Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:27 AM

37 posts, read 38,143 times

Advertisements

My mother lives in public housing. For two years now she's had a recurring leak in the bathroom whenever it rains. Everytime she complains, NYCHA does some temporary patch job that fixes it for a bit of time, but it's never permanent. Some weeks later it will leak again.

The maintenance people explains the problem is not just her apt but there's some hole somewhere in the building that makes water leak up and down her apartment line.

Everytime she complains and I complain for her to the management office, all they do is say make a ticket.

Simply put, the office refuses to make a permanent fix.

In the meantime, paint is coming off all over her apt. Although water mainly comes down from the bathroom because the toilet and shower has gaps where the water can come through, most of the space above her ceiling must be flooded. The closets smell moldy and paint has fallen off.

Where can my mother turn to file complaint and possibly recover damages to the apt?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 12:42 PM

28 posts, read 24,735 times
From NYC.Gov

>I contacted my Management Office and requested that repairs be made in my apartment. The repairs still have not been completed. Isn't management supposed to complete all repairs immediately?
All work tickets are treated by priority of importance. Emergency repairs such as gas leaks, floods, clogged toilets, persons stuck in elevators, power failures, heat and hot water complaints, missing window guards, broken entrance doors, or any life-threatening situations must be completed immediately. Urgent repairs such as, clogged kitchen sink rains or an inoperative refrigerator must be completed within 48 hours. Routine repairs such as a dripping faucet or a broken window handle will generally be completed within 5 business days. If not, the matter should be reported to your Housing Assistant, Assistant Manager or Manager. If the matter is still not resolved call your Borough Management Office. The Borough Office will intervene on your behalf to have the repair(s) completed.

NYCHA is notorious for not making repairs and just overall poor maintenance

I worked a construction management job where NYCHA was the owner and the amount of red tape to get even the simplest thing accomplished was unreal. You need to get approval from like 4 people in order to submit a question.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
The NYCHA buildings are aging and deteriorating. An overhaul requires billions and billions of dollars that NYCHA do not have. It's like trying to constantly repair a 20 year old clunker car, when it should be junked. Unfortunately, bureacracy and stupid New Yorkers are preventing them from doing the smart thing: selling off the land and re-developing those eyesore projects. (Yes, current residents don't need to be displaced either if redevelopment is done correctly).

The current residents whine and complain when NYCHA officials try to at least bring in some revenue through selling off parking lots and other underutilized space. Now, instead they get crumbling buildings with no way of paying for all the necessary repairs. Not to sound insensitive, but these people deserve everything they get.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:16 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The NYCHA buildings are aging and deteriorating. An overhaul requires billions and billions of dollars that NYCHA do not have. It's like trying to constantly repair a 20 year old clunker car, when it should be junked. Unfortunately, bureacracy and stupid New Yorkers are preventing them from doing the smart thing: selling off the land and re-developing those eyesore projects. (Yes, current residents don't need to be displaced either if redevelopment is done correctly).

The current residents whine and complain when NYCHA officials try to at least bring in some revenue through selling off parking lots and other underutilized space. Now, instead they get crumbling buildings with no way of paying for all the necessary repairs. Not to sound insensitive, but these people deserve everything they get.
No this is stupid. We're not selling off our only source of real affordable housing. No one wants to hear your stupid idea because "it's an eyesore." Not even entertaining this BS here, I'm in no mood.

Edit: lmao this dude is from New Jersey. Not even a real New Yorker. Hate to break it you dude but your whole ****ing state is an eyesore. I wish they would bulldoze the whole thing and "redevelop" it with a bunch of public housing projects

Old 12-17-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies888 View Post
My mother lives in public housing. For two years now she's had a recurring leak in the bathroom whenever it rains. Everytime she complains, NYCHA does some temporary patch job that fixes it for a bit of time, but it's never permanent. Some weeks later it will leak again.

The maintenance people explains the problem is not just her apt but there's some hole somewhere in the building that makes water leak up and down her apartment line.

Everytime she complains and I complain for her to the management office, all they do is say make a ticket.

Simply put, the office refuses to make a permanent fix.

In the meantime, paint is coming off all over her apt. Although water mainly comes down from the bathroom because the toilet and shower has gaps where the water can come through, most of the space above her ceiling must be flooded. The closets smell moldy and paint has fallen off.

Where can my mother turn to file complaint and possibly recover damages to the apt?

Thank you.
Go to ****ing housing court.

Look up Urban Justice Center Safety Net Project NYCHA Legal Clinic. They operate out of Union Community Health Center and Councilman Mark-Viverito's office and provide free lawyers to NYCHA tenants in your situation.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
No this is stupid. We're not selling off our only source of real affordable housing. No one wants to hear your stupid idea because "it's an eyesore." Not even entertaining this BS here, I'm in no mood.

Edit: lmao this dude is from New Jersey. Not even a real New Yorker. Hate to break it you dude but your whole ****ing state is an eyesore. I wish they would bulldoze the whole thing and "redevelop" it with a bunch of public housing projects
Okay, so my idea is "stupid." Well, genius let's hear how you propose to help NYCHA find the money to fix all their crumbling buldings?

This should be good.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:51 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Let me help you out fam:

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-18-2015, 09:34 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
If people refuse to call 311 and follow through with HPD - the FIRST time - there is little anyone can do to help. Agree about an HP action, and now.

Why do people insist on repeatedly working with landlords of whatever stripe.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Okay, so my idea is "stupid." Well, genius let's hear how you propose to help NYCHA find the money to fix all their crumbling buldings?

This should be good.
Yeah it will be good, and its very simple. Let's start with taxing the rich. Robin Hood Tax, Property Taxes, Luxury taxes, income taxes, I don't care. This is how things are done the right way.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Yeah it will be good, and its very simple. Let's start with taxing the rich. Robin Hood Tax, Property Taxes, Luxury taxes, income taxes, I don't care. This is how things are done the right way.
The more you tax them, the more power you give them. But I still think the rich should be taxed more, but unfortunately believe that the middle class would end up picking up the tab. Got to get rid of the bureaucracy, and adding tax money to that pot would only add layers to the process. This is government that you are giving all your trust in to manage our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City