Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 PM

18 posts, read 54,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Actually the CUNY's are on an upswing. The last ten years or so. Baruch, City, Hunter, Brooklyn, Queens, and John Jay, have all improved their reputations.

Outside of Rutgers, and Princeton of course, the 4 year CUNY'S are all considered better schools than the schools in Jersey.

However to be honest, I don't think any of them are known for their comp sci program.

Rutgers can give you a high quality education in a lot of subject areas, and it will be cheap for you since you will be in-state.
For undergraduate degrees, it would be Princeton, Stevens Institute of Technology and then Rutgers in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 25,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelylizzie View Post
I applied to Baruch, Hunter, Brooklyn, and Manhattan CC(last resort choice) and I think I was rejected by all. I still haven't gotten a letter and when I called the admissions hotline it said I was not accepted into my original choices. I'm out-of-state but I have a 3.0 GPA. Anyone know what's up?

Same happened to me. But I put down Baruch as my only choice. Hotline said original choice was not accepted. I am still waiting for the letter. I have a 4.0 GPA!

Old 04-25-2009, 01:11 PM

40 posts, read 187,856 times
I'm in the same boat. I haven't gotten any letter yet, but I looked up my application and I was accepted into a CUNY I didn't apply to. I'm assuming that means the other ones rejected me.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:29 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Wow 4.0 and most people still think that CUNY's accept anyone.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM

46 posts, read 230,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Wow 4.0 and most people still think that CUNY's accept anyone.
I applied to Baruch(1) and Hunter(2). I just found out that I didn't get accepted to Baruch, but got accepted to Hunter. I am a business student transfer so I kind of need to end up at Baruch at some point. Until then I can just do Economics stuff at Hunter. Does anyone happen to know if it is easier to transfer into these schools once you are actually a CUNY student? I have a really good academic record (test scores, GPA, etc).

Thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 03:58 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanatlarge View Post
I applied to Baruch(1) and Hunter(2). I just found out that I didn't get accepted to Baruch, but got accepted to Hunter. I am a business student transfer so I kind of need to end up at Baruch at some point. Until then I can just do Economics stuff at Hunter. Does anyone happen to know if it is easier to transfer into these schools once you are actually a CUNY student? I have a really good academic record (test scores, GPA, etc).

Thanks
Only easier in terms of administration.. You can use the e-permit and take courses in Baruch if you want, or you could just go there for grad school.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 PM

14 posts, read 94,902 times
cuny schools, are a combination of many different schools, some are community colleges, some are universities, and even some are very difficult to get into. I suggest that you research which schools offer the program that you are interested in, look at the SAT scores of recently admitted students, and look at the % of applicants who are actually accepted. personally I would recommend, either Hunter or Baruch. They are about as close to top notch university as you could get in the CUNY system. Hunter is very hard to get into (about 1/3 of all applicants are accepted.) Baruch is more for Business Majors, and Hunter offers are very well rounded education, but very stringent Basic education requirements. Basically put, if you get an A+ at a community college, then that would be like a B in Hunter. It's rigorous coursework. If you want something that's going to look good on your resume, then Hunter or Baruch.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
My theory for rejections for Baruch: combo of.......

1. Business school's 'Best bang for buck rep'

2. Bad economy, driving up demands for more public school apps (quality ones) and declines in private school apps.

Now, this is just a theory. Like I said, with a bad economy, people are going public, and CUNY is gonna be VERY ATTRACTIVE, especially the top CUNY schools. CUNY's "bad rep" is going to be seriously reconsidered!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:19 PM

29 posts, read 239,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
I was wondering if New Yorkers thought the CUNY's were reputable. Would you say a freshman out of state person coming to a CUNY would be disappointed? I'm from NJ and the thought of going to school in the city seems like it would be a lot of fun and a great experience. Which CUNY school do you all think is best?

My husband attended college in the CUNY system and graduated from Hunter. CUNY is great and not a million dollars. It really does not matter that much. People are having hard times finding jobs who went to expensive schools, who has good paying jobs and lost them, and so on.

All in all it does not matter unless you really are fixated on trying to be a big head honcho hotshot and have the personality for that. If you want to try to be some bigwig for some huge company then, it might matter.

But even more so, an MBA is more important. From the way my husband has things going for him, there isn't any issue and there hasn't ever been an issue with him attending CUNY.

I say go for it. Don't be an idiot paying back loans for 30 years. Keep more of your money!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 14,953 times
There isn't open enrollment any of the 4-year CUNY campuses (maybe the community colleges?). Princeton Review rates Brooklyn College as the best bang for your buck in the entire US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City