Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 02:15 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times

Advertisements

What is their problem? We are tourists and we have tried to adapt to the ways of this city, we know that people are in a rush so we move out of the way.

However, in stores where there isn't actually any rush we have experienced some of the rudest people in existence. We have yet to complain because we are foreign and can't be bothered with the hassle.

In saying that we are both at the end of our tether. Just today we had to shopping in Macy's Herald sqaure before we go. Most workers were fine but there was one black girl in particular who acted like a total rat, first thing she did was look down her nose at us when we asked for the discount card, after that she kept talking over us and then proceeded to shout at us when we were buying the item.

Next Mcdonald's the girl kept shouting and then when we asked about milk she snapped "well you never asked dear".. Well some McDonalds have milk behind the counter so thats why we didn't ask. She didn't need to be a rat about it.

Before Macy's we experienced further rudeness at the WTC site when asking for directions to the observatory.. This cow couldn't hack us asking for directions.. Obviously expecting us to know where to go.

I am really tired of rude customer service agents. You would think that they would at least try to do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 03:05 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Maybe your user name sickandtiredofthis attracts rude service, if that's what you project when dealing with workers.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:15 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Maybe your user name sickandtiredofthis attracts rude service, if that's what you project when dealing with workers.
+1.

Also look at the places you went to. NYC isn't know for customer service. However I alway greet cashiers/employees and speak kindly.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:19 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
What is their problem? We are tourists and we have tried to adapt to the ways of this city, we know that people are in a rush so we move out of the way.

However, in stores where there isn't actually any rush we have experienced some of the rudest people in existence. We have yet to complain because we are foreign and can't be bothered with the hassle.

In saying that we are both at the end of our tether. Just today we had to shopping in Macy's Herald sqaure before we go. Most workers were fine but there was one black girl in particular who acted like a total rat, first thing she did was look down her nose at us when we asked for the discount card, after that she kept talking over us and then proceeded to shout at us when we were buying the item.

Next Mcdonald's the girl kept shouting and then when we asked about milk she snapped "well you never asked dear".. Well some McDonalds have milk behind the counter so thats why we didn't ask. She didn't need to be a rat about it.

Before Macy's we experienced further rudeness at the WTC site when asking for directions to the observatory.. This cow couldn't hack us asking for directions.. Obviously expecting us to know where to go.

I am really tired of rude customer service agents. You would think that they would at least try to do their job.
Generally most people you deal with in CS here are low low low on the totem poll. The pay can't sustain any quality of life so they get bottom of the barrel people. Complain to corporate though, not here.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
+1.

Also look at the places you went to. NYC isn't know for customer service. However I alway greet cashiers/employees and speak kindly.
Don't get me wrong, some people have been really nice but most are quick and grumpy , many act like we customers are a nuisance which has put my off spending in a few stores.

Last edited by Sickandtiredofthis; 08-08-2015 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: The

Old 08-08-2015, 04:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Don't get me wrong, some people have been really nice but most of them are quick and grumpy
Just focus on the nice ones then. I agree with you that there are some real horrors out there when it comes to customer service in NYC. I'm not sure why this differs from other areas of the country (or if it does). But one theory I have is that the minimum wage pay they are getting here is not even close to a live-able wage, while in other places it either is a liveable wage or comes a little closer to that.

Not that it's really any excuse for the rudeness, but just trying to think of a reason.

The cashiers at Whole Foods are generally kind and competent. As far as I know the part-timers get $10/hr and others are making around $15. I also think they receive benefits and perks, and as far as retail goes, it's a coveted job. So if they do not behave as they were trained to, they probably get fired.

At all the other places, it's most likely just a revolving door of really low-end workers.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:02 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
UMMM, it's a dirty city crammed full of way too may people......don't expect touchy-feely.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:29 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
If someone is a customer how can they be a worker at the same time?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:07 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
The problem is affirmative action and unions.

A lot of people don't deserve the job they have. Companies like to pay low wages so they hire trash.....and you wonder why people want to hire illegals over americans....

Old 08-08-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
The problem is affirmative action and unions.

A lot of people don't deserve the job they have. Companies like to pay low wages so they hire trash.....and you wonder why people want to hire illegals over americans....
I can't get over the behavior of some of the workers. They literally act like we are beneath them as if they are being nice to us by speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: