Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 PM

712 posts, read 1,207,177 times

Advertisements

DSNY MEDICAL STANDARDS is 38 pages!.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 PM

16 posts, read 20,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
A few weeks back there was a debate on tiers, I just got some info when I came in today... so first , obviously if you've never had city service before and are hired now, your tier 6.... now for the guys who have prior city service from before April 2012, apparently there are two options,

1) you fall in tier 4, you have to do 20 years at DSNY, and any prior time counts towards your pension.

2) you Fall into tier 6 and you only do the time remaining to hit 22 years (so if you did 10 with NYPD , you would only have to do 12 1/2 with DSNY).

Apparently the 2nd option guys have a lawsuit going that you can join if your in that category...

Not sure if this is a choice given to new SWs are the city just arbitrarily carries the employees differently
Hi, are you sure about this? I think you might get your facts misinterpreted. Because I know a few sanman that's going thru it right now. They had prior city time before 2012, was put into tier 4 and now nycers is telling them that they will be put in tier 6. I don't think there's an options for them to pick which tier they would want to be in.

Unless something change with nycers and the pension again recently? Anybody knows to shine a light on this

Old 09-16-2016, 09:30 PM

264 posts, read 504,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgeorgee View Post
Good for you, you found the smoking gun. Not only will your appeal be overturned but based on that if you get hurt on the job (hopefully not) they can't deny fault. You might even be able to fight for seniority considering they did not follow their own standards.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:37 AM

101 posts, read 154,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgeorgee View Post
Can u send me the link or PDF for the booklet? I'm curious of the information it has

Old 09-17-2016, 11:17 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstrong View Post
Hi, are you sure about this? I think you might get your facts misinterpreted. Because I know a few sanman that's going thru it right now. They had prior city time before 2012, was put into tier 4 and now nycers is telling them that they will be put in tier 6. I don't think there's an options for them to pick which tier they would want to be in.

Unless something change with nycers and the pension again recently? Anybody knows to shine a light on this
I said at the end I'm not sure if it was a choice... the current situation as it was explained to me was that some people are tier 6 , some were tier 4... not sure which was the correct way... just that there is a discrepancy... and a lawsuit going on

Old 09-17-2016, 02:11 PM

308 posts, read 517,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I said at the end I'm not sure if it was a choice... the current situation as it was explained to me was that some people are tier 6 , some were tier 4... not sure which was the correct way... just that there is a discrepancy... and a lawsuit going on
I went down to NYCERS on Friday. I was nypd from 1991 to 97. Told me I can buy back into my old tier and I started paperwork. Investigation can last a year or more they warned

Old 09-20-2016, 03:14 AM

64 posts, read 80,469 times
SEPT Class for FBF started yesterday, 119 people in the class. Last number hired was somewhere in the high 900s. There will be no OCT class.

If they hire next year, people in the 1000-2000s list number range....GET THAT CDL if you're serious about this job. I suggest get that permit now and start practicing between fall and the winter... take your road test in like March, this way if you fail, you still have another chance of squeezing in another road test before June/July. If you are able to get your CDL before your pre-orientation, it will save you a headache. Wouldn't you like to go into the medical stress free? I have heard great things about the DSNY CDL class, but it's way better getting it done early on your own time and getting it out of the way. Good Luck all.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:53 PM

779 posts, read 1,003,900 times
I really hope they won't force tier 4's into tier 6. I've never heard of that happening with city agencies.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:38 PM

271 posts, read 454,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmen718 View Post
SEPT Class for FBF started yesterday, 119 people in the class. Last number hired was somewhere in the high 900s. There will be no OCT class.

If they hire next year, people in the 1000-2000s list number range....GET THAT CDL if you're serious about this job. I suggest get that permit now and start practicing between fall and the winter... take your road test in like March, this way if you fail, you still have another chance of squeezing in another road test before June/July. If you are able to get your CDL before your pre-orientation, it will save you a headache. Wouldn't you like to go into the medical stress free? I have heard great things about the DSNY CDL class, but it's way better getting it done early on your own time and getting it out of the way. Good Luck all.
I've been trying to say the same thing about the license. I already have my Cdl and am patiently waiting for my list number to be reached and all I'll have to do is transfer over!

Old 09-20-2016, 07:16 PM

529 posts, read 727,020 times
Same here. Got my license on my own. Actually applied for a job on the inside in the meantime. Hopefully I get that call soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City