Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:37 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
He can already civilly sue the person he paid. In turn, the landlord should sue both of them for improperly using his property. .
Not sure, as we do not know if the lease allowed subletting. If it did, landlord only has a claim versus the original tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 10:48 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
He's owed nothing in regards to staying in the apartment he never should have occupied to begin with.
Legally speaking - not true.

This has protected people in some situations and it has created disasters in others.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:08 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
May sound odd coming from *Moi* but stop lumping all homeless into one huge group.

There are persons who are working and otherwise contributing members of society that are "homeless" simply for no other reason than the cost of housing in NYC. Years ago such men and women had rooming/boarding houses and so forth, but those options have dwindled.

In fact am willing to bet besides those with trust funds or similar sources of income the only people living in a NYC apartment on <55k per year are those who are long term RC or RS renters. This excludes obviously those on various social service programs including "affordable" housing schemes.

Artists, musicians, bartenders, office workers... the list goes on and on of persons who are working but cannot afford the sky high rents of NYC.
I agree 100% it's reality this can happen to any one. Mental illness can also happen to any one. At one time in life that
mentally ill person might have been a Teacher, Doctor, Judge, Lawyer, ect. This happens stress can contribute to mental
illness. Is also the number one killer. Millions of people today suffers from stress and they don't even know it..😧.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Immigrants, recent graduates, college students, and low income earners all live in rooms they rent from someone else. This is a huge portion of the city.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:24 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
That's an awful story but, no offense, I'm assuming you were working, with an income, if you were paying rent, so can't you find another place?

I've known a few people who rented rooms, very happily.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
That's an awful story but, no offense, I'm assuming you were working, with an income, if you were paying rent, so can't you find another place?

I've known a few people who rented rooms, very happily.
Maybe he was just barely able to pay rent? To move a new place you need a deposit and one months rent. Or maybe he has a cash job? People who work off the books have a much harder time finding places due to inability to prove income.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:57 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If he was paying to sublet, he properly wants what he paid for, and he should be entitled to legal protections in the matter. Not from the landlord, but from the lessee who collected the money from the OP.
I know her real name. Not where she lives, though. I'd hate to meet her in person because she would likely start screaming and might try to hit me. I'd either have to get beat up or go to jail for beating her up. As for suing her, she likely doesn't have any money.

I was just so comfortable there. Some of this is my fault for trusting this unstable person.

I'm going to see about going after the landlord, for not posting the three day notice.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree with this post, However in some cases (Not referring to the OP specifically) past credit issues, not having enough income for the 40 X rule can make renting difficult. Going through private landlords can be good for those with the previous concerns. The problem is the low vacancy rates. Places from Manhattan to outer boroughs are filling up fast apartments go quickly. The OP needed a place to live and sounds like he got a bad deal.

OP, Where are you currently? What are your plans thus far. Wishing you all the best and a fast resolution to this. Hang in there!
I'm in a homeless shelter. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

I lost everything. I've put together a reasonable interview suit, except for the damn shoes. I'm not without skills - unlike some of the poor fellas I see in there. What are they going to do but commit crimes?

Old 08-02-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Maybe he was just barely able to pay rent? To move a new place you need a deposit and one months rent. Or maybe he has a cash job? People who work off the books have a much harder time finding places due to inability to prove income.
The homelessness caused me to lose my job. I did not have enough to make the nut for first and last plus deposit. If I hadn't been locked out I might have bailed to the shelter, with my work clothes, and been back on my feet rather quickly.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Starbucks and chipolte have to actively police who uses their bathrooms bc homeless people turn it to hell. No matter what monitoring process you suggest, the liberalism of nyc will turn it into a filthy, dangerous, drug infested hole in no time. Also, would you volunteer to put on one your block? Or on the way to your child's walk to school? We need less liberal policies encouraging the nations drugged and mentally ill from coming here, not more.
It would be nice if you learned how to write proper English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City