Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 12:07 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Let us objectively evaluate the merits of an area without throwing around the word jealousy and reduce the conversation to personal biases.

In terms of safety and what the area has to offer Jamaica has alot more going for it than areas that have long since gentrified.
Jamaica has numerous well paying gov't offices, business, organizations and facilities that is more attractive than all the BJ's and KMARTS of the world.

Exhibit:
The vast majority of employees that work in those places don't live in Jamaica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:14 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Jamaica has the regional offices of the Federal aviation administration. Numerous court houses. A huge Veterans Affair hospital complex. Two large MTA bus depots. Jamaica center which contains the LIRR and other mass transit options. A college. Hospital and medical complex. This is just to name a few of the many well paying govt agencies, businesses and organizations. I think proximity to and availability of decent jobs is more attractive than all the wholesale clubs and low priced, poorly manufactured items that KMART can provide.

Shopping. There is a Gap, TJ Maxx, Old navy, models among other retail options in Jamaica all within a walkable stretch.
Factor in proximity to one of the world's busiest airports ( without the annoyance of the air traffic noise. Don't believe me? Check the location of the people who complain about the noise). Trains that offers services to nearby beaches.

Jamaica has much more to offer in it's ungentrified stage than many of the since gentrified neighborhoods.

Yes we don't have many restaurant options and the retail could be better. We already have the infrastructure to accomodate these new businesses. Plus a car, train or uber takes you to such establishments within 15 mins.

I don't judge many 'good neighborhoods' for their high human trafficking and prostitution. Or the ones where the known major players in the manufacturing of credit card skimming devices are located. The synthetic drug importers and major dealers are not located in Jamaica. They are located in these good neighborhoods. The crime rings involved in identity theft and credit card frauds. Take a guess who is involved and what neighborhood they are located.

You like where you live enjoy it. Many middle class and upper middle class households are located in jamaica. Families with houses paid off who have been living there for decades.

It is disingenuous and shows a lack of intelligence that you are unable to discuss the pros and cons of a neighborhood without accusations of people being 'jealous' and going back to pre conceived notions.

Areas change. Residents change. Life and many neighborhoods evolve.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 07-21-2016 at 12:25 AM..

Old 07-21-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
The vast majority of employees that work in those places don't live in Jamaica.
And many do. I know many who do work in these places and live in Jamaica.

See my previous post of me being one of them . I purchased two homes in the area because of it's proximity to our jobs (husband and I).
My neighbor who is a dentist begs to disagree. My co-workers (good salary and great benefits including a retirement pension) who live in Jamaica beg to disagree. My nurse practitioner neighbor begs to disagree. My ex neighbor who is an attorney begs to disagree. You may not know these people. I assure you. We are not rare. We exist. Many having lived in the area for over 20 years.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:29 AM

Plus let us clarify. The investors e d developers are looking at the general Jamaica and south eastern jamaica area. Many seem to be stuck on south Jamaica. South Jamaica is not the only area in Jamaica.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:33 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Again, what reason is there to go to Jamaica other than for jury duty or for a low paying government job? There is no reason to shop there, nor are there restaurants worth traveling there for. Just give me a reason, I'd love to check out the area, but I just don't find it worth checking out.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:54 AM

294 posts, read 263,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Again, what reason is there to go to Jamaica other than for jury duty or for a low paying government job? There is no reason to shop there, nor are there restaurants worth traveling there for. Just give me a reason, I'd love to check out the area, but I just don't find it worth checking out.
There are some nice ethnic restaurants opening in the 160s/170s on Hillside Ave. Mirch, Vintage Curry, and Spicy Lanka attract people from outside the area. Could Hillside Ave be turning into the next Curry Row? Time will tell.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Good Morning G-Dale. A crash course in real estate development. Investors and Developers in an area do not base the profitability or attractiveness of an Investement on whether or not the 'regular' person (already firmly established in their neighborhood ) will now want to visit or find that area interesting.
They look at existing infrastructure, required initial Investement and the amount of money to be earned on that initial investement. They think about the available market for their investment. Unfortunately most individuals are too risk averse or reluctant to objectively look at the pros and cons of investing in an area or business before it is on the radar of the masses and now cost prohibitive.

Developers are smart enough to invest millions and make millions in an area when many individuals won't even drive through a neighborhood.
I am sure LIC was not on anyone's list of places to visit pre-revitalization. Now the average person finds it's affordability way out of their reach. This also goes for many other areas.

Anyways, you have demonstarted your inability to objectively discuss the pros and cons of investment in an area. Maybe Jamaica will never change and become this cool super hip place. But this will not solely be due to your likes or dislikes of an area.

Maybe on another topic you will be unbiased and informed enough to articulate your position beyond stating that your opposition is jealous or you don't like that thing.

For now this converstion is futile.

Have a good day sir. This is the last response to you on this topic.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:27 AM

436 posts, read 565,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
There are some nice ethnic restaurants opening in the 160s/170s on Hillside Ave. Mirch, Vintage Curry, and Spicy Lanka attract people from outside the area. Could Hillside Ave be turning into the next Curry Row? Time will tell.

There are already quite a good number of them (mainly South Asian), but he was specifically targeting areas south of Hillside Ave. and east of the Van Wyck Expwy. Hillside Ave. is leaps and bounds better than the Jamaica Ave. strip when it comes to dining.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:12 AM

I am not an investor, but I do have money to spend, and was wondering if there is anywhere in Jamaica worth traveling to for spending this money that I have. It is a simple question that I only receive roundabout responses about hope for the future. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting as Jamaica obviously doesn't want outsiders money.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
What about south of Hillside ave, which is the border between Southeast Queens and Central/Northeast Queens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City