Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:25 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
How small are you talking? I do not know anyone who gets money from their parents and I've lived here all of my life.

I'm just bitter lol. People seriously DO though. Obviously it shouldn't be any of my business, but when you see 22 year olds renting 4000 dollar apartments it makes you wonder.
Parents helping out is the norm (in various ways). Nothing wrong with that.
Anyone who claim's there are many who don't receive some type of help is a straight up idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 08:19 PM

593 posts, read 470,165 times
If you are paying market-rate rent and maxing out your 401k, the reality is that a 120k salary in NYC does not leave you with a lot of surplus income, especially if you have a student loan. Forget about saving up for a down payment on a condo or co-op or saving extra money for retirement.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:27 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Parents helping out is the norm (in various ways). Nothing wrong with that.
Anyone who claim's there are many who don't receive some type of help is a straight up idiot.
Parents helping their kids is not the norm. How are working class and poor families able to help their kids when they have to worry about paying their own bills and retirement? There are a lot more poor folk than wealthy. I have to help out my parents. They emigrated here with poor paying jobs and have little saved for retirement.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
If you are paying market-rate rent and maxing out your 401k, the reality is that a 120k salary in NYC does not leave you with a lot of surplus income, especially if you have a student loan. Forget about saving up for a down payment on a condo or co-op or saving extra money for retirement.
401k is for retirement...why would you max your 401k if you had problems living off of a $120k salary?

And if you can't live off of $120k, your spending and money management habits are poor. Most people won't make $120k a year in their lifetime. I always felt that there should have been a money management class in high school instead of all those other useless classes that were offered which you don't apply in real life.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:05 AM

562 posts, read 463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
401k is for retirement...why would you max your 401k if you had problems living off of a $120k salary?

And if you can't live off of $120k, your spending and money management habits are poor. Most people won't make $120k a year in their lifetime. I always felt that there should have been a money management class in high school instead of all those other useless classes that were offered which you don't apply in real life.
The point is a 120k/year salary is not really that much in NYC. Yes, you can make it work, but it will be difficult if you are single, with no dependents, and own no property. The bulk of your money will go to taxes. And, as many have already pointed out, more often than not, professionals have to worry about student loans too.

Also, not everyone is interested in living in queens, bronx or staten island, where it tends to be more affordable. Many single professionals prefer to reside in Brooklyn or Manhattan, close-in to their job and NYC nightlife and entertainment.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:07 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
It's all relative. When I first moved here I waited tables and we were paid cash nightly. We didn't claim tips, it was all handled by an accountant. So I was pocketing about $1000 per week and my paycheck, with taxes deducted was always nearly zero. The city has cracked down on that sort of thing in recent years, but there's still a lot of undeclared income out there in the service economy. In situations like that you're paying much less in taxes obviously. Taxes are a huge factor in this city.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
The point is a 120k/year salary is not really that much in NYC. Yes, you can make it work, but it will be difficult if you are single, with no dependents, and own no property. The bulk of your money will go to taxes. And, as many have already pointed out, more often than not, professionals have to worry about student loans too.

Also, not everyone is interested in living in queens, bronx or staten island, where it tends to be more affordable. Many single professionals prefer to reside in Brooklyn or Manhattan, close-in to their job and NYC nightlife and entertainment.
Those are life choices you make. There is a difference between a luxury and necessity. Livig in Manhattan and Brooklyn is not a necessity. You can make a million dollars and spend 2 million dollars for having a lavish lifestyle. Very few make anywhere near $120 k/year in their lifetimes , so this thread is a joke. I'm not going to pay for a new penthouse in Manhattan, own 2 cars, have 3-4 vacations a year, eat at 4/5 star restaurants weekly and cry broke making $120 a year. You live within your means. You can make a million a year and be broke from poor personal discretionary spending.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:35 AM

562 posts, read 463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Those are life choices you make. There is a difference between a luxury and necessity. Livig in Manhattan and Brooklyn is not a necessity. You can make a million dollars and spend 2 million dollars for having a lavish lifestyle. Very few make anywhere near $120 k/year in their lifetimes , so this thread is a joke. I'm not going to pay for a new penthouse in Manhattan, own 2 cars, have 3-4 vacations a year, eat at 4/5 star restaurants weekly and cry broke making $120 a year. You live within your means. You can make a million a year and be broke from poor personal discretionary spending.
LOL @ lavish lifestyle. Hardly.

Yes, you can choose to be extra frugal, But most single professionals making 120K do not want to live in a violent community w/ no real amenities.

The below apt. complex is far from lavish... but the average rent for a 1 bedroom is 3k+/month (and this is considered by many to be a good rental price for the area).

Brooklyn Apartments in Kings County, New York | Avalon Fort Greene

Old 05-27-2016, 07:39 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:

I would like to see a breakdown of your expenses. I think that a single person who is unable to live on a 120K salary has a serious money management problem.

I've lived in Manhattan all of my life (born here) and have never had a problem managing my money, and living well. The only time I suffered a bit was when I divorced my husband and had to deal with my legal bills from the divorce case, along with our credit card debt, which was left to my name. But after a three year divorce, I was able to get back on my feet very well and today, I am not making 120K, but live well. I frequently travel to California, Australia, have my savings and go out with friends.

Seriously - you guys can't live on 120k?? No wonder you millennials are called the, "entitlement generation"

Old 05-27-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
LOL @ lavish lifestyle. Hardly.

Yes, you can choose to be extra frugal, But most single professionals making 120K do not want to live in a violent community w/ no real amenities.

The below apt. complex is far from lavish... but the average rent for a 1 bedroom is 3k+/month (and this is considered by many to be a good rental price for the area).

Brooklyn Apartments in Kings County, New York | Avalon Fort Greene
There are very few violent nabes in NYC. Plenty of $1600-$2000 a month 1 bedrooms in nice areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City