Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:00 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

The best tech school in the metro area would be Stony Brook out on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
The gentrification of these areas started sometime back, it is just not noticed when the gentrifiers are Black and Latin. Also the PJ's help to block the view of everything else going on in East NY and Brownsville..

Over the last 2 decades home owners have bought the reasonably priced homes in those areas. Homeowners with decent jobs raising their families. Its a straight subway ride to Manhattan. These homeowners have cleaned up many of the blocks, and rehabbed the homes. Now people are seeing past the PJ's and realizing this.

I don't know if Cypress Hills is still considered a part of East NY but this article was in the NY Times earlier this month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/re...pace.html?_r=0

Old 10-27-2015, 09:12 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,858 times
Thanks DAS for pointing this out. I purchased my home on a decent tree lined well kept area on Brownsville a few years ago. My neighbors are transit workers, corrections, and even firemen. 1 block from the 3 & L trains, not to mention my 30-40 minute commute to work downtown!!! My kids can safely play outside or in the backyard. I don't ever have to worry about parking or high priced rents. It's highway robbery of what folks are shelling out for tiny apartments. Although, I highly doubt my neighborhood would ever gentrify to any extreme, I have been seeing a new variety in the neighborhood. When I met my broker, my first words to her was NO ENY & NO Brownsville. After months of house hunting, she said she had a place for me.. and it would make me eat my words when I saw it. From the drive alone... I was like WOW what a difference a few blocks makes. Its like a community people don't know exist. When I parked my car out front.. I said YES this home for us... I believe the outskirts of my area won't gentrify, and can honestly say I'm cool with that.. Some places are just better when left alone.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
Thanks DAS for pointing this out. I purchased my home on a decent tree lined well kept area on Brownsville a few years ago. My neighbors are transit workers, corrections, and even firemen. 1 block from the 3 & L trains, not to mention my 30-40 minute commute to work downtown!!! My kids can safely play outside or in the backyard. I don't ever have to worry about parking or high priced rents. It's highway robbery of what folks are shelling out for tiny apartments. Although, I highly doubt my neighborhood would ever gentrify to any extreme, I have been seeing a new variety in the neighborhood. When I met my broker, my first words to her was NO ENY & NO Brownsville. After months of house hunting, she said she had a place for me.. and it would make me eat my words when I saw it. From the drive alone... I was like WOW what a difference a few blocks makes. Its like a community people don't know exist. When I parked my car out front.. I said YES this home for us... I believe the outskirts of my area won't gentrify, and can honestly say I'm cool with that.. Some places are just better when left alone.
Yes ShayLove, I work with a few of your neighbors in the financial district and I have visited them and it is as you have described. This type of gentrification is the best kind. its what most describe as revitalization.

Most people don't realize it yet but the gentrification with the extremely high rents is working against many neighborhoods in the city. My sources at HRA tell me that they inundated with request for one shot deals for rent arrears from many people in these high rent situations including roommates.

There is also a market for people that don't want a coop or condo but a modestly priced house. Also many civil servants have to live in the 5 boros. My coworkers are people that want parking and the one shot subway ride into Manhattan for them and their children that attend school in Manattan and other areas of Brooklyn.

The statistics are just catching up with the facts.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:49 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
From what you're describing, I know exactly the area of Brownsville you're in....no issues walking home from the train station at night? I've personally done it once coming from the Plaza, walked to Sutter Avenue L train. But around the train stations (Junius, Livonia) the area is pretty desolate.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-27-2015, 10:59 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
From what you're describing, I know exactly the area of Brownsville you're in....no issues walking home from the train station at night? I've personally done it once coming from the Plaza, walked to Sutter Avenue L train. But around the train stations (Junius, Livonia) the area is pretty desolate.
Yes that is true, I'm not responding for ShayLove. My coworker is over there also and her husband picks her up at the subway in the evenings.

But with everything so highly priced in the city, and these homeowners paving the way for 2 decades in this area, the desolation is bound to change, and change really fast.

Save your post and let's look at it again in 2 or 3 years.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:04 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've actually seen White walking on the bridge making that transfer from the 3 to the L at night. They were probably teachers and other people who work in the area.

I'm up a few stops north and I must say, the areas from Sutter avenue (3) and the Saratoga avenue stations feel like an entirely different neighborhood compared to Rockaway and Junius. What a difference the PJ's can make.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:22 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
I've actually seen White walking on the bridge making that transfer from the 3 to the L at night. They were probably teachers and other people who work in the area.

I'm up a few stops north and I must say, the areas from Sutter avenue (3) and the Saratoga avenue stations feel like an entirely different neighborhood compared to Rockaway and Junius. What a difference the PJ's can make.
Empty space and subway stations. Is that what your comment is stating? If that is so, things will change in those areas. The city and the people of NYC, can no longer allow the fact that a PJ development exists nearby, hold the area hostage and keep it from developing.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:58 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
NYC needs much more than that, it needs to start from within and from subsidizing local colleges and their engineering depts, and subsidizing more technical schools in the area. The NYU Tandon School of Engineering is ranked very low, as are the local colleges and universities outside of Columbia, including Pace, Fordham, St. Johns, Baruch, City College which are mostly geared towards business, finance and law, those areas always having been NYC's economic forte. But job diversification into technology is much needed to expand the employment pool and improve employment for other areas of the city and hedge against future financial crisis. When the markets fall again, it's not the wealthy who suffer the most, it's the impoverished in the 5 boroughs.

All major tech hubs in the United States began with this model.
I agree with this. However this will never ever happen. First off the city and tech companies need lots of capital to invest in the local public school system. The city first off does not create tech talent in our school system. Much of the cities tech talent are transplants and not locals. Creating tech talent will slowly reverse inequality in the city, but this wont happen in a million years, and if so will be a slow process. I mentioned this before in previous threads as well.

As for NYC growing tech market? Much of that market is only in small start up mobile space and software services. Folks that run these startups are hoping for big payouts and buyouts when they sell their startups to the big 4, such as Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Google and or to a Microsoft, Ibm, oracle for services, or even foreign tech companies like Sony, Nintendo, and other consumer tech giants. NYC will never be as big as San Francisco and the Bay Area, or even eclipse Seattle area in tech. Even though technology growth is a positive sign in NYC, more needs to be done so that it can rival Boston, Bay Area, Seattle Redmond Area. The reason why tech took off in San Francisco is due to Caltech, Standford and University of Berkley. NYC needs to create tech incubator for local populace so that it can rival Seattle and San Francsico in the future. Sadly NYC has an education crisis which needs to be fixed by massive federal aide. In the mean time NYC does not create workers, it attracts workers, and NYC might be this way for the forcible future.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-27-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Empty space and subway stations. Is that what your comment is stating? If that is so, things will change in those areas. The city and the people of NYC, can no longer allow the fact that a PJ development exists nearby, hold the area hostage and keep it from developing.
Nah, I live out here and there's still plenty of empty lots in the areas I was mentioning. The blocks are slightly cleaner, the road conditions are better, and it feels a tad bit safer. Even though there's an NYPD watch light by the Saratoga station it feels tremendously safer than Rockaway or Junius, especially at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City