Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think many of the Mexicans who work in construction will have their kids get good educations, and will move into professional jobs. You see this in the Southwest a lot.
That's not too surprising. While poor, many of the Mexican immigrants, at least from what I can see in NYC, are very family oriented. So that provides a stable home for the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 12:41 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are a lot of Mexicans in West Harlem too. .
Probably as many Mexicans now as there are Dominicans in West Harlem. Can everyone actually tell who is Mexican by appearance? Mexico is a country not a race. So like most countries in North and South America many races of people live in Mexico. Many adult children of Mexican immigrants will just be counted as Americans even if they "look" Mexican.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Growing to meet the city's demand for cheap labor. While other ethnic groups are busy carving up land and becoming the next generation of the city's power brokers.
Don't sleep on Mexicans, a lot of them are also starting their own businesses bit by bit. I actually see them becoming a pretty formidable community in NYC eventually. NYC is gonna look very different in thirty years or so.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:12 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Probably as many Mexicans now as there are Dominicans in West Harlem. Can everyone actually tell who is Mexican by appearance? Mexico is a country not a race. So like most countries in North and South America many races of people live in Mexico. Many adult children of Mexican immigrants will just be counted as Americans even if they "look" Mexican.
Most Mexicans in this area are pretty obviously mestizo, some leaning very heavily to the native side. Of course there are exceptions. I honestly have not had too much trouble confusing them with other groups. Of course they look like other central americans but El Salvadorians for example are probably the ones that most look like Mexicans and they are mostly concentrated in Long Island.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Mexicans certainly look distinct from Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, and like NooYowkur said, the people they are most likely to be confused for or vice versa are the Salvadorans and Guatemalans who are more common on Long Island rather than Brooklyn or Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Don't sleep on Mexicans, a lot of them are also starting their own businesses bit by bit. I actually see them becoming a pretty formidable community in NYC eventually. NYC is gonna look very different in thirty years or so.
You're right, there are a million Mexican small businesses in NYC these days

I have to imagine some of those Mexican restaurants do very well
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Most Mexicans in this area are pretty obviously mestizo, some leaning very heavily to the native side. Of course there are exceptions. I honestly have not had too much trouble confusing them with other groups. Of course they look like other central americans but El Salvadorians for example are probably the ones that most look like Mexicans and they are mostly concentrated in Long Island.
I totally agree, the groups that one would confuse Mexicans for are far less numerous than Mexicans themselves in NYC. I also haven't had much trouble confusing them.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Listen here. Mexicans are primarily in South Bronx, East Harlem, Central Queens and Sunset Park Brooklyn.
North Shore of Staten Island, Bushwick, Flatbush, parts of Brighton Beach and Bensonhurst. I mean, Central Queens, the South Bronx, and North SI are whole swaths of the city right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Mexicans have always dominated union trades, that's exactly what businesses want to upend unions. I don't think it's praise worthy. Often these contractors use Mexicans and do a poor job, just look at the BQE project and how long that has been in the works.
That has a lot more to do with mismanagement on the upper level than the workers themselves.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
North Shore of Staten Island, Bushwick, Flatbush, parts of Brighton Beach and Bensonhurst. I mean, Central Queens, the South Bronx, and North SI are whole swaths of the city right there.

That has a lot more to do with mismanagement on the upper level than the workers themselves.
Kensington too, for Mexicans. Come to think of it, Mexicans are at least somewhat common in most areas of the city with some exceptions.

And there actually is data for how many Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, and Puerto Ricans live in a zip code, I'm not sure if it's from the most recent census though

Last edited by l1995; 01-30-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-30-2016, 12:36 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:

True. A lot of these people assumed as "Mexicans" are Salvadorians, Ecuadorians, and Peruvians.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:41 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Listen here. Mexicans are primarily in South Bronx, East Harlem, Central Queens and Sunset Park Brooklyn. The Mexicans who migrated to NYC in the past two decades come from Southern Mexico, centered around Puebla and Chiapas. The economy of Southern Mexico was distablized due to NAFTA and The Zapatista movement during the early 90s. The Mexicans in NYC are not from Central Valley of Mexico, Nothern Mexico or Yucatan Peninsula. If any Mexican from these three other regions I have mentioned exist in NYC, they may be more expat type than immigrant and live in high income or hip up and coming areas of the city. As for Mexican population growing fast? I'm not sure. Mexican immigration to the USA has slowed down in recent years. The Mexican immigration to the US may even slow down in the future especially since Mexico might be one of the top 10 global economies in the next two decades. Mexicans in the US are visible in the American Southwest from in states such as California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and Oklahoma. These states were once part of Mexico, and previously the Spanish Empire.
I agree. More immigrants are coming from Asia than Latin America now. A fact that seems to be overlooked.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
True. A lot of these people assumed as "Mexicans" are Salvadorians, Ecuadorians, and Peruvians.
There aren't that many Salvadorans in NYC overall compared to Mexicans, and Ecuadorians/Peruvians generally look distinct from Mexicans

But you're right that it's common for people to incorrectly assume people from other Hispanic ethnicities are Mexican, this happens a lot on Long Island where there aren't many Mexicans overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City