Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:24 AM

79 posts, read 84,792 times

Advertisements

Is it me or is the radiator fad gradually increasing with the modern day old school renovations? I have now seen about 3 homes that were re-renovated to include old school cast iron radiators, as opposed to switching to a ventilation, or ductless central heating systems.

What is the deal with this backward progress? And would you install cast iron systems into a new home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:32 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanviewer View Post
Is it me or is the radiator fad gradually increasing with the modern day old school renovations? I have now seen about 3 homes that were re-renovated to include old school cast iron radiators, as opposed to switching to a ventilation, or ductless central heating systems.

What is the deal with this backward progress? And would you install cast iron systems into a new home?

I'm not sure. But forced air/dry air heating systems are a move backwards when it comes to human health. They are associated with a much higher incidence of sinus/headache/dry skin problems than the clunky old radiators.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:21 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
I love the old radiators. I would do it. Hate forced air.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:11 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Radiators fed with hot water or steam are some of the most efficient heating out there.
Water is far better at transferring heat than air, and cast iron stores and evenly releases heat extremely well.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:08 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
The only con to cast iron radiators that I can think of is the room they take up. I build custom covers for them, though so they make good shelf space.

Pros are efficiency, good place to dry wet mittens and hats, and cats like to sleep on them.

Forced air and ducting are a good way to spray allergens and dirt all over your house.

I like backward progress.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:15 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Nothing like putting on warm gloves, scarf and hat on the way out the door!

Old 11-10-2015, 01:09 PM

186 posts, read 220,306 times
Radiators to me is great. Warms up real nice and like everyone said nothing like using them to have scarf and gloves and hat toasty before you head out

Old 11-10-2015, 01:30 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
I hate mine my apartment is always too hot

Old 11-10-2015, 01:33 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,466 times
Quote:

The forced heat/air is expensive as ****! Most of the places that have central ac make you charge for it, and our utility bill has been sky high. I *wish* I could find an apt with a radiator.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:49 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:

In some instances steam or hot water heat (baseboards, radiators) were in the house originally. Someone wanting something "new" switched things to forced air (usually but not always same time central air conditioning is installed), then someone else buys the house and wants to switch back.

When installed and operating correctly there is nothing better than hot water or steam radiant heat. Instead of the blasts of hot air then periods of cold you get with forced air the former gives an even consistent feeling of comfort.

Cast iron has many unique properties that make it ideal for radiators. While it is slow to heat up it also is slow to give off heat. Those hunks of cast iron give off stored heat long after the boiler has shut down. This is part of the constant feeling of warmth you get from steam/hot water heating with radiators.

Sadly many of the "steam heads/old men" are either dead or far and few between. Am talking about those who are able to properly plan, design, install and maintain steam heating systems. Many times a house is told to "rip out" a system that isn't working properly because the HVAC contractor called doesn't know what he is doing. He can make more money installing a forced air system rather than spend time trying to figure out what is wrong with the current steam/hot water system.

In NYC most new construction especially of those glass and concrete boxes are going with forced air (central or PTAC) for various reasons. One is of course you can shift cost of heating individual apartments from the building to the tenant/resident. While being billed as giving the owner/tenant full control over their heating/cooling in reality it shifts a significant cost onto their shoulders. More so if this is electric heating.

Finally modern high end forced air systems blend heat, humidifier, dehumidifier, air purifier and cooling into one system. This becomes important I suppose as these new homes/apartments are sealed tight. Living in Manhattan you know what happens when you leave windows open, so these homes are advertised as having constantly "clean" air that is heated or cooled to whatever settings the resident wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City