hospital. The most quietest vehicle is when the coroner's van or a hearse takes arrives then takes someone away.

One thing is the constant truck traffic at night and sometimes during the day. Garbage, laundry, food, supplies, oxygen, etc... all rumble in and out of the service area/loading dock.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:26 PM

34,125 posts, read 47,349,444 times
My parents' house is near several nursing homes - one time on a Sunday morning back in the day I saw an old lady urinating against a tree, and sometimes they beg you for smokes. Overall a minor inconvenience.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-08-2015, 04:46 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,325,834 times
Much better than the city allowing it to be converted into a homeless shelter.

Growing up my grandmother lived next to a nursing home. It was a nonissue. Actually my cousin was able to get a job there.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:00 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,093,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Much better than the city allowing it to be converted into a homeless shelter.

Growing up my grandmother lived next to a nursing home. It was a nonissue. Actually my cousin was able to get a job there.
Ya,that's what happened over in Pelham Bay. A former hospital sat empty for a number of years and then got turned into a homeless shelter. The neighborhood went berserk but there was nothing they could do.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
I would think any effect would be minimal besides it maybe affecting parking etc in a low to mid density neighborhood. Every nursing home I've been around is quiet and barely noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City