Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Every Street near MSK is safe, and desirable and expensive.

I would try airbnb.com.
Relatives got a lovely room at 68th and York for $49/night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 07:46 AM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inundateme View Post
Thanks.... I wish they could find an affordable apartment there...
What do they consider affordable, just for the apt???

I will check with my buddy at E 62nd & 2nd to see if anything might be available in his bldg?

I would also check airbnb, especially if they might consider a room, as opposed to an entire apt.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:53 AM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

I would try airbnb.com.
For an entire apt, or for a room? In either case, that's a great deal IMHO.

And then there's the car, the real fly in the ointment. We were paying $31 for an average of 8 hrs a day, when a relative was in another hospital for a month in Washington Heights in May/June. But this was valet parking. LOL

Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
Hospital rates are the worst!

Look up a phone app called Best Parking for NYC. From the map, compare longer-term rates at parking lots all over the city, for wherever you land.

Some are open-air, others are garages. You have to work hard to reach someone by phone to see if they have openings or are filled up with their regular customers.

If you crunch the math hard, you might decide it's better to come without any car. Use public transpo (subway and bus) with some taxis for late-night/all-night episodes. How necessary is it for your sister to drive here, do you think? Plenty of people fly/train/interstate bus into NYC, then use public transpo and cabs. All run 24/7.

The cost of Manhattan parking (neighborhood plus hospital area..) and stress of driving back and forth in traffic, is a lot. Sometimes for extended trips, people pay to park in a garage somewhere in a far suburb one time, take a commuter train in to Manhattan, and just fetch the car when it's time to drive back to their real home.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:48 PM

17 posts, read 14,950 times
I agree. Everything is expensive there... we are confused. Rental is very expensive..

They have their car... believe it or not It will save some money.. the patient could have a city ride by car to cheer up a little bit...

Thank you.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

I would try airbnb.com.
Checked it and found good posting... most of them do not offer a garage parking and other garage parking facilities are $$$....

Old 09-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
What do they consider affordable, just for the apt???

I will check with my buddy at E 62nd & 2nd to see if anything might be available in his bldg?

I would also check airbnb, especially if they might consider a room, as opposed to an entire apt.

Wish your buddy could help.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:20 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
Why exactly are you bringing a car? Do you expect to drive around Manhattan to do basic errands? Do you realize how difficult that is due to how limited and/or expensive parking is in Manhattan? It's much much easier to walk and take the subway. There are convenience stores selling basic goods a few blocks away from almost anywhere on the island. Even if you can't walk a few blocks, it's much easier and cheaper to hop in a cab than it is to find and pay for parking.
If he wants a car ride through the city to cheer him up, it would be far cheaper to hop in a cab compared to even one day of parking in Manhattan.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Why exactly are you bringing a car? Do you expect to drive around Manhattan to do basic errands? Do you realize how difficult that is due to how limited and/or expensive parking is in Manhattan? It's much much easier to walk and take the subway. There are convenience stores selling basic goods a few blocks away from almost anywhere on the island. Even if you can't walk a few blocks, it's much easier and cheaper to hop in a cab than it is to find and pay for parking.
If he wants a car ride through the city to cheer him up, it would be far cheaper to hop in a cab compared to even one day of parking in Manhattan.

Car is very important according to them...

Old 09-10-2015, 01:44 AM

A friend of mine proposed they rent in New Jersey... is it possible? what's the nearest ever city from that state to Manhattan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City