Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 03:11 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well yeah. You make it sound like it is somehow just happens to be so special. It was created specifically for working class people! lol

Oh, but many things happened with Parkchester since it was created 80 years ago (there is a book coming out this fall about Parkchester, written by a Yeshiva Univ historian, as I mentioned under a different thread). The fact that you have a working-class (ie, CHEAP) neighborhood in NYC that is also SAFE (say what you will, but the safety level is way above all other "poor" areas in the Bronx - in which other "poor" area do you have local 24/7 security patrols, such as Parkchester Security, and selective rental practices to exclude criminal/loitering element?) - the fact that you have a combination of low income/cheapness and safety anywhere in NYC is actually special.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,412,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I fixed # 4 but otherwise pretty accurate....those blocks immedately north of Bronx Criminal Court are among the highest crime in the borough. Major QOL issues as well. I wouldn't say Van Nest is "bad," however, it just looks run-down.

So how "safe" or "unsafe" is the area around Bronx Lebanon Hospital (now renamed as BronxCare Health System) and vicinity?

Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 AM

34,078 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
So how "safe" or "unsafe" is the area around Bronx Lebanon Hospital (now renamed as BronxCare Health System) and vicinity?
Not safe.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Okay, this is not strictly the subject of the thread, but I think it would be useful to the same people that are interested in the actual subject of this thread: what CHEAP areas of the Bronx are the safest (yes, Riverdale is the safest, but not cheap)? My question is not about "nice" areas, or areas with "amenities" - it is strictly about safety. Where else (except for Parkchester) can you buy a 2-bedroom condo for $220k, and still stay reliably safe?
What is "reliably safe"? Not long ago you were really freaked out about the prospect of actually living in Parkchester (due to safety concerns). Woodlawn, Bedford Park, Norwood, Kingsbridge Heights, maybe Van Cortlandt Village you can probably buy 2 bedroom coops for that price. Condos are going to be really hard to find outside of Parkchester. The fact that condo owners can rent them to whoever they want can be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:36 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
What is "reliably safe"? Not long ago you were really freaked out about the prospect of actually living in Parkchester (due to safety concerns). Woodlawn, Bedford Park, Norwood, Kingsbridge Heights, maybe Van Cortlandt Village you can probably buy 2 bedroom coops for that price. Condos are going to be really hard to find outside of Parkchester. The fact that condo owners can rent them to whoever they want can be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

"Reliably safe": you can rely on the the police statististics that show absence of violent crime in the past year, because that actually matches the reality of young and culturally sheltered/restricted Bangladeshi women walking around leisurely and without fear at 11pm. I was never really freaked out (otherwise would have not bought in Parkchester), but was just wondering about all the strongly conflicting opinions about Parkchester safety that I saw voiced on the Internet (ranging from allegedly extreme gangland to allegedly paradise on earth). I had spent a couple of weeks there myself in 2010 and in 2014 between tenants, and then a total of 6-7 weeks so far this year. Between 2014 and now, police statistics have changed substantially in terms of type/ amount of crime reported, which also matches my subjective sense of much greater safety in Parkchester this year compared with 5 years ago.

Re condo vs co-op, I was never thinking of implications upon renting, but implications upon living in the unit. A condo owner is the sole possessor of the space inside his/her walls, and can do anything with it as long as it is not harmful or disruptive to the neighbors. In my case, eg, it goes without saying that I can use any of my condos as a pied a terre, something that is not at all automatic with co-ops.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,412,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Not safe.
You see, the West Bronx (and varied other parts of the Bronx) is a good example of a life lesson I've learned. That is, just because a neighborhood "looks good visually (or "good enough") shouldn't be taken to necessarily mean that it is safe all-in-all or even at all.

For instance, I find enough of the West Bronx along the Grand Concourse and adjoining vicinity to look rather decent (i.e,. many nice-looking and impressive apartment buidings, parks and park-like settings prevailing enough, impressive and imposing non-residential buildings (i.e., government buildings, cultural institution, places of worship, et al). It rather can look somewhat like greater Queens Blvd. in central Queens (which cuts through Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, and Briarwood) . . . which is a very visually-impressive area. And Bronx Lebanon Hospital itself is a very imposing, impressive, attractive, and modernistic presence. And yet you say the area around it is "not safe". I've heard similar things over time about Baychester/Co-op City, Parkchester (to a degree or at times), and others.

The life lesson: Looks are deceiving . . . or perhaps it should instead be stated as "Looks can be deceiving".

Old 08-14-2019, 09:36 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
"Reliably safe": you can rely on the the police statististics that show absence of violent crime in the past year, because that actually matches the reality of young and culturally sheltered/restricted Bangladeshi women walking around leisurely and without fear at 11pm. I was never really freaked out (otherwise would have not bought in Parkchester), but was just wondering about all the strongly conflicting opinions about Parkchester safety that I saw voiced on the Internet (ranging from allegedly extreme gangland to allegedly paradise on earth). I had spent a couple of weeks there myself in 2010 and in 2014 between tenants, and then a total of 6-7 weeks so far this year. Between 2014 and now, police statistics have changed substantially in terms of type/ amount of crime reported, which also matches my subjective sense of much greater safety in Parkchester this year compared with 5 years ago.

Re condo vs co-op, I was never thinking of implications upon renting, but implications upon living in the unit. A condo owner is the sole possessor of the space inside his/her walls, and can do anything with it as long as it is not harmful or disruptive to the neighbors. In my case, eg, it goes without saying that I can use any of my condos as a pied a terre, something that is not at all automatic with co-ops.
And that works for you. Some people aren't interested in renting their apartments.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post

Bedford Park was the only New York City neighborhood listed in Harvard economist Rav Chetty's top 10 affordable US city neighborhoods with excellent generational mobility in his recently hyped study.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The point wasn't what you would consider... Just saying... Parkchester is what it is, and plenty of Bronx neighborhoods are like that (either somewhat safe or very safe but have ghetto areas not too far away). I've spent plenty of time there... The food scene leaves a lot to the imagination, but it has the basics if you can't do much better... Supermarket options for sure... For someone commuting to and from Parkchester with the express bus or driving (if you can ever find parking) it is ok, although the buildings themselves are dated on the inside. Let's not pretend that there aren't sketchy characters though, and not just by the train station either. It definitely isn't in the top five most dangerous Bronx neighborhoods, but I wouldn't rank it in the top five safest Bronx neighborhoods either.
There are sketchy characters; the sort down on their luck. But sketchy doesn't necessarily mean dangerous. I also want to point out that some of the most sought out areas in the five boroughs have sketchy characters adjacent to the train station. Its more common than not.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:34 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times
Quote:
Okay, this is not strictly the subject of the thread, but I think it would be useful to the same people that are interested in the actual subject of this thread: what CHEAP areas of the Bronx are the safest (yes, Riverdale is the safest, but not cheap)? My question is not about "nice" areas, or areas with "amenities" - it is strictly about safety. Where else (except for Parkchester) can you buy a 2-bedroom condo for $220k, and still stay reliably safe?
I paid a lot less for my two bedroom coop. My maintenance (HOA) is about the same. Includes electric, all other services that condos share and taxes. (that condo owners have to pay taxes in addition, while mine is included in my monthly payment.) The trade-off is stricter rules of what you can and cannot do. But ultimately the bargain is being able to get a turnkey 2 bedroom for under $170K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City