Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:49 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

THE BRONX - Officials sought to reassure Kingsbridge residents and business owners that the planned development of a massive ice-skating center in the area would not displace them at a town hall-style forum Wednesday evening.

Stakeholders raised many concerns at the meeting, at Monroe College, about the project to turn the Kingsbridge Armory building into the new Kingsbridge National Ice Center.

"Development without displacement" was the dominating theme. Residents and business owners told officials they were concerned about gentrification.

http://bronx.news12.com/news/residen...#autoplay=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:50 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Treetop Development | Bronx Development News

http://therealdeal.com/2016/02/01/ma...o-park-rental/

Old 02-25-2016, 09:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Hmm. Kingsbridge is a world away from Mott haven. I don't know how Kingsbridge supposed to gentrify especially since it's far away from job centers of Manhattan.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:03 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
They are actually going forth with the nine rinks?

This is so stupid. If the area doesnt gentrify, no one is going to use it.

It is not really close to the Highway. You have to drive through a few stoplights, and narrow streets that are already congested. It is near the subway, but only Bronx residents can access it. No one in Manhattan will take the trip up there when Chelsea Piers and City Ice are so much closer.

If you want 9 rinks, at least stick it in Westchester or Rockland. I dont think Rockland even has a rink.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Great. I hope the area gentrifies big time. The prices in the area is ripe for middle class families to move in.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:52 AM

481 posts, read 427,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hmm. Kingsbridge is a world away from Mott haven. I don't know how Kingsbridge supposed to gentrify especially since it's far away from job centers of Manhattan.
That kind of depends on which part of midtown or lower Manhattan you're talking about. It's approx 30 mins to Union Square and 40 minutes to the stock exchange area.

The northern tip of Manhattan is gentrifying like mad (prices doubling in the past 3 years) and it's about the same transit-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They are actually going forth with the nine rinks?

This is so stupid. If the area doesnt gentrify, no one is going to use it.

It is not really close to the Highway. You have to drive through a few stoplights, and narrow streets that are already congested. It is near the subway, but only Bronx residents can access it. No one in Manhattan will take the trip up there when Chelsea Piers and City Ice are so much closer.

If you want 9 rinks, at least stick it in Westchester or Rockland. I dont think Rockland even has a rink.

I haven't followed the plan (or followed the money) at all - on the surface it does seem pretty crazy.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:03 AM

436 posts, read 565,160 times
How about they stop complaining and learn how to ice skate? From what I know, Parker and Messier plan to lead and fund hockey initiatives for the disadvantaged and others who often don't get to experience the sport or skating in general. That being said, I don't know feasible nine rinks is, but I hope that this thing is successful.

Also, anyone around Riverdale, Westchester, or upper Manhattan will surely head to this rink instead of going down to Chelsea Piers; especially if it's cheaper. Unfortunately almost all hockey players around the city come from well-off backgrounds but hopefully this project changes that a bit.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:23 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I don't see that area as likely to be gentrified although with the way things are looking at this moment any part of this city looks vulnerable. I also don't think the ice center will attract gentrification.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It is a convenient area overall like much of northwestern bronx but you are right it is far especially considering the 4 is local in the bronx. I would think that the 4 would have to run express in the Bronx for that area to gentrify.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
That kind of depends on which part of midtown or lower Manhattan you're talking about. It's approx 30 mins to Union Square and 40 minutes to the stock exchange area.

The northern tip of Manhattan is gentrifying like mad (prices doubling in the past 3 years) and it's about the same transit-wise.

I haven't followed the plan (or followed the money) at all - on the surface it does seem pretty crazy.
I work in financial district area, that is very generous estimate you are giving. From Kingsbridge/Fordham Rd, it is closer to an hour down to wall street and it is NOT a pleasant ride during rush hour. Very crowded, lots of traffic delays, and it is local in the Bronx. I live near the line and avoided it many years preferring to take the D but I am going to try taking the 4 all the way down again since the D has become very crowded in the last year.

With regards to this olympic ice megaplex. I have mixed feelings about it. It is a huge space so it is hard to find a one-size solution that works well. I was not a big proponent of it being a retail space since it would kill local business and Fordham road is already very close to it. I think some kind of mixed use of the property would have been ideal but it is nice that something different like this is coming to the Bronx so I hope it works out.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 02-26-2016 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City