Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:05 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

The BEST thing somebody could say for Donald Trump is that he has "New York Values."

I guess Trump's comeback could be "That's better than Cruz' OTTOWA values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 12:28 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It had nothing to do with 911. It had to do with Cruz attacking back at Trump for calling him a Canadian. He just tried to say that not a lot of social conservatives cine out of NYC which is true. I don't know why trump invoked the tragedy of 911. He was mostly taking about the politics and politicians of NYC.

And why do you say uninhabited middle American states? The double standards are astounding.
No double standard. I'm not running for president, Cruz is. And he wants to be president of the entire country, not just certain regions. He sounds like he is better off with a state job from his comment, not national.

And who cares about social conservatives. Its about freedom. If gays want to marry, that is a God given freedom to do so no matter how much some oppose it. Its not up to some Canadian to oppress beliefs.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
He's like the crazy uncle who has no filter and you find yourself agreeing with on certain things but Trump hasn't offered one specific on how he plans to do anything. He's just an angry white guy.
When you lead in the polls, no need to market your plans aggressively. Although no one else has been any more transparent.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:48 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No double standard. I'm not running for president, Cruz is. And he wants to be president of the entire country, not just certain regions. He sounds like he is better off with a state job from his comment, not national.

And who cares about social conservatives. Its about freedom. If gays want to marry, that is a God given freedom to do so no matter how much some oppose it. Its not up to some Canadian to oppress beliefs.
This is such a double standard. Texas and middle america get hell on a stick when they express their values and no one bats an eye, but when you question the values of the elites in NYC, the city with the button on cultural issues who decide what is in and what is out (along with Hollywood), then it's "woah woah woah, you went too far". Cruz said not too many conservatives come out of Manhattan, meaning he was targeting he political and cultural elites which Trump is a self identified member.

This is all emotionalism. Pure and simple. Double standards and running on emotion. It gets turned around to make it seem as though Cruz is attacking the heroes of 9/11 and America in general. You literally have no argument. You might as well have re posted the NY Daily News cover cus that's at best as what the counter argument is.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:37 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post

Of course the far left in states like NY are waging all out war against the Second Amendment and some are trying to tell us what to eat and drink so you can't point a finger at social conservatives and say they are more anti-freedom than liberals.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 PM

Cruz on 'New York values': Sorry not sorry - POLITICO

“I apologize to the millions of New Yorkers who have been abandoned by liberal politicians,” Cruz said. “I apologize for the working men and women of New York who are denied jobs — jobs that have been plentiful just south of Pennsylvania — because Gov. Cuomo bans fracking. I apologize to all the pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-Second Amendment New Yorkers who Gov. Cuomo brazenly told have no place in the state of New York because that’s not who New Yorkers are.”

He went on to pledge that “help is on the way,” even for New Yorkers, in the upcoming election, suggesting that he would reverse policies that “don’t help the working men and women of this country but instead further the elite liberal views that have taken this country down a path that is not working.”

That's all Cruz meant and Trump took it in a direction it didn't need to go. It was a low blow to invoke a national tragedy for political gain.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:50 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:

That's all Cruz meant and Trump took it in a direction it didn't need to go. It was a low blow to invoke a national tragedy for political gain.
It was one of the lowest I have ever observed.
I remain astonished that people are apparently fine with this.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:55 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Cruz on 'New York values': Sorry not sorry - POLITICO

“I apologize to the millions of New Yorkers who have been abandoned by liberal politicians,” Cruz said. “I apologize for the working men and women of New York who are denied jobs — jobs that have been plentiful just south of Pennsylvania — because Gov. Cuomo bans fracking. I apologize to all the pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-Second Amendment New Yorkers who Gov. Cuomo brazenly told have no place in the state of New York because that’s not who New Yorkers are.”

He went on to pledge that “help is on the way,” even for New Yorkers, in the upcoming election, suggesting that he would reverse policies that “don’t help the working men and women of this country but instead further the elite liberal views that have taken this country down a path that is not working.”

Well people from New York don't like to think their values are "inferior" or the wrong ones. Trump brought up 9/11 to show NYC in it's "finest moment". I still think it was a shred political move and I happen to hate Trump.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It was one of the lowest I have ever observed.
I remain astonished that people are apparently fine with this.
Thank you! I just hate the whole political circus and hate seeing emotion triumph over facts. Cruz was dealt a low blow by Trump who used a national tragedy for emotional appeal and political gain. It was disgusting. He knew that is not what Cruz meant and took it down a rabbit hole. Now the media whistled the same tune and you have low brow immature crap like the NY Daily News, which was already a rag anyways, showcasing Lady Liberty giving Cruz the finger and telling him to drop dead.

I had no dog in this fight between Trump and Cruz but what I saw was BEYOND dirty.And yes I do wonder if people are that easily swayed by someone invoking 9/11? Is it that easy to curry favor with people? Trump waxed on about being at the scene, which we all know he wasn't. Get a clue people. It was a total jab for emotional appeal.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well people from New York don't like to think their values are "inferior" or the wrong ones. Trump brought up 9/11 to show NYC in it's "finest moment". I still think it was a shred political move and I happen to hate Trump.
And that's fine, but Cruz was appealing to his base, to conservatives. It was in the context that Trump was calling him un-American for being born in Canada and he was calling Trump out for acting as though he's Mr. Conservative, Bible thumping all across the Heartland when he's actually not that different from the NYC liberal elite. That was the context of the entire debate.

What I think happened was that Cruz did not expect Trump to really dive deep that low and invoke 9/11 and that it would be turned into social media fiasco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: