Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 01:11 AM

6 posts, read 15,174 times

Advertisements

I currently have the N8 W2 priority. I believe I have the N8 priority because I haven't put a "Reason For Applying" as yet. My issue is I'm kind of confused on what to put. I applied for NYCHA simply because my mother no longer wants me in her house. It's totally understandable but whatever. I just finished college getting my BA in Psych and I work. I used to pay the light bill but for some reason my mom decided to pay it. I also buy the groceries from time to time but again she decided to take over that as well. She yells and curses that I need to leave now which I'm desperately trying to do. Now to the point what on Earth do I select as my Reason For Applying?

So the options for Reason For Applying on the website are:
-Victim of Domestic Violence,
-Street Homeless,
-Homeless Shelter,
-Residing in Health Facility,
-About to be displaced due to Gov't or Landlord Action
-Overcrowding
-Mobility Impaired
-Have Own Apartment with Rent Hardship More than 50% of Family Income
-Victim of Hate or Bias Crime
-None of the above

Some options are obviously not applicable to me but what to choose? Please help. I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 02:10 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWinter View Post
!
-None of the above

Old 02-22-2016, 02:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
None of the above. Be honest. If you have a job just rent out a room till you legitimately have enough money for your own place,

Old 02-22-2016, 01:10 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
You can't put anything, because none of the applies to you.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:02 AM

6 posts, read 15,174 times
Well I'll figure out something to put. My mom owns the Brownstone we live in and I'm pretty sure she'd be confused as to why I'd leave home to rent out a room in someone else's house. (Although I'm trying to get out of here that's a completely backwards idea). I rather an apartment. I'll just see where this goes.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
If your mother wants you to move out, why would she be confused if you move out?

Old 02-27-2016, 09:48 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Hate to tell you but you will be waiting years upon years to get a place. They are looking to find people without a home a place.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:18 AM

26 posts, read 88,202 times
Hello KWinter,

The need base and working family are two different lists that NYCHA divides. So you can be honest and put NONE OF THE ABOVE because even though you're in need to move, your situation doesn't fall in the NEED BASED category. If NYCHA places you in that list, expect to wait FOREVER because chances of getting called is slim to none. In the Working Family, you will get called sooner but unfortunately, its still a wait. I'm under the Working Family W1, which is a high category (NYCHA reps words, not mine) and I have been certified for a year, waiting on a two bedroom (another reason on top of many) in a development in Manhattan of my choosing. I honestly believe that the list is picked by computer. My cousin and I picked the same boroughs, applied the same time, and wait for two bedrooms...well she waited for 2 bd, at the time bc she has two kids. I only have one and my daughter was under 5 and I was told I was getting a 1bd. Then she turned six and NYCHA changed it to 2bd... My cousin's priority was W2 and she got called first and a year and half later, moved into a 2bd in the Bronx. I got called almost two years later under W1 for the Bronx and had the chance to change it to Manhattan (another reason why is a long wait as well).

Old 06-14-2016, 04:43 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWinter View Post
I currently have the N8 W2 priority. I believe I have the N8 priority because I haven't put a "Reason For Applying" as yet. My issue is I'm kind of confused on what to put. I applied for NYCHA simply because my mother no longer wants me in her house. It's totally understandable but whatever. I just finished college getting my BA in Psych and I work. I used to pay the light bill but for some reason my mom decided to pay it. I also buy the groceries from time to time but again she decided to take over that as well. She yells and curses that I need to leave now which I'm desperately trying to do. Now to the point what on Earth do I select as my Reason For Applying?

So the options for Reason For Applying on the website are:
-Victim of Domestic Violence,
-Street Homeless,
-Homeless Shelter,
-Residing in Health Facility,
-About to be displaced due to Gov't or Landlord Action
-Overcrowding
-Mobility Impaired
-Have Own Apartment with Rent Hardship More than 50% of Family Income
-Victim of Hate or Bias Crime
-None of the above

Some options are obviously not applicable to me but what to choose? Please help. I'd appreciate it!
You could pick

"About to be displaced due to "Landlord" action"
or
None of the above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City