Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:43 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuther1985 View Post
I am leaving the life I built in Texas to relocate to New York with my child. Texas is affordable, everything is bigger and modern. I make good money and I am happy here. The only thing is that my boyfriend had to move back to NYC for work and he is all over the place as he serves in the military part-time. He recommended that I move to the east coast for us to be closer and I am considering it. He shares a house with a roommate and I don't feel comfortable bringing my son in there so I would like to move somewhere affordable (my bf is giving me some money upfront for the rent and deposit). I would also like to move somewhere that's no more than an hour away from Brooklyn. Any suggestions?
He shares a house with someone else? Which means potential subletting, "illegal apartment" type of situation? Maybe, maybe not. Don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:47 PM

462 posts, read 550,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Stay in Texas. Find a new boyfriend.
I'd have to go along with this- if he was your husband and was in a stable situation that is one thing, but to uproot with a young child into a completely different situation like this is a recipe for trouble.

Let him travel to Texas to see you, it will test your relationship but that will show if he is the right guy for you. My gut tells me he likely is not.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Stay in TX, everything you loved about TX you will hate it in NYC. Everything you disliked about TX not so much better out here in NYC.

Sure, there are little to no tornadoes but your life is about to get harder and complicated to manage. There won't be that 5-10 min drive to your nearest supermarket.

Car insurance will go way up, utilities as much as car insurance in TX. And very hard to find a good school in NYC that isn't over crowded.

You suddenly have to pay NYC and State income taxes while Texas you only pay federal. No state income tax.

All those idiots from Texas that thought they're getting paid 10-30% more in NYC will find a raw deal when they saw the 1st paycheck that their 30% pay bump got eaten up by the NYC + NYS taxes.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:27 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
I have a friend who lives here for work but is from TX. He HATES it here. HATES HATES HATES. And he travels 4-5 days out of the week. If he was actually here full time? I can only imagine.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:36 PM

6 posts, read 4,685 times
Hi, when are you looking to relocated by if you were to take the plunge? New Jersey rentals/rentals in general are costly, and the rent rate are continuously rising. I personally believe it you are looking to be less than an hour away from Brooklyn, South of Bergen County would be a great county to live in. I would say Hoboken, but with a child and real estate booming there, I might not be a great opportunity for you especially if you have a car. if you want, please feel free to private message me and I can help you with the numbers and what I think would be a reasonable price range for you to expect moving to NJ.

Tracy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City