Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,944,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Personally, I'd go with option 1 but that's based on my preferences given your two options.
Agree based on opinions from people I know who live there, one a relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 PM

927 posts, read 2,228,777 times
Except I like the activity on Franklin. That's a huge, huge plus for me.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Agree based on opinions from people I know who live there, one a relative.
What intersection is your relative on? You know in BK a neighborhood can be entirely different from one block to the next.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,944,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
What intersection is your relative on? You know in BK a neighborhood can be entirely different from one block to the next.
Let me try to find out.
They are in the UK right now.
I might have the exact address somewhere.

Answer is address #1 - block from Franklin.

Last edited by Harlem resident; 11-10-2015 at 08:38 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 09:03 AM

23 posts, read 50,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Youre asking complete strangers on a foru with 80% of the people who havent been to that area ever the other 10% havent been since the 90's and 5% who have passed by and think they know and the last 5% dont post too much.

Good luck
I'm in that last 5%

Old 11-11-2015, 09:46 AM

961 posts, read 2,466,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I'm looking to get my own place in Crown Heights.

Option 1:

Rent stabilized building about two blocks from Franklin Ave with all the amenities I like (bars, restaurants, coffee shops)
$1325 1 BR.
Hardwood floors, renovated kitchen with stainless steel appliances, walk-in closet.
Small rooms-living and bedroom are pretty tiny
Awful view -It's a ground floor apartment directly in front of parking spaces, so cars could literally be parked directly in front of all my windows 24/7 with exhaust, noise, and ish. So I'd never be able to keep the windows open.
Brokers fee

Option 2:
1450 on Sullivan Place and Nostrand (off the 2/5)
Spacious, airy, full of light (with windows NOT right next to parked cars)
Older kitchen with older appliances
No brokers fee
Not close to amenities I like

Is anyone familiar with the Option 2 neighborhood? It's on the edge between Crown Heights and Prospect Lefferts. So basically the advantages are that it's larger and no brokers fee, though it's more expensive.

Which would you choose?
I recently moved to Option 2 last year (Sullivan and Rogers) and spend a lot of time hanging around option 1 as they are within walking distance. I think both are good options, but I would go with two due to more space and you will still have access to all the amenities in option 1 albeit a ten minute walk. Also Option 2 has a lot of West Indian and Latino restaurants nearby and Associated Supermarket is across the street.

p.s. I know you said your bf said to keep looking. But let me tell you everything is getting so expensive around here and fast. My one bedroom which I pay $1400 for would be $1800 if I were to vacate it tomorrow. And this is in a rent stabilized building.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,335,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I would go with option #2, it's quieter around there than Franklin Avenue, and you're a few blocks from President Street on the 2/5 trains, so you're still going to be within walking distance of a train.
Option 1 is walking to the 2,3,4,5, the A/C and the shuttle. Plus the LIRR. Both have SBS.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:32 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,414,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Option 1 is walking to the 2,3,4,5, the A/C and the shuttle. Plus the LIRR. Both have SBS.
No, option 1 is only walking to the 2/3, 4/5 and shuttle. What SBS runs on Franklin Avenue? B44 SBS runs on Nostrand. LIRR is on Nostrand as well so option 2 strikes again.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-12-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post

p.s. I know you said your bf said to keep looking. But let me tell you everything is getting so expensive around here and fast. My one bedroom which I pay $1400 for would be $1800 if I were to vacate it tomorrow. And this is in a rent stabilized building.
You're absolutely right. I spoke to a girl who lived at Option 2, and she said just two years ago it was $1200. My pay won't be increasing dramatically in the next year or even 3, so it's not like I gain much by waiting.

Also, I actually hadn't visited Option 2 when I wrote my initial post; my comments were based on the pics. I viewed it today and it was love at first sight.

Fortunately, another application was chosen for Option 1, and I'm relieved that I didn't settle just because it was cheaper and near Franklin. B/c Sullivan is still close enough to the activity and the apartment itself is truly perfect.

Thanks for your insight!

Old 11-12-2015, 04:42 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,335,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No, option 1 is only walking to the 2/3, 4/5 and shuttle. What SBS runs on Franklin Avenue? B44 SBS runs on Nostrand. LIRR is on Nostrand as well so option 2 strikes again.
SBS to Williamsburg is on Bedford, which is a block away from Franklin. And you have the C on Franklin, which I'd consider walking distance. It really depends on where off Franklin the apartment is, but if somewhat evenly placed between Eastern and Atlantic, than the location has good transportation. Don't be so lazy, you can walk a couple blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: