Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,422 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm 20 years old and my mom filed an application for an apartment. Truth be told, I don't know when she did this. I barely know anything about it. I don't even know the correct term to use here. She speaks Spanish and I don't think she understands what she's doing (On the paper it says all adult household members must be present - my sister is in college upstate but is technically a household member and she was just going to give them a letter stating she was away. I think the "no exceptions" on the paper in bold is pretty self explanatory....).

Anyways it says we have "been selected for further processing" and gives us an interview date... This Tuesday.

Is this pretty much a done deal then? I mean they wouldn't give just _anybody_ an interview. It's too many people. I feel like it's just to see you're not a criminal or something.

--------------

However on this paper it says "it does not guarantee you will be offered an apartment"... of course because it's an interview. They are looking for things they don't like, but I think it's a pretty much done deal.

but!

It says "you must meet certain eligibility requirements"

I don't know if my mom meets these. She's disabled and I saw the # my dad makes on our income taxes and it's slightly below... but that income is supposed to be combined. We would make more if my mom weren't disabled. We would even slightly exceed then I guess.

However I don't know I mean we're paying right now 1300 a month and the rent for these apartments is supposed to be slightly lower so.... I don't think that's a big issue right?

What do you guys think? I hope my mom gets this :/

EDIT: Not sure if I was clear about this but BOTH my sister & I are in college. I just transferred back home. She's upstate.

Last edited by Richard123x; 09-19-2015 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 07:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Research the specific development.

They obtain income information from tax returns for verification purposes and figure from that, if you are even a few dollars over or under you will be disqualified.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:01 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
If your sister is in college it may disqualify your family if its an 80/20 building.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Full-time students are allowed, if part of the family. If there is only one person in the household, and that person is a full-time student, he or she would be disqualified. The program is for working people, not students.

The interview is kind of a misnomer, as I understand it. You gather up all the papers and documentation required, then you sit down with a leasing rep and hand them in. If anything further is necessary, you will be told at that time. A credit check and background check will be done to see if there has been any credit or crime problems.

The income from all four of you will be added up. You'll need to provide tax forms, bank statements, pay stubs, etc., for all. Do you have a list of what your mother needs to bring?

Old 09-19-2015, 09:35 PM

Yeah not sure if I was clear but my dad works, my mom is disabled. I'm in college in the city. My sister is upstate for college. The apartment is for my parents. We live in it until we graduate.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:43 PM

The fact that you and your sister are full-time students is not a problem at all. If you wanted an apartment of your own, that would not be allowed until you finish school or decide to go to school part time.

Do you and your sister earn any money from part-time jobs? That will also enter into the equation. Does your mother get Social Security? I believe that is added in also.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The fact that you and your sister are full-time students is not a problem at all. If you wanted an apartment of your own, that would not be allowed until you finish school or decide to go to school part time.

Do you and your sister earn any money from part-time jobs? That will also enter into the equation. Does your mother get Social Security? I believe that is added in also.
https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...entPdf/147.pdf
That's the place.

And no I know the fact my sister and I are full time students is not a problem.

My sister has a part time, I don't. It's just my mom knows her combined income with my dad is simply not enough. But she's saying something about how she's disabled and maybe that plays into the equation. I personally don't think it does.... I mean they would be able to pay the rent they just don't reach the minimum even with my sister's part time.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:09 PM

When all is said and done, their income must fall within the income bracket for that size apartment. There are a couple of ways to calculate income, though, so you'll have to wait and see.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:18 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Your families income has to fall within the required minimum and maximum in the guidelines. If your sisters part time is through a gov't sponsored work study program, its not considered as part of your family income. A family member being in college doesn't disqualify your family from affordable housing. They know that you have to come home during breaks and the summer.

Your sister should make it to the interview if all family members are required to be there. It could delay things or keep you on the waiting list. If the rent is lower than your current rent, this will help your family. They ask to see everyone so that they can try to keep trouble makers out. People don't take family members that appear to be such, to these types of interviews. A letter usually will not suffice.

Your mom probably completed an application that was in Spanish, so she probably knew what she was doing, and the fact that your family was selected shows that she did an excellent job.

Just make sure that your family has all the documents that they ask for in the letter. If your family needs to bring in more information, your sister won't need to come back in for that, even if the information is required from her.

No matter what relax and make sure everyone goes to the interview, that is the most important thing. Deal with any complications if and when they happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City