Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 12:23 AM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAZZD View Post
I am absolutely willing to sacrifice night life. It would be nice, but it is not a huge want for me. I also wouldn't mind a one hour commute door to door but wouldn't want anything longer than that. Thank you for your response!
If you want to keep your vehicle, want a relatively safe area to live (for you and the car) and also are willing to forego any major night life then your housing options expand greatly.

You can consider areas of Westchester or New Jersey that offer a more "quiet" and so forth lifestyle but yet < one hour commute to Manhattan. You will also get more apartment for your money on average than in NYC, especially compared to Manhattan.

White Plains in Westchester County has commute time well under an hour to Mid-Town Manhattan (Grand Central Terminal). From there you join many and hop onto the subway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...-North_station)

You can find one bedroom apartments in parts of Westchester for <1500/month. You also will get out of paying NYC taxes.

Know a few persons and couples that have moved from Manhattan to Westchester (especially White Plains) recently. Most all for the same reasons; in terms of value for money it was felt deals were better up there. Again Metro-North makes for an easy and fast commute into Manhattan.

See: Westchester to NYC commute questions

http://www.lohud.com/story/money/201...Key=&autologin=

Last edited by BugsyPal; 08-01-2015 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 12:52 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAZZD View Post
I know there are tons of forums with people asking about moving to NYC with a car but I wanted to explain my situation a bit more so I can get the best/most realistic answer. I am a young working professional female who lives in North Carolina but is looking to relocate to the NYC area. I will be making 80K and working in downtown. I also really want to bring my car being that I just purchased it and will be paying on it for a while.

Basically, I am looking for a place where the commute is no longer than 40 mins door-to-door, where I can also bring my car and not worry about parking being insanely difficult/expensive, where it is safe, diverse and has some type of nightlife/things to do for younger professionals (nightlife is not a top priority, being that I am coming from the south I don't mind a quiet/suburban area but it would be nice if some type of bars/nightlife to be around)

I do want to be in either Manhattan, Queens, or Brooklyn, possibly the Bronx, or Jersey City/Hoboken. Last but not least, I do not want pay more than $2000 a month in rent and utilities combined for a one bedroom. Suggestions please?!

Try Astoria, Long Island City or Bay Side. If you are are OK with the Bronx - Throgs Neck might be worth a look.

In Brooklyn - Greenpoint or Sheepshead Bay. Both really safe.

Not sure about the East Village in NY - parts of Alphabet City are still inexpensive.

Welcome to NY!

Old 08-01-2015, 02:03 AM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
If you are really insistent about the car, I'd stay out of the city all together. Unless you can get a break with some type of designated parking spot, it's not fun dealing with finding parking on the streets of most of Brooklyn or Queens. It's extra hard during a snowy winter, where you have to dig your car out and have the snow plows block your car in. Many people will schedule their lives around when street parking will be available, such as making sure that they are back by a certain time on Sundays so that they can get a spot. Also I would never park a fairly new car regularly on the street. Budget for extra repairs, replacing your side mirrors, and break-ins.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:37 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL1534 View Post
A professional that makes 80k in NYC? I quibble. Yes, I quibble with the term "professional" being thrown about by run of the mill white collar types. I mean no disrespect to these types, but a professional, that is one in one of the "professions" is by definition someone trained to do a certain job, usually requiring formal qualifications and/or licensing. Lawyers, doctors, CPAs, and actuaries for example---exclusive of those who may assist the former, qualification and licensing not to the contrary.

Perhaps we do have ourselves here a gen-u-wine profeshional, though. Given the wants, and the salary reported, though, this one will be weeping in her chardonnay before long. I don't wish it upon her, but it's not up to me.

I am in a profession that requires licensing after passing an examination and an extensive amount of coursework. For my license, you are required to have a BS---you cannot even get the equivalent of an ASN like nursing has for the same licensure. And I assure you that I do not even make close to 80K. But we are an underpaid bunch and I don't expect to stay in this profession forever.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
In Ridgewood Queens you'll be approx 40-50 mins away, can have a car, should be able to find something within budget, and have a growing option of nightlife nearby (also close to Bushwick and Williamsburg to take advantage of nightlife options they have to offer).
I think Glendale in Southern Queens might be doable including available street parking. Glendale is a nicer neighborhood than the nearby Ridgewood in my opinion.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:43 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think Glendale in Southern Queens might be doable including available street parking. Glendale is a nicer neighborhood than the nearby Ridgewood in my opinion.
Glendale works too and typically is the nicer of the areas, although Ridgewood is improving rapidly. Glendale is kind of an offshoot of Ridgewood, so you end up having to go to Ridgewood for amenities. Plus the commute from Glendale would be a little longer as you'd usually have to take the bus to either Myrtle-Wyckoff, Halsey st, or Jamaica ave depending on where in Glendale you live. Other possible areas with slightly longer commute times would be the Maspeth (would have to take bus to Williamsburg), Middle Village (by the Metropolitan ave M train stop), or Woodhaven.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:29 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
In Ridgewood Queens you'll be approx 40-50 mins away, can have a car, should be able to find something within budget, and have a growing option of nightlife nearby (also close to Bushwick and Williamsburg to take advantage of nightlife options they have to offer).
I always heard that Ridgewood had very tough street parking and that even getting a garage or driveway is difficult. Is this not true?

Old 08-01-2015, 11:35 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Glendale works too and typically is the nicer of the areas, although Ridgewood is improving rapidly. Glendale is kind of an offshoot of Ridgewood, so you end up having to go to Ridgewood for amenities. Plus the commute from Glendale would be a little longer as you'd usually have to take the bus to either Myrtle-Wyckoff, Halsey st, or Jamaica ave depending on where in Glendale you live. Other possible areas with slightly longer commute times would be the Maspeth (would have to take bus to Williamsburg), Middle Village (by the Metropolitan ave M train stop), or Woodhaven.
If one lives/is near the Fresh Pond Road subway stop (in Glendale), the commute to Downtown Manhattan is relatively simple during weekday rush hours. In this area there are all the basic amenities (a couple of supermarkets, a few restaurants, groceries, etc.).

Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 AM

457 posts, read 737,243 times
@OP - 80K is around 2,000 to 2,100 after taxes every 2 weeks depending on 401K contribution and transit spending account.

Nobody drives in Manhattan because there isn't space and forget the prices being charged for parking. For an easy commute since you work downtown, you'll have to live in Brooklyn. But a lot of places in Brooklyn 1 stop away from downtown Manhattan is very expensive. Have you considered Jersey City? You can find a reasonable 1 bedroom for around 1,100 and most likely the place will offer a parking spot. Certain parts of Jersey City are just 15 to 20 mins from downtown Manhattan.

The best advice I can give you is to spend as little on rent as possible.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
If you are are OK with the Bronx - Throgs Neck might be worth a look.
Definitely would not recommend Throggs Neck to a transplant. Commute times are very long, especially to Financial District (think 2 hours each way). Rent is expensive for how far you are, and the neighborhood isn't, let's say, welcoming to outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City