Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I am going to be 45 and I make 90. I may make 97k with OT. Am I loser ?
Well the old rule of thumb was you need to make at least 2.5 time your age. So you are at average.

In high cost areas like Manhattan or Silicon Valley the rule of thumb is 4.0 times age to be average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:47 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
I'm mid thirties and make about $80k per year. My wife makes about $70k and is early thirties. Together we live very well in upper Manhattan.

I may not make a ton, but I also get to work from home three days a week, get over a month paid vacation per year, will retire at 57 with a full pension, have rock solid job security and work 8 hours a day in a semi low stress office and love what I do (tech field). After I retire I'll travel a lot and maybe start my own small company.

I have friends in banking and BIGLAW who make twice what I make but they are overweight, pale, are losing their hair, get sick because of stress all the time and generally hate their job. They get 2 weeks vacation a year, but can never use it as they fear they will be looked at as slackers or lose their job.

Money isn't everything.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I'm mid thirties and make about $80k per year. My wife makes about $70k and is early thirties. Together we live very well in upper Manhattan.

I may not make a ton, but I also get to work from home three days a week, get over a month paid vacation per year, will retire at 57 with a full pension, have rock solid job security and work 8 hours a day in a semi low stress office and love what I do (tech field). After I retire I'll travel a lot and maybe start my own small company.

I have friends in banking and BIGLAW who make twice what I make but they are overweight, pale, are losing their hair, get sick because of stress all the time and generally hate their job. They get 2 weeks vacation a year, but can never use it as they fear they will be looked at as slackers or lose their job.

Money isn't everything.
Sounds like your wife is supporting you. A good tech guy like you should be making at least 140k a year.

Therefore you have to combine hours per week worked for both of you and I bet it is a lot more hours than a run of the mill 140K IT job.

80K is a good bonus in your field. And bonus comes out about now. Meaning you would have made 80K by now in a real IT job instead it takes you to 12-31.

And how does this work with kids. When I am 57 I will have two kids in college and one in HS. Am I supposed to retire and goof off and stick them with massive debt for the rest of their lives so I can lay on the beach at 60?

Plus if I wanted to retire at 57 I would need a base income of at least 750K and save like crazy. I plan on living at least till 90. Inflation is a bear.

When I was a little kid in 1973 my rich next door neighbor had a huge $300 a month pension from retirement in 1953. In the 1960s they used to buy new cars and travel the world as they had SS too. By the time his widow died in 1999 she was almost eating cat food. The $300 was not inflation adjusted.

In 1953 when my Mom was single and was a waitress in Manhattan the business man lunch special was 85 cents and folks gave her a buck and said keep the change.

By 1999 in Manhattan a business mans lunch with a waitress was like 30 bucks. Yet she was still on 300 bucks.

My neighbor the cop who retired in 2004 went down South and said see you I got a 60K pension for life. I heard is now a security guard and wife is also working. Guess what 60K in 2016 is 1/2 a years salary

Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Well the old rule of thumb was you need to make at least 2.5 time your age. So you are at average.

In high cost areas like Manhattan or Silicon Valley the rule of thumb is 4.0 times age to be average.
Oh well. Least my wife loves me.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:47 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
My wife is 56 and she earns 100k. So we are a bunch of losers. But I love her anyway.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
My wife is 56 and she earns 100k. So we are a bunch of losers. But I love her anyway.
If my wife had to work at the age of 56 to support me I would be the loser. If she worked for fun that is different.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:12 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times
Quote:
Sounds like your wife is supporting you. A good tech guy like you should be making at least 140k a year.

Therefore you have to combine hours per week worked for both of you and I bet it is a lot more hours than a run of the mill 140K IT job.

80K is a good bonus in your field. And bonus comes out about now. Meaning you would have made 80K by now in a real IT job instead it takes you to 12-31.

And how does this work with kids. When I am 57 I will have two kids in college and one in HS. Am I supposed to retire and goof off and stick them with massive debt for the rest of their lives so I can lay on the beach at 60?

Plus if I wanted to retire at 57 I would need a base income of at least 750K and save like crazy. I plan on living at least till 90. Inflation is a bear.

When I was a little kid in 1973 my rich next door neighbor had a huge $300 a month pension from retirement in 1953. In the 1960s they used to buy new cars and travel the world as they had SS too. By the time his widow died in 1999 she was almost eating cat food. The $300 was not inflation adjusted.

In 1953 when my Mom was single and was a waitress in Manhattan the business man lunch special was 85 cents and folks gave her a buck and said keep the change.

By 1999 in Manhattan a business mans lunch with a waitress was like 30 bucks. Yet she was still on 300 bucks.

My neighbor the cop who retired in 2004 went down South and said see you I got a 60K pension for life. I heard is now a security guard and wife is also working. Guess what 60K in 2016 is 1/2 a years salary

uhhhhhh....

Old 02-02-2016, 04:02 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
First of all, I live on Long Island (on suffolk/nassau border) and commute to downtown Manhattan every day. So my commute is about 450 a month if I don't take any days off (hence no subway). As the topic title says I recently accepted a new job that was 65K, but I was making 52K working at the same company for the past 18 months; however, in my previous position, I didn't need to take a subway and I was able to work from home at least once a week. Plus I was non-exempt but it would only be at most a few thousand every year, but now I can't really get any extra hours....Overall, I get if you just look at dollars, I'm still getting a lot more at this new position even if my costs from commute are a little higher, but I'm working about 9-10 extra hours per week plus I have about ~30 minutes of commute total per day.

I think this new position is a good next-step in my career (banking) which is one of the reasons I took it, but just hanging out with a lot of my peers, the ones with comparable experience get paid a lot more and the ones that make around the same don't work the same hours I do. My only real credentials are an undergraduate degree and an in-progress MBA that my company is currently helping me pay for.

I started with this company at 23 with a 40,000 salary so I've gone a long way since then, but some part of me just thinks I can be doing a lot better. I'm very thankful to have this job, but based on what I've researched about average NYC salaries, it still seems kind of low and I guess I'm just getting envious of my peers
I agree that it's best to focus on your own success and not concern yourself with comparisons against people who don't even know you exist (and vice versa). If you're proud of the work you've done and think you have potential for continues growth, that's a good position to be in. Others are correct that $65K/annum is anything but wealthy in NYC. That said, it can be enough to live a comfortable life if you are careful with money.

As others have said, most people in NYC don't really make that much. A lot of attention goes to the uber wealthy who reside (or purchase homes) here but most people aren't that well off. Not that I'd encourage you to compare yourself to others but, even in this context, you're doing OK.

GL with the new job!

Old 02-02-2016, 06:24 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
Quote:

My wife makes almost as much as me. We are fine with that. This is not 1955.

Not all "good tech people" make 140k and get 80k bonuses. Actually very few do. Check Glassdoor.

We don't want kids.

Sorry your neighbor the cop is bad with his money.

I know about inflation, thanks. We are very well prepared.

Last edited by WhyRUMad; 02-02-2016 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 06:50 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
65k a year is consider low income in Manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City