Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 06:52 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water_Nintendo64 View Post
Hmm, as I mentioned back earlier last year being on the opposite end of the spectrum of avenues will be a tough sell -- more of an investment on a future idea. The thing is, sooner or later places like the VIA will be considered a norm. It could be in 10, 100 or even 1,000 years from now -- but you know what they said in the past: the Internet will equate to nothing. And the VIA is here in the now of today, so they need to make money and hopefully they can pioneer that artistic future in-between if society is willing to embrace it this early. People will find humor of it, but who doesn't the spirit to pioneer a new future?

You do bring up an important point in regards to venue(school locations, etc.). To me the market rate rent is a lot of money, so one would think that the tenants would want the best bang for their buck, and accessibility to the best facilities nearby.

Secondly, the whole reduced rent tactic for new tenants won't work either, because current ones will want to bargain, so it is time to think outside the box. Maybe landlords need to do new things, such as manually find targeted tenants that will be willing to move in with a family and pay the full market rate? Find families or at least the eldest son/daughter that is in love with wanting to live in New york City? I could dive deeper into the water ,but you get the gist of it.

Lastly, security and family safety. People know how to use google. If it looks safe then that's a step in the right direction. They also want peaceful neighbors. The people next door to where I currently live let out their kids everyday in the hallway. That's how safe my floor is. I know the VIA is supposed to encompass a 709 family friendly environment, so the problem isn't failure, it is trying to find the large numbers of families out there whom are willing to move in right now and pay market rent. As far as the VIA is concerned, it might be best to look for families in other countries that might want to permanently want to live in Manhattan. I'm pretty sure there are a bunch out there, and doing so might not be cost-effective, but the extra apartments are sitting there not collecting rent, so let's hope for the best.

Thanks for the article read, btw; it was nourishing. They are indeed in quandary, but 709 units (not counting the studios) isn't that big of a number compared to the population of this planet, so somewhere out there is a prospective family that might want to hop on the Manhattan band wagon.

I just hope everyone here gets to move in soon, because I think creating a positive image/brand is the first step forward.

Really has nothing to do with creating a "positive" brand or whatever; rather just pure and simple market forces including economics.

Every single one of these new luxury to upper end apartment or condo buildings has a "brand" and or is trying to create an image. You cannot get away from online and print adverts for them; however the problem they are all facing is those who can afford to pay such rents or prices have options.

No offense meant but you don't see market rate apartment/housing hunters on these boards obsessing about log numbers, pestering building workers about who has moved in or when, and so forth. These people *know* who they are and have the goods to back it up.

Increasingly you are seeing a rush out to the suburbs which makes economic sense for many households, especially with families.

You can find a home in better parts of New Jersey, Westchester, Connecticut or Long Island with great schools, and easy access to NYC that will cost less than renting. Even more so when you factor in the tax advantages of owning versus renting. As for all those new condos, word is getting out; many except at the highest end aren't what they are cracked up to be. Construction is sketchy, ditto for quality of workmanship/fixtures, and most importantly often they are located in areas where the amities families want and need just aren't there yet. That and on a square foot basis some of these new buildings fall rather short; that is the apartments are small for what you are paying.

Via 57 like nearly every other such building has adverts all over the place targeted towards market rate household. They are offering brokers money IIRC to find people.

On the other end you are finding developments that market rate tenants are likely to shun in droves. Such as this: http://ny.curbed.com/2017/4/18/15341...ttery#comments

No one is going to pay big money to live right next to the Queensboro Bridge off ramp; which is why the parcel of land got passed along and finally landed with a developer who is building "affordable" housing. Presumably that side of the market won't be so picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 PM

99 posts, read 168,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Really has nothing to do with creating a "positive" brand or whatever; rather just pure and simple market forces including economics.

Every single one of these new luxury to upper end apartment or condo buildings has a "brand" and or is trying to create an image. You cannot get away from online and print adverts for them; however the problem they are all facing is those who can afford to pay such rents or prices have options.

No offense meant but you don't see market rate apartment/housing hunters on these boards obsessing about log numbers, pestering building workers about who has moved in or when, and so forth. These people *know* who they are and have the goods to back it up.

Increasingly you are seeing a rush out to the suburbs which makes economic sense for many households, especially with families.

You can find a home in better parts of New Jersey, Westchester, Connecticut or Long Island with great schools, and easy access to NYC that will cost less than renting. Even more so when you factor in the tax advantages of owning versus renting. As for all those new condos, word is getting out; many except at the highest end aren't what they are cracked up to be. Construction is sketchy, ditto for quality of workmanship/fixtures, and most importantly often they are located in areas where the amities families want and need just aren't there yet. That and on a square foot basis some of these new buildings fall rather short; that is the apartments are small for what you are paying.

Via 57 like nearly every other such building has adverts all over the place targeted towards market rate household. They are offering brokers money IIRC to find people.

On the other end you are finding developments that market rate tenants are likely to shun in droves. Such as this: http://ny.curbed.com/2017/4/18/15341...ttery#comments

No one is going to pay big money to live right next to the Queensboro Bridge off ramp; which is why the parcel of land got passed along and finally landed with a developer who is building "affordable" housing. Presumably that side of the market won't be so picky.
Cost per square foot is a big deal. Bigger is better. But in Manhattan these days, smaller is normal. And no offense taken. We genuinely take the log # stuff seriously because we're non-market rate ppl for various reasons, depending on the individual's circumstances, living conditions. I guess you can call it a case-by-case basis, etc thing. And here is where I deviate from the defensive posture to agree with you. There are some loggers here who pester building workers and so forth to know who is moving in, etc. I personally find that annoying. On my end i've only given theories and thoughts as to what's going on, but some ppl actually physically go and figure out what's going on, which is breaking the 4th wall at that point. I'm not one of them physical goers, so no worries. I'm more or less was thinking about the families that can borderline pay the market rates in my last comment, and are obsessed with wanting to be in Manhattan. I'm pretty sure those that can easily afford the market rate will choose whatever they "feel" is right in their eyes.

Now that you brought up that link, i'm thinking about: "145 CLINTON STREET, LOWER EAST SIDE, MANHATTAN" -- which if looked up on google maps doesn't portray a good accuracy of a market rate venue, other than it being in the LES. My grandmother lives not too far off in Cherry St, so I know the area.

Essex Crossing Site 5 Affordable Housing Lottery is Now Open! - Essex Crossing NYC

Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlch View Post
Did they say that they added additional unit? or just units become available (meaning that people did not pass the processing time and they moved to the next applicant?
Quoting what I was told: "Your family was waitlisted last year, because we did not have units available that would accommodate your family. With additional units available at this time, we would like to request the following updated documents:"

But if you dig enough into the regulations, you'll find a template of sorts on how these e-mails must be sent out to potential recipients. Same with how they write their: "you have been waitlisted letter" -- as far as I know, additional units is plural. One unit vis-a-vis two units.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandbon View Post
They don't let me visit the apartment yet. I think my case was just taken out the waiting list and qualified again. They will only show the tenant who is approved by HCR.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that there are enough added apartments in the bracket of $25,200~$34,520.
I was contacted by the Leasing Manager to update existing income. He was very polite with me. Based on what he told me, it seems like they're busy at the moment, so we will need to give them a week before anything resumes.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 PM

17 posts, read 31,332 times
Does anyone know how long it takes for signing the lease after unit showing?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 AM

12 posts, read 26,864 times
Quote:
Does anyone know how long it takes for signing the lease after unit showing?
Hi Grandbon, I have couple questions. I hope you can help to answer. How many 2 bedrooms do they show you? It seems like they have some? And after interview with them, how long do you hear back from them to visit the unit this time?

Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchen42 View Post
Hi Grandbon, I have couple questions. I hope you can help to answer. How many 2 bedrooms do they show you? It seems like they have some? And after interview with them, how long do you hear back from them to visit the unit this time?
They only told me that my file was approved. They have not shown the unit to me yet. I think it will be May or June. This time, they did not ask me for interview. They only update my file.

Do you have an interview this time?

Old 04-30-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water_Nintendo64 View Post
Quoting what I was told: "Your family was waitlisted last year, because we did not have units available that would accommodate your family. With additional units available at this time, we would like to request the following updated documents:"

But if you dig enough into the regulations, you'll find a template of sorts on how these e-mails must be sent out to potential recipients. Same with how they write their: "you have been waitlisted letter" -- as far as I know, additional units is plural. One unit vis-a-vis two units.
After searching on the internet and studying some data from Zillow, I think the additional units would be 2 units for studio, 2 for 1 bedroom and 3 for 2 bedrooms.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:21 AM

91 posts, read 177,978 times
Quote:
After searching on the internet and studying some data from Zillow, I think the additional units would be 2 units for studio, 2 for 1 bedroom and 3 for 2 bedrooms.
You guys are so lucky, Im on a waitlist for 2bd but in an higher bracket them you. I guess they added units for the lower brackets

Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 AM

12 posts, read 26,864 times
Quote:
OMG! How can you search and get the conclusion. Hope I can get any news back soon. I don't want to be the same as you last year,(after interview and sit on waiting list).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery