Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM

17 posts, read 14,940 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In a nutshell, my brother is going to visit his brother in law who is an inpatient in Memorial Sloan Kettering with my sister.

They are going to rent an apt for at least three months to stay close to MSK .

They started surfing searching for apt and they ( neither do I ) have any idea about safest streets there.

The hospital is in upper east side. Any suggestions?

At least help by telling us the MUST STAY AWAY streets numbers and areas. They are going to use their own car and my sister is driving often.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 03:44 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
that is the wealthy upper east side of Manhattan youd have no problems at all

Old 09-08-2015, 04:38 PM

372 posts, read 398,331 times
Quote:
At least help by telling us the MUST STAY AWAY streets numbers and areas.
Avoid Times Square. You might get propositioned by a prostitute in a Minnie Mouse costume wanting to snort a line of cocaine with you before she asks you to help break her drug dealing husband out of Rikers Island.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inundateme View Post
Hello,

In a nutshell, my brother is going to visit his brother in law who is an inpatient in Memorial Sloan Kettering with my sister.

They are going to rent an apt for at least three months to stay close to MSK .

They started surfing searching for apt and they ( neither do I ) have any idea about safest streets there.

The hospital is in upper east side. Any suggestions?

At least help by telling us the MUST STAY AWAY streets numbers and areas. They are going to use their own car and my sister is driving often.

Thanks in advance.
The Upper East Side is a safe and affluent area. I would imagine the more important question is can they afford the rent prices in that area? It will be extremely expensive, especially for a short-term rental. The other question is do they have the additional funds to pay for parking the car, both near the rental and at the hospital?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
I assume OP is aware of how the avenues make a grid, easy to follow.
Aves run north-south; Streets run east-west.

Your hospital is at First Ave around E 65th Street, in the Upper East Side (UES), nice area.

UES is fine but East Harlem, the next neighborhood north, is very rough for newcomers to the city.

Can anyone here name a border street between the two neighborhoods?

I *think* maybe the borderline at First Avenue is around E 96th or so?? If others can name that border street, more or less, OP'd want to keep south (smaller number streets) of that border.

What a stressful trip. Good luck with all the medical concerns.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 09-08-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
that is the wealthy upper east side of Manhattan youd have no problems at all

Thanks. I understand now why rentals are so expensive there.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The Upper East Side is a safe and affluent area. I would imagine the more important question is can they afford the rent prices in that area? It will be extremely expensive, especially for a short-term rental. The other question is do they have the additional funds to pay for parking the car, both near the rental and at the hospital?

Thanks.... I wish they could find an affordable apartment there...

Old 09-09-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
I assume OP is aware of how the avenues make a grid, easy to follow.
Aves run north-south; Streets run east-west.

Your hospital is at First Ave around E 65th Street, in the Upper East Side (UES), nice area.

UES is fine but East Harlem, the next neighborhood north, is very rough for newcomers to the city.

Can anyone here name a border street between the two neighborhoods?

I *think* maybe the borderline at First Avenue is around E 96th or so?? If others can name that border street, more or less, OP'd want to keep south (smaller number streets) of that border.

What a stressful trip. Good luck with all the medical concerns.

Such a stressful trip it is going to be indeed.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:42 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Have they tried contacting the hospital for help? I found this link:

https://www.mskcc.org/locations/visi...accommodations

I imagine it will still be expensive, but it's worth checking out.

Also, my sister in law used to attend a Unitarian Church in Murray Hill that rents out guest quarters of various sizes. They're located in walk-up buildings near the church. They're not super luxury, but they're cozy and I think would serve the purpose well and be much cheaper than uptown options. Plus, most of the units have their own kitchen (which would save money on food) and private bath. The Murray Hill area of Manhattan is very safe and would be convenient to Sloan Kettering in that they're both on the East Side. It's not really walkable, but would be an easy bus or cab ride. I'm sure your brother could ask about rates for a long-term stay, and since he's dealing with a church, maybe they would be compassionate and help him out, given why he needs the space.

Here's the link to that:

Manhattan Guest House: Guest House off Park Inn Info

Click on Rooms & Rates on the left to see photos.

Best of luck to your brother and his family! I hope treatment goes well.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 09-09-2015 at 05:00 AM..

Old 09-09-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Have they tried contacting the hospital for help? I found this link:

https://www.mskcc.org/locations/visi...accommodations

I imagine it will still be expensive, but it's worth checking out.

Also, my sister in law used to attend a Unitarian Church in Murray Hill that rents out guest quarters of various sizes. They're located in walk-up buildings near the church. They're not super luxury, but they're cozy and I think would serve the purpose well and be much cheaper than uptown options. Plus, most of the units have their own kitchen (which would save money on food) and private bath. The Murray Hill area of Manhattan is very safe and would be convenient to Sloan Kettering in that they're both on the East Side. It's not really walkable, but would be an easy bus or cab ride. I'm sure your brother could ask about rates for a long-term stay, and since he's dealing with a church, maybe they would be compassionate and help him out, given why he needs the space.

Here's the link to that:

Manhattan Guest House: Guest House off Park Inn Info

Click on Rooms & Rates on the left to see photos.

Best of luck to your brother and his family! I hope treatment goes well.
Thank you for your warm feelings. The listed sites helped me.

I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City