Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:16 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Do you honestly want to take a $2 an hour job?

I say compete with the H1B's or skilled workers who are coming from the East. Not some Mexican immigrant who can only pick cherries.

A lot of Mexican immigrants are skilled in construction trades, they can hit the ground running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 10:00 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:

I say compete with the H1B's or skilled workers who are coming from the East. Not some Mexican immigrant who can only pick cherries.
Easier said than done. Most of the H1Bs that the top tech firms hire are the best of breed. The fact of the matter is unless you were the top student in most of your math/science classes growing up, you won't be able to compete even if you try. Unless you want to compete against the unskilled H1Bs from the Indian consulting companies making peanuts in which case you're better off getting that roofing job back from the illegals.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Easier said than done. Most of the H1Bs that the top tech firms hire are the best of breed. The fact of the matter is unless you were the top student in most of your math/science classes growing up, you won't be able to compete even if you try. Unless you want to compete against the unskilled H1Bs from the Indian consulting companies making peanuts in which case you're better off getting that roofing job back from the illegals.
If the H1Bs are best of the breed, I'm not impressed at all. The most common reply I hear from H1B1 is "I haven't been trained to do that yet..."

Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
That white European countries have low fertility replacement rate is a huge myth that has been floating around for years among laymen.
Sweden has a replacement rate higher or about the same as the US (most rankings however list higher) and Germany is lower than Sweden's but is still higher than countries like China, southern European countries like Italy, Spain and Greece which are stereotyped to have more children than Germany in people's minds.
None of this is true. Sweden has a lower fertility rate than the U.S., and Germany actually has the lowest fertility rate on earth.

Germany passes Japan to have world's lowest birth rate - study - BBC News

Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
[/b]

Our people can then be put back to work.
The U.S. has one of the lowest unemployment rates on earth and has one of the highest economic growth rates of any developed country.

If you kicked out all the immigrants the unemployment rate would rise because immigrants tend to be entrepreneurs and job creators.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:03 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:

Lack of supply of people for $2.00 an hour jobs will quickly turn that job into a living wage.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
None of this is true. Sweden has a lower fertility rate than the U.S., and Germany actually has the lowest fertility rate on earth.

Germany passes Japan to have world's lowest birth rate - study - BBC News
Which is why Germany agreed to take in so many Syrian immigrants. Having a declining population would hit their economy AND leave no young people to support the social safety net.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:

You do have Americans who work along side Mexican immigrants doing unskilled labor. The restaurant/bar/hotel sector, construction, etc.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If the H1Bs are best of the breed, I'm not impressed at all. The most common reply I hear from H1B1 is "I haven't been trained to do that yet..."
I've seen my share of those too. Eventually no one will sponsor them for a greencard and they'll be on their way back to India or try again in London. The only way to deal with them is to lay them off during the next budgeting cycle. It's 2015, with the amount of information on the internet anyone hired for their intelligence and asks to be trained deserves to be fired ASAP.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:46 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Thank you! It kills me when people fight for so called unskilled labor that pays very little, but don't mention the H1B's. Many H1b's make over 200K a year and they're laughing at you dummies fight Mexicans for the $2 an hour job. It's ridiculous, (and embarrassing) really.

So many US tech colleges graduating young men and women of science, and corporations have to go out and hire easterners for very (and I mean) very high wages. A job that an American would do for 70K, they'd hire an H1B to do for 150K++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City