Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:48 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to figure out---if you don't shovel the snow into the street, where do you want people to put it? How are they getting their cars out? Because the pile next to my car on the sidewalk from the property owners was already four feet high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 08:08 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
whats wrong with shoveling the snow into the street? it melts much faster that way. it will get salted by sanitation truck + cars driving on it will melt it faster.
its actually a good idea.
dont listen to de blasio

i THINK THE SAME THING.
people throw the snow back into the street because the cars run over it smooshing it thus making it melt faster, plus with the multitdue of snow, where the eff are you supposed to put it anyway????

Old 01-25-2016, 11:15 AM

43,695 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I'm just trying to figure out---if you don't shovel the snow into the street, where do you want people to put it? How are they getting their cars out? Because the pile next to my car on the sidewalk from the property owners was already four feet high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i THINK THE SAME THING.
people throw the snow back into the street because the cars run over it smooshing it thus making it melt faster, plus with the multitdue of snow, where the eff are you supposed to put it anyway????
Good question! One can't throw the snow on the sidewalks which are supposed to be cleared off by the property owners or their agents and one shouldn't throw the snow back on to the streets. So until the snow melts what is the recommended thing to do with the snow?

Old 01-25-2016, 12:33 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
Make ice cream?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:36 PM

436 posts, read 565,475 times
I've seen many vehicles stuck on the street in my block. Many of the "tertiary" roads in southeastern Queens are just not suitable for driving anywhere.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:01 PM

279 posts, read 854,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
whats wrong with shoveling the snow into the street? it melts much faster that way. it will get salted by sanitation truck + cars driving on it will melt it faster.
its actually a good idea.
dont listen to de blasio
i saw 2 sanitation workers (wearing DSNY safety vests) digging out the crosswalk and putting all of that snow back into the street

Old 01-25-2016, 02:08 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i THINK THE SAME THING.

"Smooshed" snow would only melt faster if weather permits. Otherwise it is just compacted down and likely forms a ice hard layer when temperatures drop over night.

People throw snow in the street simply because it is the first natural instinct and because they can.

If you are shoveling your vehicle out from the curb where is the first natural place you aim for to throw snow? It won't be a sidewalk because people are walking there *and* someone (perhaps you) has shoveled that out. Throw snow back onto someone's freshly shoveled path or driveway and they may find a new use for their shovel.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:18 PM

43,695 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
"

If you are shoveling your vehicle out from the curb where is the first natural place you aim for to throw snow? It won't be a sidewalk because people are walking there *and* someone (perhaps you) has shoveled that out. Throw snow back onto someone's freshly shoveled path or driveway and they may find a new use for their shovel.
Last year I saw a driver throwing all the snow he shoveled from his car on to the sidewalk as I was walking nearby.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:21 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,146,290 times
Insider tip. If I see you shoveling snow into the street, i'm going to double back around and plow you in as far as possible.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:24 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Last year I saw a driver throwing all the snow he shoveled from his car on to the sidewalk as I was walking nearby.

Then he either didn't live in the building behind that sidewalk, and or valued his life cheaply.

Even on the genteel UES supers will come out and bust your *** if they catch you throwing snow back onto their shoveled sidewalks.

Now out on the Rock (Staten Island) trust me there are two things you just don't do; move cones/cans to park in a spot someone has just shoveled out and or throw snow back onto a sidewalk/driveway that has just been cleared.

In both instances often you have drivers who have parked not in front of where they live/own property. So they think who they are by chucking snow wherever long as they get their vehicle dug out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: